Old 24-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Starlord

Default Messy laws

I've been reading this line, and have replyed some, but it's been about my own
garden, but I want to tell you this, not all lawn services are bad, I know for
sure, how? because for 12 years I ran my own one man service in Los Angeles and
I covered from the Glendale foothills all the way down to Long Beach.

Most times, when someone hired me, their lawns where a total write off, dead and
deader comes to mind. And unlike most other services, I would follow the
following routine:

1. mow what there was as most of them had been left to grow and die.

2. water ground all day with soaker hose to get it ready.

3. uses 3 tag fork to punch hole in ground while watering, walking over whole
area.

4. hand broadcast steer manure over lawn and just wet it enough to keep from
blowing away.

5. depending on type of lawn and time of year, I might reseed with short rye
grass or just promote grass there.

6. After about 3 months of that care, I would broadcast by hand one bag of slow
feed ferterizer.

7. using a small spray bottle I'd attack weeds with a spot spray of roundup.

Most of these yards where such that kids would be runing acorss them or in areas
of poor soil. Some of them the people had used lawn feeds but never steer
manure.

I take great enjoyment in knowing that the lawns I cared for where green year
round and that any flowers by them also grew and bloomed more than they had ever
done before and that any Roses on them put on shows of blooms like they had just
been planted.

During the last days of my operation I lived in Ramona in San Diego area and the
homes I did where ones for sale and the reator had me doing the lawns to green
them up and belive me, that was a major operation as there was zero top soil and
just screaped sub-dirt and weeds didn't even care to grow. But for the price
they paid me, I got grass to grow until the house sold.

And now that I've unofficaly have gotten going again with the care of two yards
here in the park, my old past skills will be used again.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

---

Old 25-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Dane Bramage

Ok, now you have me curious. What is the difference between steer
manure and just plain old bs? (sorry, couldn't resist
I am serious, tho. I used (once) manure from a local farm and
completely killed my patch of grass. It's starting to come back (2
years later) and looks like it needs to be fed, but I don't want to
repeat the error. Is there something specific I should ask for rather
than just grabbing my shovel and heading out by their barn?

Old 25-04-2003, 04:20 AM
B & J

"Dane Bramage" WhereAmI@anyway? wrote in message
news
Ok, now you have me curious. What is the difference between steer
manure and just plain old bs? (sorry, couldn't resist
I am serious, tho. I used (once) manure from a local farm and
completely killed my patch of grass. It's starting to come back (2
years later) and looks like it needs to be fed, but I don't want to
repeat the error. Is there something specific I should ask for rather
than just grabbing my shovel and heading out by their barn?

You probably threw your bs from the local farm on your lawn when it was too
fresh. It burned it. If you decide to fertilize again with bs make sure it's
well aged (two to three years old and a decayed dark brown color).

John

Old 25-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Starlord

The trick is that it has to be COMPOSTED steer manure, (same as BS). If it's
fresh and you lay it down thick, it can kill grass or just about anything. When
I lived in Ramona, I had a truck load dumped in my yard and even it had been
sitting for a year, then slowly I built a pile of it mixed with grass cuttings.
The 2nd year down there I started using it. BTW, I always HAND broadcast the
stuff, fill up buckets and do it throw it around, this way it gets spread out
and not heaped in one area to much. Then I water. I normal did this 2 or 3 times
over a one month. The main thing about steer is that it helps feed the mircos
that are in the soil.

Now those new homes with nothing but bear dirt, them I'd just dump a load on the
front, spread it around and water, the next week I'd dump top soil on it and
water, 3rd week I'd rototill them together. 4th week I'd lay down grass seeds!

3 months later I'd mow for the first time.

But the steer has to be OLD, composted or at lest a year out in the weather.

Old 25-04-2003, 08:08 AM
jc

"Dane Bramage" WhereAmI@anyway? wrote in message
news
Ok, now you have me curious. What is the difference between steer
manure and just plain old bs? (sorry, couldn't resist
I am serious, tho. I used (once) manure from a local farm and
completely killed my patch of grass. It's starting to come back (2
years later) and looks like it needs to be fed, but I don't want to
repeat the error. Is there something specific I should ask for rather
than just grabbing my shovel and heading out by their barn?

As others have posted, the manure should be composted, or at least aged.
There is also often a high salt content in manure from barns and feed
lots so the lawn should be watered deeply after applying the manure.

As to the differences, some charts showing the nutrient content of
organic fertilizers will list cow manure and steer manure separately
with different NPK ratios. In a large, modern dairy, cows are fed a
diet to maximize milk production. Feed lot steers are fed a different
diet, usually including corn, to speed up growth and weight gain. BS
would be different from both of the others because bulls are kept as
sperm donors and the diet would emphasize sperm production. So the NPK
from might be different for all three but not likely to be enough to see
any difference on a lawn if it is composted before use and watered in
after application.

Olin

Old 26-04-2003, 02:20 PM
J Kolenovsky

In our clay, we use a fence post auger machine with a 4 inch drill bit
and drill down 3 feet, pack column with organic fertilizer and compost.
Holes can be any distance from each other.
-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal webpag=
es

[IMG] code is On

Gardeners critical over slug protection laws HOORAH Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 16-07-2004 04:14 AM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 24 22-01-2004 10:53 PM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 0 19-01-2004 11:01 PM
OT. new antispam laws in the US Bob Hobden United Kingdom 91 03-12-2003 01:32 PM
Monsanto Uses Canadian Taxpayer Money to Violate Foreign Laws Case highlights need for strong Biosaf Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 02-09-2003 06:02 AM