Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article , Charlie wrote:

Can you fillet them?

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use
a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin
off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you
score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in
chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time...
Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

They'll sometimes go for
nightcrawlers, but prefer sweet. I've also had good luck with anise
flavored bait. Big time fun in England.

I have _tons_ of red wrigglers living in my back yard!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bill wrote:

Folks in our area used to can lots of carp. THe pressuring took care
of the bones and the flavor was reminiscent of tuna. Pretty damned
good eatin' it was.

Never canned any fish or meat. Dried fish in a dehydrator and froze
meat.

Mom used to can meat. It keeps for years that way. A pressure cooker is
a godsend.

Gotta ask ya' this one....you and your dad ever noodle for catfish?

Unknown to me.

That always gave me the willys, you just *knew* what was comin', but I
never got comfortable doing it. I knew some guys what near got
drownded using this technique. Brushpiles were dangerous. Sure as hell
got skinned up fierce once in a while. Never happened to me, but
sometimes bank holes held things other than cats.

Charlie, feelin' kind of ........elderly...and missin' the old fun! ;-)

I'm not feeling elderly but I'd like to sleep sound and not know what
Tinnitus and other health things mean. Looking at my efforts to be
healthy I some times the effort was for naught. But when I jump over a
curb I think yea.

Bill

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night.
Works well for me.

I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)

Stretching exercises keep me mobile.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 17:22:07 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Casu Marzu, no doubt;-)

Ugh. I'll pass.
There are some raw things even _I_ won't eat. I'll draw the line at
maggots. g

I do enjoy Sashimi and raw beef but will not eat raw pork or chicken.
The texture leaves much to be desired for one thing.

My son turned me onto raw, thinly sliced beef. It is really good.

A couple years ago I stupidly ate a few raw shrimp, without even
thinking about the consequences. Vibrio, for one! Nothing ended up
happening, but it was one the best tasting meats I have eaten.

It is good, but I prefer it minimally cooked. When I cook shrimp, I do
it in a very hot pan with butter and olive oil with garlic, dill weed
and lemon pepper (salt free). Toss it around in the pan until it just
turns pink.

I like raw octopus and tuna, but not squid. Squid gotta be braised or
deep fried. ;-d

You are right, rare beef is the best!! Sear that baby over really,
really hot and crust the outside.......wow. Philly style. When Dad
died, I inherited his Big Green Egg. I get that baby up to about 750F
and give thick steaks about two mins on each side then slam the vents
shut for another couple. Orgasmic.

lol I know what you mean! Did you see my jpeg?

I can eat most veggies raw or cooked. OB gardening, I really need to
consider putting in more chard. I love the stuff! I'm also thinking
about picking up some beets from the grocery store just to grow the
greens. Dad loves beets but I cannot stand them. I love the greens
only. ;-d I've noted a trend at the stores now where they've quit
chopping off the greens. For awhile there, you could not get beets with
the leaves.

Chard is wunnerful stuff and you get a *lot* from the plants. We
freeze like spinach, the extra.

It also grows forever!

You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat
'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple
weeks.......mmmmmmmm.

I've made pickled eggs using beet juice from the cans and pickle juice
from the jars I buy at the grocery store. :-) That's a way to cheat
making your own cucumber or okra pickles. Get the brand of pickles you
like from the store, (I like Claussens), eat the pickles and save the
commercial juice for pickling! I keep it in the 'frige.

Hmmm.......just a suggestion....we started growing Chioggia beets, look
like a red and white bullseye. The tops are excellant and the root is
different from red beets. Cooks nearly white and is rather sweet and
lacks that typical beet earthyness, IMO. I've had them shaved in
salads and they are good raw....again, IMO. ;-)

Hm. I'll have to look for that! I like to steam radishes in stews and
cooked veggie mixes, greens and all.

I've not seen carrot greens in ages. I like to feed fresh greens to
Freya, my Goffin's Cockatoo.
--

I've been reading recently about eating all sorts of greens, and it
seems that most overthing we eat main crop, the leaves are edible too.

Yes they are! See above for radish greens. :-) Those are tossed by most
people.

I never even though about eating the rest of the plant, of say broccoli
and carrots and radishes. Michael Pollan started me thinking down this
path.

Oh gods. Both Broccoli and Cauliflower greens are GOOD! I always add
them to the steaming mix. ;-d But, I do love greens. Never tried
eating carrot tops, just fed them to the bird. I imagine, if nothing
else, they'd be good for stock. They have a rather intense flavor. I
always use celery leaves as well, and I freeze the tough asparagus stems
to use in stock.

Good eats, and too many words ;-)
Charlie

Indeed! :-) I finally started saving a LOT more trimmings in the
freezer for stock. I've been amazed at the difference that "garbage" has
made in the intensity of my stock flavor. I use stock mostly for making
rice. I never cook rice in just water.

I've got some beef rib bones from a local BBQ place that I go to
occasionally. I'll be using that smoky beef stock to make lentils.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:51:18 -0400, Bill wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat
'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple
weeks.......mmmmmmmm.

We sort of think of this as pickled eggs dyed red.

Bill German good stuff

Oh yes indeed....you have some *great* food heritage...we love german
eats.

When we lived in KC, we found one authentic german eatery, hole in the
wall that opened into Munich, authentic german proprietors, best
schnitzel ala holstein and fried cabbage I ever had......second best
food in town......gates bbq was first. ;-)

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Most of the time, I cook my steak rare. ;-d

http://i4.tinypic.com/4mkzc40.jpg

Seared on the outside, chilled, and served in a salad.
A creative way to serve steak leftovers!

Try marinading the thinly cut beef in vinaigrette for an hour or two, or
over night. Serve with cold leeks or asparagus cut into 1" to 2"
lengths, and French bread. Bread, cheese, and red wine, afterwards.
--

Billy

Ooh, sounds yummy! I often use a vinaigrette marinade for grilled
chicken over a wood fire. Marinating the asparagus prior to grilling
works too. I have one of those veggie grill thingies for the wood grill.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:33:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Can you fillet them?

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use
a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin
off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you
score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in
chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time...
Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.
--

Yep. It is pretty quick after you get the hang of it.

BTW....if so inclined, both the roe sacs (female) and milt sacs (male)
are good eating...awfully rich, in particular the carp nuts. We
hillbillys like our oysters of any sorts. ;-)

Charlie

I've eaten roe sacks but have not tried milt sacks.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night.
Works well for me.

I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)

Glad to know we aren't the only ones like this. Fan always at night.
When we travel we must carry a fan. Winter and summer. Night silence
is....unnerving. ;-)

I've met others like this too.
When I went hunting last month, the dead silence out on the prairie
(except for the occasional screech of the barn owls in the old shed next
to the trailer) made it so I could not sleep. I bought a small fan at
wal-mart post-haste!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

;-D

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.

That's what I get for not reading the entire post before replying. g
I was not fully awake yet. ;-)

Sorry!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.
--

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens
sure do eat well!

Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)

Charlie

I'm wondering if I ought to try preparing a Haggis recipe using Tripe.
Sheep stomach is not available at the grocery stores here. ;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:55:26 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and
bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)

Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different
song. :-)

Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.

Care
Charlie

We have alligator gar around here. I've noted that many fisherman toss
them on the bank.

I've never caught one. Might consider spear fishing for one. I'm not
convinced an average fishing line would hold one with those teeth!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used
as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp':
http://www.charliecarp.com/