GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Massive Kumara (sweet potato) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173219-massive-kumara-sweet-potato.html)

George.com 19-04-2008 10:08 AM

Massive Kumara (sweet potato)

I dug out some of my kumara (sweet potatos) today. One massive tuber is 30
cm long and 45 cm round. The kumara must like the soil.

rob

PDM 19-04-2008 11:21 AM

Massive Kumara (sweet potato)

What kind of soil you got? What you feeding them?

PDM

George.com 19-04-2008 01:15 PM

"George.com" wrote in message
I dug out some of my kumara (sweet potatos) today. One massive tuber is 30
cm long and 45 cm round. The kumara must like the soil.

rob

its a raised garden a couple years old. It had a mixture of loamy soil,
mushroom compost & organic matters such as grass clippings & old hay mixed
up plus vegetable matter like mustard all mixed together. Full of organic
matter. A few months ago it had a top dressing of compost and horse poop. We
have had a very dry summer, very dry. 4 1/2 months with FA rain and I have
not watered the kumara much. I have put a trickle hose across the patch a
few times.

rob

PDM 20-04-2008 12:03 PM

Massive Kumara (sweet potato)

snip

Sounds like it's very good soil; so no wonder you got such good results. I
guess that all the organic matter kept the soil from drying out. Wonder how
big if you had watered?

PDM

Terry Waters 23-09-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George.com (Post 785396)
I dug out some of my kumara (sweet potatos) today. One massive tuber is 30
cm long and 45 cm round. The kumara must like the soil.

rob

I have some sweet potatoes in 8" pots which I grew from my own cuttings. Will they over winter to produce potatoes next year

Terry