GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Bedding Plants be Planted Now? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173650-can-bedding-plants-planted-now.html)

Tashlow 29-04-2008 05:49 PM

Can Bedding Plants be Planted Now?

I am just beginning to get into gardening, and have bought a load of bedding plants online from a great website called www.gardeningdirect.com. Am I safe to plant these outside yet, the weatherman is staying we may get some ground frost still? Dont wont to waste my money and lose these bedding plants... Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Phisherman[_1_] 29-04-2008 09:24 PM

Can Bedding Plants be Planted Now?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:49:21 +0100, Tashlow
wrote:

I am just beginning to get into gardening, and have bought a load of
bedding plants online from a great website called
www.gardeningdirect.com. Am I safe to plant these outside yet, the
weatherman is staying we may get some ground frost still? Dont wont to
waste my money and lose these bedding plants... Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Find your average last frost date. Planting soon after that date is
recommended, but there's no guarantee. I put out the less-sensitive
plants that I can cover/protect easily, then finally put out tomatoes,
peppers, coleus, etc. I used pots, buckets, and old bed sheets when
we had frost warnings. I did this once this year, and as it turned
out there was no frost. Our last frost date was April 15, but it
dipped into the upper 30's early this morning. Last week we had
80-degree temperatures. Serious gardeners watch the weather, and some
are obsessive about it.

JoeSpareBedroom 30-04-2008 05:11 PM

"Tashlow" wrote in message

I am just beginning to get into gardening, and have bought a load of
bedding plants online from a great website called
www.gardeningdirect.com. Am I safe to plant these outside yet, the
weatherman is staying we may get some ground frost still? Dont wont to
waste my money and lose these bedding plants... Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Where do you live? Your question can't be answered without that information.