Old 21-02-2003, 08:16 AM
jammer

Default Zone 7A Flowering Ground Cover

Hi, I have been all over the net and can't find what i picture in my
mind as the perfect thing to put around my pond.

http://groups.msn.com/JuliesWorld/th...oto&PhotoID=36

The stone has been moved and set into the dirt, but this gives you an
idea. Ideally what i would like is ground cover that flowers teeny
flowers and is 3-4 inches high at the most to spread around the stones
in front. I have caladiums and elephant ears for the back. If it
attracted bugs, that would be even better.

If you can think of anything, please let me know!
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Penny Morgan

Since you have elephant ears and caladiums, I'm assuming it's a shady
location. Even if the area does get some sun, my favorite groundcover is
Lamium 'Beacon Silver'. Frosty white leaves with a green margin developing
pink/purple puffy little flowers in spring and summer. Otherwise, it is
evergreen and forms a beautiful dense mat of leaves through the winter.
Another pretty one is Nancy 'Alba' white flowers or Herman's Pride, which
has jagged edges on the leaves with little yellow flowers. I use Herman
mixed with pansies and ajuga in winter pots for several of my customers.

I also just drew a plan for our subdivision entrance with Lamium as a
groundcover in a full shade area. I'm using Holly Ferns, Palace Purple
Heuchera, Variegated Liriope, Caladiums, Lamium Beacon Silver, Columbine,
Hosta, Japanese Painted Ferns and Carissa Hollies to start. I'm also going
to add Jacob's Ladder and Pulmonaria eventually.

If you do a search on google, you can see many of these plants which might
give you some ideas. Another favorite of mine is black dwarf mondo grass
placed near a Lime colored plant (Coleus or Creeping Jenny). Be careful
with Creeping Jenny - it can be very invasive. It's a fast growing
groundcover that will crawl right through your other plants and into the
grass. It's beautiful, but gets a little too happy for me. I use it in
pots and will use it on a large hill under other perennials. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 22-02-2003, 02:51 AM
jammer

This is to both responders:
The best thing i likes was the lamium. The irish moss was too much
like grass, the sedums are cool but like sunny and this is shade and
part sun. The albas, there are many, but i didn't find Nancy or
Herman's Pride. One of these didn't like my zone. I guess i will keep
looking. I have done much searching on the net before i ever posted
the question. I will ask a nursery about lamium. Thanks so much for
your time. Oh, and, the creeping jenny is under water in my pond. The
more it grows, the better quality of water i will have.
Thanks again,
juls

On 21 Feb 2003 05:58:57 -0800, (jcart003)
wrote:

Have you considered lamium- tough as nails and I have blooms every
time the weather isn't below 32 for a week! (zone 6b) comes in pink,
white or "red". 3-6 inches high, blooms on new growth so can be
trimmed, 1 plant =2feet across in 1 season no problem, but still easy
to control.

Irish/scotch moss- 1 inch high w/tiny flowers spring only nice, can
take foot traffic likes it a bit dry, looks nice in stones.

Various veronicas- I have "georgia blue" sky blue flowers mostly in
spring, likes dry, super tough 2-3 inches high. Also have a veronica
liawensis, it hasn't bloomed yet but should be similar to the other,
but lower and can tolerate foot traffic.

Corsican mint may work there, no flowers (that I have seen), may not
be hardy there.

Sedums- if the roots aren't wet they make interesting covers, I have
about 10 types!

wooly thyme- low interesting foliage, likes it very dry!

I also grow an herb and I can't think of the name for anything... it
is used in May wine, smells like new mown hay, has white flowers in
spring... leaves in whorls. I feel so stupid! I have grown thousands
in my greenhouse! any way it seems to do well with lamium.
Hope these help!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 22-02-2003, 05:39 PM
jcart003

THe herb I couldn't remember is sweet woodruff, it will take shade
very well, and is a pretty/interesting leaf till hard frost.
I love lamium, it will suit anywhere well, great leaves and flowers.
Don't dicount sedums, see if you can find someone to give you some
cuttings, they root without effort and I have been suprised how much
shade they take, as long as it is dry. I just stick a cutting into a
pocket in my rocks, esp. walls and they add a really neat effect!
Finally consider mixing covers, I like the effect and then they can
decide who does best exactly where, but then I have a pretty wild
garden "style"!

Old 23-02-2003, 12:39 AM
animaux

Another one to look into is frog fruit. I forget just now the botanical name,
but it can be found online doing a search. It's a native and has very small
flowers, but it does support ground dwelling creatures as it is a native plant.
I am not sure where it is hardy to, but it grows very well in Texas. I bought
one 4 inch pot and divided it up into 48 plantlets which are in the greenhouse
and filling out amazingly. No fuss to native plants.