Old 25-05-2008, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree?

Hi everyone, I'm SO NEW to gardening. I was an earth day volunteer of
"Tree People" a few weeks ago and after that event I decided to plant
my first tree. So this morning I went to homedepot and bought a Semi-
Dwarf Eureka Lemon baby-tree, that was already in a pot, about 3-4 ft
tall. My question is: Is this spot shown in the picture below wide
enough to plant this lemon tree? See pictu

http://www.geocities.com/naomi_toh/P..._Tree_Spot.jpg

This spot is between two plants (red circle), about 5 - 6 feet long.
If I plant the lemon tree there, will those 2 plants prevent it from
growing? Or the other way? I don't know the name of these 2
plants...

Please help! Thanks!
Old 25-05-2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm SO NEW to gardening. I was an earth day volunteer of
"Tree People" a few weeks ago and after that event I decided to plant
my first tree. So this morning I went to homedepot and bought a Semi-
Dwarf Eureka Lemon baby-tree, that was already in a pot, about 3-4 ft
tall. My question is: Is this spot shown in the picture below wide
enough to plant this lemon tree? See pictu

http://www.geocities.com/naomi_toh/P..._Tree_Spot.jpg

This spot is between two plants (red circle), about 5 - 6 feet long.
If I plant the lemon tree there, will those 2 plants prevent it from
growing? Or the other way? I don't know the name of these 2
plants...

Please help! Thanks!

I'd just recommend studying the various varieties available to meet
your needs. Home Depot may be OK but a visit to a local large garden
may give you some idea of what is available and what a mature tree can
be. Still it is OK to make many mistakes.

I'd place a small water display in that spot with a large mirror behind
it to infer infinity. I also thing that a mural would be kind of neat.
That wall looks like a canvas!!

Make your own or look for stuff like this

http://www.muralsyourway.com/myw4-design.cfm?pid=MMBACM1004

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 25-05-2008, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
Hi everyone, I'm SO NEW to gardening. I was an earth day volunteer of
"Tree People" a few weeks ago and after that event I decided to plant
my first tree. So this morning I went to homedepot and bought a Semi-
Dwarf Eureka Lemon baby-tree, that was already in a pot, about 3-4 ft
tall. My question is: Is this spot shown in the picture below wide
enough to plant this lemon tree? See pictu

http://www.geocities.com/naomi_toh/P..._Tree_Spot.jpg

This spot is between two plants (red circle), about 5 - 6 feet long.
If I plant the lemon tree there, will those 2 plants prevent it from
growing? Or the other way? I don't know the name of these 2
plants...

Please help! Thanks!

It helps if you say where you are when asking such questions. I am assuming
that the spot gets sun most of the day and that you are in a warm temperate
area. If that's not so speak up.

The spot looks a reasonable size for a dwarf. The shrub on the right looks
like a hibiscus, which may grow quite large but it is quite tough and will
take some pruning, I am not sure about the one on the left. Keep the shrubs
down, or move one of them if you think they will encroach. Lemons don't like
root competition as they feed near the surface.

If your soil is very heavy (ie has much clay) build up the spot and plant into
a mound rather than plant it into a hole that may become a pool and drown the
lemon in wet weather. In either case enrich with organic matter before
planting. Also mulch afterwards to keep out weeds and conserve moisture.

David