GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Request: ID papaya variety (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/174897-request-id-papaya-variety.html)

ker_01 22-05-2008 03:18 AM

Request: ID papaya variety

On a recent trip, I saw a papaya variety that made large fruits, but the
plant itself is what I'd call 'dwarf'- the full size fruit were about 5-6
feet off the ground, and the whole plant was maybe 8 feet tall. The papaya
I'm used to grow 30+ feet tall, making it harder to harvest the fruit.

Does anyone know what variety fits my description? I hope to find some
seeds to give it a try...

Thanks!
Keith

Eggs Zachtly 22-05-2008 10:14 AM

Request: ID papaya variety

ker_01 said:

On a recent trip, I saw a papaya variety that made large fruits, but the
plant itself is what I'd call 'dwarf'- the full size fruit were about 5-6
feet off the ground, and the whole plant was maybe 8 feet tall. The papaya
I'm used to grow 30+ feet tall, making it harder to harvest the fruit.

Does anyone know what variety fits my description? I hope to find some
seeds to give it a try...

There are quite a few dwarf papaya. It could be Carica papaya (IIRC you'll
need a pollinator). Or, it could be C. heilbornii (hardier, but you'll need
a cutting rather than a seed).
--

Eggs

- Reset Universe? (Y)es (N)o