Old 28-03-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Conifer Pine Mulch Toxic or otherwise bad for the garden?

Hi there,

Its Autumn here in Melbourne, Australia. I have a row of conifer pine
trees - medium size - dark green leaves. They are about 6 metres tall and
are due for a good prune back.

I believe they are called Castlewellan Gold.

They don't have seeds, drop many leaves but they do grow.

Here's a link to a photo.
http://www.ballarat.net/avalon/cypress.htm

I thought of lopping off the top of the trees- mulching them including the
leaves finely - and then using them as mulch for my rose garden. I'm
allergic to the pine leaves so I'm getting tree pruner to do the job.

One old grizzled tree pruner however warned me that using fresh conifer pine
mulch was a very bad idea and will kill the roses or any other plant.

Is using conifer mulch for the rose garden a bad idea? I didn't realize it
was toxic.

Old 28-03-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
Hi there,

Its Autumn here in Melbourne, Australia. I have a row of conifer pine
trees - medium size - dark green leaves. They are about 6 metres tall and
are due for a good prune back.

Good questions and I am glad you asked them questions. I have distanced my
self from other posters here. They might tell you anything.

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

I thought of lopping off the top of the trees- mulching them including the
leaves finely - and then using them as mulch for my rose garden. I'm
allergic to the pine leaves so I'm getting tree pruner to do the job.

Dr. Shigo always insisted not to use fresh chips because of disease.
However composted for a years was greatly helpful if applied correctly. Do
not use fresh chips. The protoplasm from the living parenchyma cells gets
smeared all over the place and attract undesirables that can and do do nasty
things above as well as below ground. Compost them in a pile for a years
and then here are mulching suggestions based on tree biology.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

One old grizzled tree pruner however warned me that using fresh conifer
pine mulch was a very bad idea and will kill the roses or any other plant.

It is a bad idea. One I used once until my professor in tree biology that
was a mycologist stooped me.

Is using conifer mulch for the rose garden a bad idea? I didn't realize it
was toxic.

Not if you compost it for a year or more. The longer the better.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 28-03-2008, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Dr. Shigo always insisted not to use fresh chips because of disease.
However composted for a years was greatly helpful if applied correctly.
Do not use fresh chips. The protoplasm from the living parenchyma cells
gets smeared all over the place and attract undesirables that can and do
do nasty things above as well as below ground. Compost them in a pile for
a years and then here are mulching suggestions based on tree biology.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Not if you compost it for a year or more. The longer the better.

Thanks for replying! Anything I can do to hurry the process? Adding blood
and bone or lime etc..?

Old 28-03-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Dr. Shigo always insisted not to use fresh chips because of disease.
However composted for a years was greatly helpful if applied correctly.
Do not use fresh chips. The protoplasm from the living parenchyma cells
gets smeared all over the place and attract undesirables that can and do
do nasty things above as well as below ground. Compost them in a pile
for a years and then here are mulching suggestions based on tree biology.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Not if you compost it for a year or more. The longer the better.

Thanks for replying! Anything I can do to hurry the process? Adding blood
and bone or lime etc..?

You could add reasonable amounts of ammonium nitrate (AN) (fast release
nitrogen fertilizer) to the chip pile and that will stimulate the decay
fungi. The things is that once the contents (protoplasm) of the parenchyma
cells is no more, the problem is over. The faster the wood chips decay
probably the faster this happens. AN does have the potential to pollute
ground water so please go lightly. Also adding a little water and turning
the pile form time to time will help. The micro we are concerned with are
those that attack defenseless cells. Usually when you start to get that
good earth smell and the color darkens you are alright. I decide by smell.

Old 28-03-2008, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
You could add reasonable amounts of ammonium nitrate (AN) (fast release
nitrogen fertilizer) to the chip pile and that will stimulate the decay
fungi. The things is that once the contents (protoplasm) of the
parenchyma cells is no more, the problem is over. The faster the wood
chips decay probably the faster this happens. AN does have the potential
to pollute ground water so please go lightly. Also adding a little water
and turning the pile form time to time will help. The micro we are
concerned with are those that attack defenseless cells. Usually when you
start to get that good earth smell and the color darkens you are alright.
I decide by smell.

That sounds like a good idea!! Thank you for that advice!

Old 28-03-2008, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"YMC" wrote in message
[...]

Another person might tell you that using fresh pine chips invites
artillery fungus which is also called the "sphere thrower". Usually pine
mulch will simply lower the pH of the soil, making it more acidic. If
you are only using pine chips from your own trees, it is probably safe
to use it. If there is a problem with artillery fungus,"sphere thrower"
fungus, in the area then it is best to avoid it.

Secondly, any chemical fertilizers will kill the natural, and desired,
micro flora and fauna in you soil. Use fish emulsion or some other
organic source.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 28-03-2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Another person might tell you that using fresh pine chips invites
artillery fungus which is also called the "sphere thrower". Usually pine
mulch will simply lower the pH of the soil, making it more acidic. If
you are only using pine chips from your own trees, it is probably safe
to use it. If there is a problem with artillery fungus,"sphere thrower"
fungus, in the area then it is best to avoid it.

Secondly, any chemical fertilizers will kill the natural, and desired,
micro flora and fauna in you soil. Use fish emulsion or some other
organic source.
--

Thanks Billy.

My garden is mainly clay soil. A bit of pine mulch would probably do it
good.

The trees look pretty healthy to me. Green, strong, no sign of yellowing,
any more healthier and I think that'd get up and walk. I don't think they
suffer from any disease.

The latest tree pruner suggested placing the mulch in a seperate part of the
garden which is hidden. We'll do that and keep it there for awhile til its
safer to use.

Old 28-03-2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"YMC" wrote in message
[...]

I agree 100% The more composted the wood chips the less likely you are to
get artillery fungus. Its associated with the parenchyma cells.

Usually pine
mulch will simply lower the pH of the soil, making it more acidic. If
you are only using pine chips from your own trees, it is probably safe
to use it. If there is a problem with artillery fungus,"sphere thrower"
fungus, in the area then it is best to avoid it.

Secondly, any chemical fertilizers will kill the natural, and desired,
micro flora and fauna in you soil. Use fish emulsion or some other
organic source.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

[IMG] code is On

conifer pine mulch update YMC Gardening 19 16-10-2008 02:38 AM
Conifer Pine Mulch YMC Australia 2 10-10-2008 07:14 AM
Conifer Pine Mulch YMC[_2_] Australia 7 28-03-2008 09:45 PM