Old 24-04-2003, 08:32 PM
observer

Default The best pocket gopher trap ?

Any thoughts,
Thanks

Old 24-04-2003, 09:20 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , "observer" wrote:
Any thoughts,
Thanks

Play 'whack a mole' with a golf club? :-)

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Old 25-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Paul Below

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:22:45 GMT, "observer"
wrote:

Any thoughts,
Thanks

A hose, a rag, a metal rod to poke a hole into a runway, and an
internal combustion engine. It'll work in a few minutes.

OTOH, if you want to trap and release, I'm not sure if there is a
humane trap for pocket gophers, but someone else will chime in.

Old 25-04-2003, 05:32 PM
LeeAnne

..22 cal

"observer" wrote in message
t...
Any thoughts,
Thanks

Old 25-04-2003, 06:44 PM
paghat

Wear your pockets inside-out & gophers can't get inside them.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 25-04-2003, 10:08 PM
jc

Black hole traps work pretty well if placed in the tunnel. Back in the
Midwest, I have also seen gophers captured live by pouring a 1 gallon
milk jug of water down the hole, then leaving the jug upside down at the
hole. When the gopher comes out to see what's happening, it gets
trapped inside the milk jug. But it wouldn't work for our desert pocket
gophers - they are too big and fat to ft inside the jug's spout. -Olin

"observer" wrote in message
t...
Any thoughts,

Old 26-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Paul Below

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:56:14 GMT, "jc" wrote:

Back in the
Midwest, I have also seen gophers captured live by pouring a 1 gallon
milk jug of water down the hole, then leaving the jug upside down at the
hole.

I don't think that will work with pocket gophers, though, as they will
plug the runway behind themselves and keep the water out.

Someone else suggested a .22, but the problem with that is that pocket
gophers almost never come onto the surface. Think moles... or a mole
on steroids.

Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
zxcvbob

I don't even what to know what "pocket gopher" is a euphemism for.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 27-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Lacreta

Hi all,
i Know I will get a lot of flack for posting this, but....

I have some battery operated gopher eradicators from Costco.
Theyare working well for a relativley small area so far..
about 10' x10' in front of house.
However I did notice a weed eating gopher about 3 weeks ago in
same area....I moved the conical shaped device near the hole and
have seen no evidence of gopher since. I've got ornamental flowers
all over and some other delictable itmes to the buggers.

Most people use the Macabee traps....
and there you have my 2 cents,
Tara
Old 01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Bill Ranseen

I like the old wooden box traps. Don't know if they're still selling
them. I bought a black hole and tried it, never worked for me. Macabees
are ok, but sometimes they don't fit the hole, or keep springing when
you're trying to place them in a burrow.

[IMG] code is On

Moles - to trap or not to trap clarissa United Kingdom 20 01-10-2007 09:26 AM
Gopher solotions Al Reid Edible Gardening 6 22-07-2004 11:02 PM
Gopher Questions Magnusfarce Lawns 2 27-06-2004 08:04 AM
Gopher-proofing? Jefffooz Gardening 1 29-03-2004 03:32 AM