Old 22-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered User

Smile Question! How do I kill some unwanted grass?

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?
Old 22-05-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question! How do I kill some unwanted grass?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:06 +0100, sirutherford
wrote:

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the
grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and
tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?

How large of an area? It takes time but if you can cover the area to
block light it will die. Plants can not live long without light.
Old 22-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirutherford View Post
Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?
it will sound weird but salt works on weeds so class the unwanted grass as a weed

use table salt and just poor it over the garden doesnt have to be expensive
Old 22-05-2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the
grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and
tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?

Will the grass be under the decking? If so, it will die. You do not
have to do anything. Digging it up will not kill it.

John
Old 22-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Registered User

You strim it back as close to the ground as possible then apply a solution of salt and white vinegar. Cover the area in black plastic or that weed suppressor material.

If you don't mind the chemical route then glycophosphate or I have heard it suggested bleach will work too.
__________________
Currently sharing garden with - Moles, voles, rabbits, pheasants, sheep, cat, dogs, hare, buzzards, crows, slugs, frogs . . . . .

Old 23-05-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wind'n'stone wrote:

You strim it back as close to the ground as possible then apply a
solution of salt and white vinegar. Cover the area in black plastic or
that weed suppressor material.

If you don't mind the chemical route then glycophosphate or I have
heard it suggested bleach will work too.

I find the use of salt or glycophosphate totally reprehensible.
Any organic gardener would. We go to a lot of trouble to build soil and
the thought that someone would poison the soil because they couldn't
wait for the shade from the new deck to kill the grass defies the
imagination. Why not get a sheet of black plastic to cover the area. It
can't be more expensive that these numbskull ideas.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 23-05-2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

On 2008-05-22 12:38:06 -0400, sirutherford
said:

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the
grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and
tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?

Roundup.

Hmmm ...

I am a sinner here this newsgroup, someday I hope to become a saint
through some sort of penitence. When I built my deck, I used "Ortho's
Total Kill", my sin. Then I purchased some "Road Tarp" which allows
water to drain and block weed growth, it is thicker than plain landscape
tarp. Landscape tarp may work as well. Plastic will not allow water to
drain trough. Then last but sure, just enough gravel/rocks to cover the
tarp, gravel helps keep the tarp from blowing or moving under the deck.
I find most little critters just do not like living on gravel.

I can just smell those steaks on that new grill on that new deck this
weekend hmmmm ....

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 23-05-2008, 10:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pretend you want the grass to grow there!'
That will kill it faster than anything.

Old 23-05-2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Try a 10% vinegar solution. It works for weeds and should probably
work for the grass was well.

Regards,
June
Old 23-05-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"sirutherford" wrote in message

Im putting decking in my garden and wish to kill off a section of the
grass rather than digging it all up! Does any1 have any tried and
tested ways to Kill grass so it wont grow back?

--
sirutherford

I'll tell you want did not work on Bermuda (Sahara) grass in the gravel
driveway. 2 treatments of Roundup. Concentrated vinegar from the local
hardware store.

Same grass always finds light, and grows in that direction. Will penetrate
vertically 16" in a pot with drain holes without ever seeing sunlight. Will
easily find light in spacing in decking planks. Will drape the
circumference of such a deck.
--
Dave

Old 24-05-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dioclese said:

[...]

I'll tell you want did not work on Bermuda (Sahara) grass in the gravel
driveway. 2 treatments of Roundup.

When did you apply it? Timing is everything when using glyphosate on
Bermuda. You need to apply it at the end of the season, when it's sending
food back to the rhizomes. At any other time, yup it's futile.

[rest snipped]
--

Eggs

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?