GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173835-tomato-emergency-help.html)

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 06:15 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Billy[_4_] 04-05-2008 06:32 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

You should replace them.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html

Laura at theGardenPages 04-05-2008 09:08 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

They will probably not recover. How crappy!

At least cut off any distorted growth, try washing the plant off. But
don't hold your breath, I'm sorry. Plus, I don't think you want to
eat anything that plant produces now....

Once my ex-husband got crazy with the weed n' feed, sprayed all the
plants in the yard. It was not pretty. I went on a spree at my
favorite nursery, but it didn't make up for losing my babies.

Go get some crazy fun heirlooms or something. Maybe that will take the
sting off your loss.

PDM 04-05-2008 10:24 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Katey Didd" wrote in message
I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

Sorry, they will die. It's the way Round Up works I'm afraid. I know
someone who lost his entire crop at a local allotment because some prat in
the next plot did the same.

PDM.

Sheldon[_1_] 04-05-2008 01:34 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

This is a case of intentional malicious spite work... time for some
tit for tat... first opportunity toss one of your old bras behind the
seat of your nasty neighbor hubby's car.

Tom J 04-05-2008 04:16 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

Katey Didd wrote:
I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had
flower clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later
with Round-Up and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from
the drift. Will they recover and produce fruit or will they remained
deformed and not bear? Please, does anyone know? Should I replace
them or will they recover?

Only a week in the ground - start over. There will be little
difference in harvest time even if those did survive, which is
unlikely, thus losing more time.

Tom J

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 04:54 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will
they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

You should replace them.

Yes, I think if the new growth this week is still deformed I will. They were
such healthy sturdy plants, I feel sick.

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 05:00 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2008 00:15:32 -0500, "Katey Didd"
wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will
they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

The neighbors? Definitely replace them. g

Yes. The last owners of their lot let weeds and vines grow all over the
fence and side of their yard. They're cleaning up the property which is
good. They claim they saw rats. I've seen no rats but it's possible. Had I
known they were going to spray with weed killer I would have covered the
plants with tarp.

Sorry, all joking aside, this is absolutely DISGRACEFUL! I'd probably
replace them, but somebody more knowledgeable will give you a more
definite answer. AFAIK, main thing is not to waste a lot of rowing
time if you're in a short growing season area. Are you?

No, our season lasts until late October so there is time yet.

Do the neighbors know what they have done? Hope they are
the kind you can explain what happened, to avoid future probs.

Yes, they will let me know next time so I can cover the garden. I also ask
them to wait until a very calm day to spray. They understand. I talk to her
this morning. I know they need to clean out that side of their yard of weeds
and other wild vegetation. They didn't know about drift.

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 05:03 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Laura at theGardenPages" wrote in message
They will probably not recover. How crappy!

At least cut off any distorted growth, try washing the plant off. But
don't hold your breath, I'm sorry. Plus, I don't think you want to
eat anything that plant produces now....

Once my ex-husband got crazy with the weed n' feed, sprayed all the
plants in the yard. It was not pretty. I went on a spree at my
favorite nursery, but it didn't make up for losing my babies.

Go get some crazy fun heirlooms or something. Maybe that will take the
sting off your loss.

Yes. I will have to go to town and see what they have available. Most have
small plants and these were already nice sized with flower clusters. I cut
off the distorted parts. If they don't recover this week I will replace
them.

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 05:07 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"PDM" pdcm99minus this wrote in message

"Katey Didd" wrote in message
I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift.
Will they recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not
bear? Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they
recover?

Sorry, they will die. It's the way Round Up works I'm afraid. I know
someone who lost his entire crop at a local allotment because some prat in
the next plot did the same.

His whole allotment. That is a shame. The okra and peppers look fine in our
garden. Just the toms reacted. The other year the people on the other side
of us sprayed the driveway on breezy day and bye bye to our flower bed. I
moved the flowerbed 50' from their drive now. People spray and do not think
of drift.

I am going to town on Wednesday. I will buy all new plants. These were from
private person and good size but she has no more to sell.

PDM.

Katey Didd 04-05-2008 05:10 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will
they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

This is a case of intentional malicious spite work... time for some
tit for tat... first opportunity toss one of your old bras behind the
seat of your nasty neighbor hubby's car.

They did not know about drift and are so sorry. Better to remain friends
with the neighbors than to have enemies next door.

zxcvbob 04-05-2008 07:28 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

Katey Didd wrote:

"Laura at theGardenPages" wrote in message
They will probably not recover. How crappy!

At least cut off any distorted growth, try washing the plant off. But
don't hold your breath, I'm sorry. Plus, I don't think you want to
eat anything that plant produces now....

Once my ex-husband got crazy with the weed n' feed, sprayed all the
plants in the yard. It was not pretty. I went on a spree at my
favorite nursery, but it didn't make up for losing my babies.

Go get some crazy fun heirlooms or something. Maybe that will take the
sting off your loss.

Yes. I will have to go to town and see what they have available. Most
have small plants and these were already nice sized with flower
clusters. I cut off the distorted parts. If they don't recover this week
I will replace them.

That doesn't sound like Round-Up damage, that sounds like 2,4-d damage.
They might recover, but it'll set them back a couple of weeks.

Bob

Billy[_4_] 04-05-2008 07:46 PM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Katey Didd" wrote:

I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had flower
clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later with
Round-Up
and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from the drift. Will
they
recover and produce fruit or will they remained deformed and not bear?
Please, does anyone know? Should I replace them or will they recover?

This is a case of intentional malicious spite work... time for some
tit for tat... first opportunity toss one of your old bras behind the
seat of your nasty neighbor hubby's car.

They did not know about drift and are so sorry. Better to remain friends
with the neighbors than to have enemies next door.

All the same, offer them some tomatoes from your harvest so that
they get the point;-)

Katey Didd 06-05-2008 11:38 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Katey Didd wrote:

[...]

What does the damage from Round-Up look like on tomatoes?

Bob

Katey Didd 06-05-2008 11:43 AM

tomato emergency...... help!!!!!!!!!!

"Tom J" wrote in message
m...
Katey Didd wrote:
I set my tomatoes out a little over a week ago. Some already had
flower clusters. The neighbor sprayed the fence row a few days later
with Round-Up and now our tomatoe's new growth is all distorted from
the drift. Will they recover and produce fruit or will they remained
deformed and not bear? Please, does anyone know? Should I replace
them or will they recover?

Only a week in the ground - start over. There will be little difference in
harvest time even if those did survive, which is unlikely, thus losing
more time.

I'm going to replace them this week. Bummer......... :(

Tom J