GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting burr Oak acorn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/175036-planting-burr-oak-acorn.html)

Jacqueline Davidson 25-05-2008 11:01 PM

Planting burr Oak acorn

Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Dioclese 26-05-2008 01:10 AM

Planting burr Oak acorn

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
. ..
Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Don't know. I tried some live oak acorns in local soil, no luck. Make me
wonder what the chances of any acorn naturally making a sapling, and making
it far enough away from the tree that made the acorn.
--
Dave

Memorial day:
In honor for those who served and
died for your freedom of speech, exercise
that right where you fear repercussion
the most for your voiced opinion.

D. Staples 26-05-2008 03:15 AM

Planting burr Oak acorn

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
. ..
Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Have they over wintered out side? I would recommend you float them in
water, those that sink are good, the floaters are empty hulls. Your
location could determine how to handle them, but, if they over wintered
outside, and they sink, plant them a couple of inches deep (like the
squirrels) and see what comes up. Water them when it rains, if they in a
protected area.

Kevin Cherkauer 26-05-2008 03:58 AM

Planting burr Oak acorn

Acorns planted by squirrels regularly come up in my vegetable garden. (As do
corn plants...)

Kevin Cherkauer
Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/?/blog/

m...

Billy[_4_] 26-05-2008 08:52 AM

Planting burr Oak acorn

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in message
. ..
Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Don't know. I tried some live oak acorns in local soil, no luck. Make me
wonder what the chances of any acorn naturally making a sapling, and making
it far enough away from the tree that made the acorn.

Lord, my kard is littered with live oak seedlings. They are everywhere.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

dicko[_1_] 26-05-2008 01:20 PM

Planting burr Oak acorn

On Sun, 25 May 2008 18:01:06 -0400, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Burr Oaks sprout the season they fall to the ground. That usually
means in the fall. No special handling. Just poke them in the ground.
Red Oaks must over winter before sprouting, I put them in a plastic
bag with a damp paper towel in the refridgerator and some time around
March they sprout, at which time I move them to a tall pot and also
put that in the refridgerator.

However, I think that if you've allowed the Burr Oak acorns to dry
out, they wont germinate. You've got nothing to loss by trying though.

-dickm

Jacqueline Davidson 26-05-2008 08:57 PM

Planting burr Oak acorn

wrote:

Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Burr Oaks sprout the season they fall to the ground. That usually
means in the fall. No special handling. Just poke them in the ground.
Red Oaks must over winter before sprouting, I put them in a plastic
bag with a damp paper towel in the refridgerator and some time around
March they sprout, at which time I move them to a tall pot and also
put that in the refridgerator.

However, I think that if you've allowed the Burr Oak acorns to dry
out, they wont germinate. You've got nothing to loss by trying though.

-dickm

Thanks for the good help!
Jackie

Dioclese 27-05-2008 11:28 AM

Planting burr Oak acorn

The only squirrels I've seen within a few miles are in low-lying areas near
seasonal creeks with pecan trees. Not here though.

--
Dave