GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant root damage - what type of pest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/174330-plant-root-damage-what-type-pest.html)

[email protected] 14-05-2008 12:21 PM

Plant root damage - what type of pest

Once the snow cleared this year I found I have lost a lot of plants.
Many of my japanese irises are gone. My daylillies have had half of
their roots eaten away (lower half from below). I found piles of roots
from my violas (think that is what they are called) stashed under my
bushes. Even some new mums have been eaten.

I'm finding holes all over my garden.

I was thinking they were damaged by moles but they are insect eaters
so thinking it wouldn't be them.

Any ideas?

Bill[_13_] 14-05-2008 12:54 PM

Plant root damage - what type of pest

In article
,
wrote:

Once the snow cleared this year I found I have lost a lot of plants.
Many of my japanese irises are gone. My daylillies have had half of
their roots eaten away (lower half from below). I found piles of roots
from my violas (think that is what they are called) stashed under my
bushes. Even some new mums have been eaten.

I'm finding holes all over my garden.

I was thinking they were damaged by moles but they are insect eaters
so thinking it wouldn't be them.

Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vole

Losing your Japanese Irises :(((
I've had Kousa dogwood root systems turned into spear points. Stuck
them in the ground and two came back.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA