Old 27-05-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Banana Trees

I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new leaves
like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack, and turn
brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We have had
lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s. I'm thinking
this might be the problem. In just the past few days, the weather seems to
have stabalized and actually hit the warmer Spring temps. Now we're in to
upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Captain Ed

Old 27-05-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 26, 8:16�pm, "Ed" wrote:
I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new leaves
like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack, and turn
brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We have had
lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s. I'm thinking
this might be the problem. In just the past few days, the weather seems to
have stabalized and actually hit the warmer Spring temps. Now we're in to
upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Bananas don't grow on trees.

Old 27-05-2008, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message news:ca50d0ef-39fc-4478-86a9-

Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Bananas are tropical/subtropical plants. The coolest place they are grown
commercially (just as a measure of suitability) here is on frost-free regions
near the coast in zone 10 and that is not optimal. Although growing in cooler
zones is possible if you baby them and you don't expect to get good fruit. By
that I mean put them in full sun in the warmest spot you have, protect from
frost and maybe grow only in the warmer months. I infer that you have had
them indoors, perhaps you put them out too soon or the indoor spot just got
too cold. Growing them outdoors in zone 6a will be a challenge. Good luck.

David

Old 27-05-2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On May 26, 8:16�pm, "Ed" wrote:
I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new
leaves like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack,
and turn brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term
leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We
have
had lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s.
I'm thinking this might be the problem. In just the past few days,
the weather seems to have stabalized and actually hit the warmer
Spring temps. Now we're in to upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Bananas don't grow on trees.

So what do they grow on?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 27-05-2008, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

--

They grow on a stalk, that is the size of a small tree, that withers
and collapses when the plant goes dormant after harvest. My brother gets

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Old 27-05-2008, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
On May 26, 8:16?pm, "Ed" wrote:
I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new
leaves like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack,
and turn brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term
leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We
have
had lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s.
I'm thinking this might be the problem. In just the past few days,
the weather seems to have stabalized and actually hit the warmer
Spring temps. Now we're in to upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Bananas don't grow on trees.

So what do they grow on?

They are a herbaceous plant with many fibrous roots like grass, not like a
tree with a taproot and woody trunk The main structure that looks like a
trunk is more like a rolled up bunch of leaves and it's called a pseudostem.
But when you are having problems growing them in zone 6a that fact is just
pseudo-relevant.

David

Old 28-05-2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Huh? I don't know any "symplastless". What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? Are
you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an
anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be
both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.
Old 28-05-2008, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Huh? I don't know any "symplastless". What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? Are
you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an
anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be
both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.

Oh goody, we're doing names again. Now that we have that out of
the way, what is your problem with the name Christian?
Inquiring minds and all that sort of thing, don't you just know;o))
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 28-05-2008, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

I do keep them in a greenhouse during the cold months. Inside temps never
got below 52 degrees. I just recently moved them outside. The leaves were
splitting and turning black even in the greenhouse.

Ed

Old 28-05-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Huh? I don't know any "symplastless". What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? Are
you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an
anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be
both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.

As you don't know him Symplastless could be a pillar of usenet society and a
font of growing and gardening wisdom.

There is nothing at all difficult to understand about bananas not growing on
trees. Out of curiosity why did you bring it up?

David

Old 29-05-2008, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 27, 10:10�pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Huh? �I don't know any "symplastless". �What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? �Are
you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an
anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be
both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.

Oh goody, we're doing names again.

Your mommy named you willy but you hate your mommy so you call
yourself baby name billy... infantile billy babu! G

Old 29-05-2008, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On May 27, 10:10?pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Bananas don't grow on trees.

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Huh? ?I don't know any "symplastless". ?What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? ?Are
you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an
anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be
both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.

Oh goody, we're doing names again.

Your mommy named you willy but you hate your mommy so you call
yourself baby name billy... infantile billy babu! G

Somebody want to call the rubber truck, Shelly is loose again;o)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

[IMG] code is On

Too much rain, banana trees drowning Mysterious Traveler Gardening 3 27-07-2009 03:09 AM
Banana trees are great house plants Mysterious Traveler Gardening 2 07-07-2009 06:44 PM
Banana Trees bud North Carolina 3 22-07-2006 10:24 PM
Banana plant CichlidGeek Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Unhappy Banana Plant Tim \(BBC\) United Kingdom 3 27-12-2002 04:03 PM