Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shrub ID?

I have been looking for another plant to attract humminbirds and noticed
the one in the photos at the following link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/030908.html

Aside from the photos, here is what I know about the plant:

It is in Zone 9a and has survived temps down to upper teens last winter.
It is deciduous. Two weeks ago when I last saw both plants (they are
about two miles apart), they had no leaves. The photos showing the
blooms were taken in mid-May, two years ago. The height is approximately
10 feet for the one in the second photo, about eight feet for the one in
the first photo. After the blooms are gone, I have never noticed fruit
on the plant.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com
Old 10-03-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I think that's a Crape Myrtle. There are quite a few different kinds and
colors but from what I can see in the pictures it looks like some sort of
Crape Myrtle. Crape is like 'cape' with an R

Val

Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
[...]

Given the growth pattern I'd have to agree.. One giveaway is the bark
along the branches, it peals away and the wood is typically a nice
white/grey..

Makes good walking sticks. I've got one, it's 15-20' or so now.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/2008 6:06 PM, Val wrote:
[...]

If you mean Lagerstroemia indica, this cannot be correct. The humidity
in Louisiana would cause such mildew that vigorous growth would not be
possible. Even in my low-humidity area, mildew is common on crape
myrtle, much more common than on roses or other plants.

New growth is quite red. Fall foliage turns red-orange without there
being any frost; indeed, a hard frost ends the color.

Finally, I had a crape myrtle for eight years. They had been planted on
my block as street trees. While I saw many hummingbirds in my area, I
never saw one feeding from crape myrtle flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:18:00 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Given the growth pattern I'd have to agree.. One giveaway is the bark
along the branches, it peals away and the wood is typically a nice
white/grey..

Makes good walking sticks. I've got one, it's 15-20' or so now.

How in the hell do you even begin to use a 15-20 ft walking stick?

Charlie

11-16' stilts, how else?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 3/9/2008 6:06 PM, Val wrote:
[...]

Once again, as always, you are full of pompous, pontificating CRAP; as in
crape with no 'e'. Now head off to the University of Louisiana horticulture
site (among many others) and check out their MANY different cultivars of
Lagerstroemia indica. You will find that crape myrtle is one of the most
popular and widely used landscaping plants of the south and southeast. Then
you should probably check out all the images and documentation of
hummingbirds swarming crape myrtle. Contrary your vast *KNOWLEDGE* Santa
Monica is not the be all, end all, center of horticulture. Obviously,
despite all your self touted wisdom, an extremely poor choice was made as to
the cultivar of Lagerstroemia indica moldering in your garden. Many have
been developed that are quite resistant to mildew.

You're a first cousin to that "tree expert guy" aren't you.

Val

Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...

I have been looking for another plant to attract humminbirds and noticed
the one in the photos at the following link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/030908.html

Aside from the photos, here is what I know about the plant:

It is in Zone 9a and has survived temps down to upper teens last winter.
It is deciduous. Two weeks ago when I last saw both plants (they are
about two miles apart), they had no leaves. The photos showing the
blooms were taken in mid-May, two years ago. The height is approximately
10 feet for the one in the second photo, about eight feet for the one in
the first photo. After the blooms are gone, I have never noticed fruit
on the plant.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

I don't think the suggestions of crape myrtle can be correct. To me it looks like a
pomegranate (Punica granatum). Take a look at Google images and see if you
agree. They grow OK here in western Oregon (USDA zone 8).

RB

Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

RichardB wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Yep, I have lots of Crape Myrtles growing in my yard. This definitely
isn't one. The blooms are wrong and the shape of the bush isn't right.
Others have suggested pomegranate on another forum, I'll have to look
that up. I guess it wouldn't be an attractant for hummingbirds?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old 10-03-2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
I have been looking for another plant to attract humminbirds and noticed
the one in the photos at the following link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/030908.html

Aside from the photos, here is what I know about the plant:

It is in Zone 9a and has survived temps down to upper teens last winter.
It is deciduous. Two weeks ago when I last saw both plants (they are about
two miles apart), they had no leaves. The photos showing the blooms were
taken in mid-May, two years ago. The height is approximately 10 feet for
the one in the second photo, about eight feet for the one in the first
photo. After the blooms are gone, I have never noticed fruit on the plant.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

This does not look like a crepe myrtle to me. I live in East Texas, and it
certainly would not fit any of the varieties we have here (although the
blossoms do look somewhat like the blossoms might look at the very end of
their season when the petals of all except the end have dropped). Still, I
have not seen any where the entire tree would look like that. It does look
like a myrtle of some sort, though. The leaves look somewhat like a wax
myrtle, but the flowers do not.

MaryL

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
Yep, I have lots of Crape Myrtles growing in my yard. This definitely
isn't one. The blooms are wrong and the shape of the bush isn't right.
Others have suggested pomegranate on another forum, I'll have to look that
up. I guess it wouldn't be an attractant for hummingbirds?

Eric, if you are at all able to get a leaf or some type of sample of that
plant to most nurseries they could tell you what it was. Are there large,
snarling dogs guarding the garden. Maybe the owners of the property could
tell you.

I did find this picture of an ornamental pomegranate.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...27592024VqcmtX

It really does appear to be pretty close to what you have in your photos.
The thing that stumped me was you saying there was no fruit. Apparently some
double blossom ornamental pomegranate do NOT set fruit so this very well
could be what you are looking for.

Val

Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/2008 6:06 PM, Val wrote:
[...]

Others also question the identification as crape myrtle. They suggest
it might indeed by pomegranate. Now that I've read their replies, I
must say that the flowers do indeed resemble pomegranate. Further,
hummingbirds do feed from pomegranate flowers.

It now appears that you are the one who is full of crap.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
On 3/9/2008 9:35 PM, Val wrote:

Others also question the identification as crape myrtle. They suggest
it might indeed by pomegranate. Now that I've read their replies, I
must say that the flowers do indeed resemble pomegranate. Further,
hummingbirds do feed from pomegranate flowers.

It now appears that you are the one who is full of crap.

--

It's not a question of identifying the tree, it's your blather about not
being able to grow crape myrtle in Louisiana. If you quit moving your lips

Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
[...]

The other image that I have seen of the pomegranate give me a little
pause due to the more tree-like shape. The plants in question really do
resemble shrubs much more than trees and have a somewhat bushy shape
with leaves down to ground level on established plants.

Once the plants leaf out and start blooming I'll get some better images
and I will talk to the property owner when I can catch him/her at home.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com
Old 11-03-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eric is searching for a certain shrub....try this link and see if what you
find. Fran

http://aggiehorticulture.tamu.edu/or...ubs/index.html

Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:32:30 -0500, Eric Miller
wrote:

I have been looking for another plant to attract humminbirds and noticed
the one in the photos at the following link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/030908.html

Aside from the photos, here is what I know about the plant:

It is in Zone 9a and has survived temps down to upper teens last winter.
It is deciduous. Two weeks ago when I last saw both plants (they are
about two miles apart), they had no leaves. The photos showing the
blooms were taken in mid-May, two years ago. The height is approximately
10 feet for the one in the second photo, about eight feet for the one in
the first photo. After the blooms are gone, I have never noticed fruit
on the plant.

How about a closeup of leaves and flowers?

It could be some variety of bottlebrush
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callistemon
except they are not deciduous.

J.

[IMG] code is On

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 03:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 12:11 PM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 03:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 10:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 11:14 AM