Old 23-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Sandman

Default Eaten alive in NC...What's the best mosquito control? Magnet? Deleto? Sweat socks?

Hi,

Well, it's about that time of year again when I look out my window
wanting to do more work in my yard, but finding myself not wanting to
because of the mosquitos here in NC. I don't like deet or chemical
sprays on my skin - they just annoy me. My lovely wife is not
bothered at all by mosquitos she says they don't bite her - I eat the
same as her, etc. but why do they bug me?

Last year, I tried the catnip trick where I grew a ton of catnip and
crushed the leaves and rubbed them on my skin. I rubbed them on till
my skin turned green, but it didn't help. Mosquitos still got me

I've been researching these Mosquito magnets for over a year and find
mixed reviews. My Mom bought one and sent it back. But I don't think
she moved it to adjust for wind or anything. Just plugged it in and
still got bitten. Someone posted to Google that you need to hang a
used sweat sock from the thing to get it to work. Mom didn't do that
either.... Do any of you have luck with the magnet?

I've heard of some blue light thing that attracts mosquitos and does a
good job but that's all they said is it's called a blue light. can't
find anything about it.

I also tried the "yard guard" spray last year, but it didn't work for
even 5 minutes.

I find the mosquitos lingering around my rain barrel. They cannot get
in, but I think they sense the water so they swarm it. Someone told
me if I put some goldfish in the barrel and removed the cover netting,
they'd kill off all the mosquitos. That doesn't make much sense to
me. Will the "dunks" do it?

Anyway, sorry I've written so much here. Just pestered by the pests!

Thanks,
B.
Old 23-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Jessica

Have a still water pond in the back of my property in Northwest Washington.
The mosquitos last summer were horrible. Thankfully they only ventured away
from our pond at night so we just keep the windows shut and stayed inside
when it got dark.

This summer we'd like to be outside more during the nighttime so we are
probaley going to put goldfish in the pond and devise a way to keep the
herings and racoons from fishing them out. We're also going to buy tiki
sticks (or whatever you call them) and special candles that repel the
buggers. Also, the blue light not only attracts the mosquitos but it zaps
them too. I also heard that fabric softeners repel mosquitos, but I heard
that in an email so who knows how true it is.

-Jessi

om...

Old 23-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Krishur

The mosquito magnet saved my yard. We have wetlands on the back of our
property and the mosquitoes were so bad that unless one was standing in
direct sun you were swarmed.

When we put it out the problem was quickly resolved but we didn't get hardly
any mosquitoes in the net. We got it toward the end of the season and
weren't sure why we weren't getting bitten but we could always tell when it
ran out of gas, that's when we'd start to get bitten again. Last year we put
it out first thing in spring and weren't bothered at all, spring, summer and
fall--even though there never seemed to be many bugs in the bag. In addition
to getting the mosquitoes, it collected a ton of little black biting bugs, I
think they are No-See-Ums.

I think the trick is that you have to pay up for the commercial model, I've
seen reports that the home model doesn't have enough suction. I have mine
placed south west of the wetlands.

I wouldn't trade my MM for anything, not even a whole garden of Japanese
Hepaticas.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 24-04-2003, 12:20 AM
paghat

In article ,
(Sandman) wrote:

[...]

I put "tuffy minnows" in my rain barrel. They don't get bigger than two
or three inches. There are pink & white tuffies that are easier to see
than black ones in deep water. They're winter-hardy even under an iced
surface. They never let even one mosquito wriggler escape their notice.

But ystrerday at a nursery, I saw a puddle of water & leaves no deeper
than about three inches, & it was full of wrigglers. Mosquitos will always
find SOMEwhere to reproduce.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Old 24-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Collie

Sandman wrote:

[...]

I don't have any info mosquito "control," but like you, mosquitoes
are very attracted to me. I live in a very damp area in Florida (creek
behind our house, sloping yard with inadequate drainiage) and
mosquitoes literally swarm. When I work out in the yard, besides my
jeans, long sleeves, and work gloves, I slather Avon Skin-So-Soft on
every square inch of exposed skin (face, neck, ears, and the part in my
hair!) The mosquito-repellant properties of Avon Skin-So-Soft are not
merely urban legend--both my husband and I have been using it for years
and it's phenomenal.

Old 24-04-2003, 03:32 AM

get the expensive commercial machines ... they do work. one guy lives basically in a
swamp and he bought 2 so he could sit out by his pond. Ingrid

"Krishur" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Sandman

"Krishur" wrote in message ...
[...]

Kristen and others:

Thanks for the followups. So you think I'd need the pro model? The
Liberty wouldn't do? I'm on about 3/4 of an acre and moneywise I'd
have trouble flipping for the $1200+ Pro model. I guess what I'm
thinking is if I got the Liberty and hung a sweat sock from it like
the other guy recommended

But if I MUST get the PRO model, I guess you gotta do what you gotta
do...

How long does your tank last on yours? a month or so?

P.S. what's a Japanese Hepatica?
Old 24-04-2003, 05:08 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Sandman) wrote:

P.S. what's a Japanese Hepatica?

