GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can aloe vera plants be grown outdoors in England Kent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/174280-can-aloe-vera-plants-grown-outdoors-england-kent.html)

paterson00 13-05-2008 03:16 PM

Can aloe vera plants be grown outdoors in England Kent

I would like to add some spikey plants to my perrenial flower bed and remembered the healing qualities of aloe vera. Can they be grown in England outdors and are there a variety of options to me? I would like a flowering plant.

Derryl Killan 13-05-2008 04:06 PM

paterson00 wrote:
I would like to add some spikey plants to my perrenial flower bed and
remembered the healing qualities of aloe vera. Can they be grown in
England outdors and are there a variety of options to me? I would like
a flowering plant.

Aloe vera is not a spikey plant and is not a flowering plant. It is not
going to die back and go dormant in the fall. It is not a "Perennial"
It can not tolerate freezing temperatures.

Derryl Killan
Horticulturist.

Billy[_4_] 13-05-2008 04:47 PM

Can aloe vera plants be grown outdoors in England Kent

In article G7iWj.135638$rd2.85471@pd7urf3no,
Derryl Killan wrote:

paterson00 wrote:
I would like to add some spikey plants to my perrenial flower bed and
remembered the healing qualities of aloe vera. Can they be grown in
England outdors and are there a variety of options to me? I would like
a flowering plant.

Aloe vera is not a spikey plant and is not a flowering plant. It is not
going to die back and go dormant in the fall. It is not a "Perennial"
It can not tolerate freezing temperatures.

Derryl Killan
Horticulturist.

Other than that, what's the downside?;o)
--

Billy

beccabunga 13-05-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paterson00 (Post 791343)
I would like to add some spikey plants to my perrenial flower bed and remembered the healing qualities of aloe vera. Can they be grown in England outdors and are there a variety of options to me? I would like a flowering plant.

Sadly, the big fleshy aloes are frost tender, so if you do use them, you will have to have them in large pots and move them indoors in winter. They are also unlikely to flower till very large.

Have you thought of using New Zealand flax [Phormium}? It comes in many colours and sizes, and flowers when mature. It also doesn't have sharp thorns, which the aloe does have.