Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What eats radish roots and sunflower leaves?

I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6"
tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil,
and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any
insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs,
since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will
slugs eat sunflower leaves?

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to
control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic...shrug. Anyone
here have some practical experience - something that works - that they would
care to share?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal said:

I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are
about 6" tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above
the soil,

Clean channels and shallow pits on the surface? That could be slugs.
Small holes heading right into the middle of the root would be root maggots.

and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any
insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs,
since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will
slugs eat sunflower leaves?

It might be slugs. It could also be earwigs.

A night-time scouting expedition is in order.

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about
how to control slugs. copper...

....copper barriers can work as long as you are certain the slugs are all on the
other side of it...

chemicals

The iron phosphate based slug baits ("Sluggo" is a brand name) work and
are safe around animales. I can personally vouch for this one.

...egg shells...garlic...shrug.

Pretty useless, IME.

Anyone
here have some practical experience - something that works - that they
would care to share?

Traps: empty in the morning and destroy the slugs by whatever method you
choose (I've heard chickens and ducks will snap them up)

Hand-picking at night (tedious but can be effective)

Here's the UC Davis IPM page on slugs and snails:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html

There was a slug and snail FAQ out there somewhere, which used to be
posted to this group at intervals, but the last link I have for it is now 404.

I was able to find these posts for the -2 November 1996- version via
Google Groups:

Part 1: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nj4np

Part 2: http://preview.tinyurl.com/55vms9

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootal[_3_] View Post
I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6"
tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil,
and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves.

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to
control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic...shrug.
Morning Zoo,

My first guess would be slugs but I've also had problems with mice in my poly-tunnel, although they can't reach your sunflower leaves... Check for nibble marks

Also check for little black eggs under and at the base of the leaves, could be caterpillars.

Slug pellets? You can buy them in every gardening shop in the country. If you've got kids and dogs around, try and get the non-toxic ones though as they look like little blue sprinkles . They're pricey enough but they do the job.

G.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sunflower beetles are a major pest on my sunflowers. They are striped
beetles that resemble potato bugs, and they eat the leaves. (Google them
for more info.)

Andrew

Old 30-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered User

I have just caught the dog eating the sunflower leaves so it may not be little pests that are chewing them!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootal[_3_] View Post
I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6"
tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil,
and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any
insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs,
since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will
slugs eat sunflower leaves?

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to
control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic...shrug. Anyone
here have some practical experience - something that works - that they would
care to share?
Have you tried Guineas? They eat all kinds of insects, but not the produce. I keep reading about this and plan to have guineas in my garden. Supposedly the hens are noisier than the cocks, but they all eat a variety of pests. They are also entertaining to watch!
Old 30-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootal[_3_] View Post
I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6"
tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil,
and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any
insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs,
since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will
slugs eat sunflower leaves?

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to
control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic...shrug. Anyone
here have some practical experience - something that works - that they would
care to share?
Yikes! Flea beetles make numerous small holes in radish leaves. Cabbage root maggots and cutworms sometimes rasp holes or channels into radish skins. All of these pests are easily prevented by covering the plants with lightweight floating rowcovers. When sown early and exposed to cold weather, some radishes will bolt (rush to produce flowers) before they develop plump roots. Bolting is rare in radishes grown in late summer and fall. My resource for this information is Radish Garden - Healthy Snacks hope it helps!