Japanese cloned hybrid hepaticas include some of the most amazing wee
flowers on earth. For those of us that adore little woodland shade flowers
(which compared to tulips & poppies & other such showy things may seem
invisible to some gardeners), these tiny built wildly ornate flowers are a
gold standard beyond the reach of most of us. A local grower told me he
paid I foget how much but something like a thousand dollars for one plant
nowhere in production. Normal hepatica has white or pale pink or pale blue
flowers in winter & spring, but these Japanese strains have doubles that
look like miniature carnations, singles with bright purple & white, or
carmine & white stripes, or with a small flower inside a big flower
sometimes resembling teency gardenias, elsetimes with the
smaller-flower-center a completely different bright color than the outer
ring of larger petals (like yellow inside blue), or singles with pointy
petals making them look like miniature clematis flowers, & other strange
varieties including one that is pink with purple pokadots called Koshiro.
If you can find any of these for less than $75 each, that'll be at the
"affordable" end. I'd really like to add some of these to my shade
gardens, but for sake of finances I've settled for ordinary hepaticas
which are already among the more marvelous flowers any shade garden can
have.

Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 PM

two different messages from last year.
http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com/?source=google
get it sized to how much area you want cleared of mosquitoes
Ingrid

There have been threads on this board about the Mosquito Magnet for
$795 and $1,295.

Coleman is now producing a copycat version for $199 list. It also
uses a propane tank to create a CO2 plume and octenal. The difference
is that it uses sticky shields to catch mosquitos and the propane
lasts 45 days verses 20 for the Mosquito Magnet.

I bought it two weeks ago. It is clearly attracting mosquitos. I
typically see little clouds of them hovering over the device. What it
doesn't seem to do well is kill them. There are only a few stuck to
the shields. On the other hand, since I started using it we haven't
been bitten at all.

Does anyone have any comments on the Deleto or how it compares to the
Mosquito Magnet. I know that I wasn't willing to spend $795 for the
Magnet, but the Deleto is far more affordable at $199.
----------
Like many people I was beginning to become upset that my $800
investment was not performing up to snuff. I decided to see if there
were any stronger attractants. I found this page

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archiv...0/mosq0200.htm

"Kline tested responses of female Aedes aegypti to the socks, human
hands, and Limburger cheese. He used females because only they will
take blood. They need it for reproduction. In field studies, Kline
says the socks alone attracted very few mosquitoes. However, a
significant increase occurred to CO2-baited traps when combined with a
worn sock for most mosquitoes, including species of Aedes, Anopheles,
Coquillettidia, Culex, Culiseta, and Psorophora—major
disease-transmitting mosquitoes. Mosquito responses were favorable in
the olfactometer, but the human hand still attracted the most. "If we
can isolate the chemical scent in the socks, then we can use that as
an additional attractant," says Kline. "

Okay the next part sounds strange!

So….it looks like they like worn socks, especially if CO2 is present.
I took a sock that I had worn during the day and folded the top over
on itself so that too much would not hang down (too far from suction
cone). I then slipped it over the nozzle where the CO2 comes out. Much
to my surprise the trap started working much better I started catching
10 to 20 a night where I had only been catching 2 or 3. Give it a try.
I am curious if this works for others. Good luck!

Cpat

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 24-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Krishur

See them he
http://www.thimblefarms.com/11apren.html

I'm also growing the native triloba--gorgeous little flower. The color is so
bright it really jumps up at you. I got my first ones last spring. Only one
came back this year so I added a couple more. If I manage not to kill them
and if they come back next year DH says he'll buy me a Jap Hep for a for the
garden--my first specimen.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 24-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Krishur

"Sandman" wrote in message
om...
"Krishur" wrote in message

[...]

Only the most beautiful little flowers in the world. See my reply to Paghat.

The thing that stinks is what if you buy the Liberty and it doesn't work?
Any complaints I've ever read were about the fan not being strong enough on
that model to suck them in. So even if you were able to attract all the
mosquitoes to it, it won't help if they are not sucked in--but it may help
by diverting the majority of them from away you. Additionally, You may be on
3/4 of an acre but mosquitoes don't respect property lines and if there's
standing water on your neighbor's property they will come and get you. I
forget how long a tank lasts (DH takes care of it), but I think it's
three-four weeks.

The way I would look at it is I can spend the money on several things that
don't work or work marginally or I can get the product I know will give me
relief.

Good luck with your decision.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 25-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Krishur said:

See them he
http://www.thimblefarms.com/11apren.html

WOW!

I'm also growing the native triloba--gorgeous little flower. The color is so
bright it really jumps up at you. I got my first ones last spring. Only one
came back this year so I added a couple more.

I have one clump of native hepatica, blooming ecstatically right now. The
foliage is neat and tidy and attractive when it's out of bloom.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
LeeAnne

wow, you're lucky you didn't have cats attacking you or humping your leg ,
lol :-)

Old 28-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Sandman

"Krishur" wrote in message ...
"Sandman" wrote in message
om...
"Krishur" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks! I went ahead like you advised and ordered the PRO model of
the Mosquito Magnet. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow!

I'll let you know how it works...
B.