GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I need help to Identify a Flower ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173719-i-need-help-identify-flower.html)

NathanHornby 01-05-2008 01:21 PM

I need help to Identify a Flower ...

Hi!

I'm a photographer and recently returned from a trip to a public garden where I snapped this flower: http://www.nathanhornby.co.uk/misc/nameme.jpg (Attachment system doesn't seem to work?)

I'm having trouble finding out what it is, but am thinking it's perhaps a primrose? Sorry that the leaves aren't visible.

Latin names preferable but anything to help is appreciated :)

Thanks.

Paulo da Costa[_2_] 01-05-2008 02:50 PM

where I snapped this flower: http://tinyurl.com/3uq9vd (Attachment
system doesn't seem to work?)

I'm having trouble finding out what it is, but am thinking it's perhaps
a primrose? Sorry that the leaves aren't visible.

It looks like Cistus (rockrose).

Paulo

Sheldon[_1_] 01-05-2008 03:41 PM

NathanHornby wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3uq9vd(

I'm having trouble finding out what it is, but am thinking it's perhaps
a primrose? �Sorry that the leaves aren't visible.

Looks like Rose of Sharon.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek040622.html

Stewart Robert Hinsley 01-05-2008 04:29 PM

I need help to Identify a Flower ...

In message
,
Sheldon writes
NathanHornby wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3uq9vd(

I'm having trouble finding out what it is, but am thinking it's perhaps
a primrose? 0

Looks like Rose of Sharon.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek040622.html

Definitely not a primrose, and definitely not a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus
syriacus). The other suggestion that it is a Cistus is in the right
area; it's at least in that family.

There's maybe too much yellow in the colour for Cistus (they're white to
pink or purple), but otherwise it looks about right. So I googled for
images of the hybrids x Halimiocistus. It looks like it is x
Halimiocistus wintonensis, and likely the cultivar 'Merrist Wood Cream'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Cistaceae/Genera/gallery.html

Stewart Robert Hinsley 02-05-2008 10:01 AM

I need help to Identify a Flower ...

In message , Jacqueline
Davidson writes
A member of the hibiscus family?

No. Markers for hibiscus and related genera are the fusion of the
filaments into a tube, and a single branched style with (usually 5)
capitate (discoid or capitellate) stigmas.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com

NathanHornby 02-05-2008 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your very detailed help; It's much appreciated!

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again as I'm often stumped on species I snap when out and about.

Cheers,

Nathan.