GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   seddlings have thin stems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/172693-seddlings-have-thin-stems.html)

Fish'n in the dark 07-04-2008 12:43 AM

seddlings have thin stems

I have planted seeds in growing trays. I was wondering why some of the
plants seem to have a very thin stem at the soil level.
The rest of the plant stem is thick but the thinning of the stems seems like
it will not support the plants and some of them are falling over.
I use a floresent lighting system after the seeds have germinated.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Billy[_4_] 07-04-2008 01:35 AM

seddlings have thin stems

In article 3fdKj.31638$rd2.12367@pd7urf3no,
"Fish'n in the dark" wrote:

I have planted seeds in growing trays. I was wondering why some of the
plants seem to have a very thin stem at the soil level.
The rest of the plant stem is thick but the thinning of the stems seems like
it will not support the plants and some of them are falling over.
I use a floresent lighting system after the seeds have germinated.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Set the lights as close as possible without touching the seedlings.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Kay Lancaster 07-04-2008 10:42 AM

seddlings have thin stems

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:43:59 GMT, Fish'n in the dark wrote:
I have planted seeds in growing trays. I was wondering why some of the
plants seem to have a very thin stem at the soil level.
The rest of the plant stem is thick but the thinning of the stems seems like
it will not support the plants and some of them are falling over.
I use a floresent lighting system after the seeds have germinated.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Sounds like you may be dealing with "damping off", a fungal disease of
seedlings. Try increasing both the relative humidity and air circulation
around the seedlings, or use a fungicide on the seedlings.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/IPM/greenh...ampingofgh.htm

Some gardeners report success from watering with room-temperature chamomile
tea or sprinkling with cinnamon.