Old 25-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Pam

Default lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational

If it is a datura, it is not a vine. It is a shrubby annual herb. And it is
poisonous. Jimson weed, a datura species, was made famous by Carlos Castenada for
its halucinogenic properties, but it is still rather deadly if you don't know what
you're doing. So don't smoke (or eat) your angel's trumpet :-))

John Robertson wrote:

I believe it is an angel trumpat vine (Datura).

Dave Fouchey wrote:
On 25 Apr 2003 01:29:14 GMT, (Marley1372) wrote:

First you need to find out what a "lavender trumpet vine" is. Is it Campsis
radicans(trumpet vine), which I dont belive has any lavender culitvars? Could
be a morning glory, which is often used by dumbass highschool kids to get
high(they eat the seeds, which often kill people).

Toad

Toad check out this Clytostoma callistegioides, AKA Lavender Trumpet
Vine.

Dave

Old 26-04-2003, 02:56 PM
dementia13

In John Robertson wrote:
I got a lavender trumpet vine from ebay, It came with this warning "A
garden beauty often abused for illegal recreational activities." What
in the world are they talking about?

If it's Datura, and if you were considering trying it, don't.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1823

Old 27-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Pam

Ann wrote:

animaux expounded:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:31:21 GMT, dementia13 wrote:

In John Robertson wrote:
I got a lavender trumpet vine from ebay, It came with this warning "A
garden beauty often abused for illegal recreational activities." What
in the world are they talking about?

If it's Datura, and if you were considering trying it, don't.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1823

You better not grow tomatoes, potatoes or eggplant either because they are all
in the same family and all have equally poisonous leaves.

Really. I get so tired of people warning that you shouldn't grow this
or that because of the poisonous qualities....it is enough to know
they are poisonous and to not eat them. They're still pretty. I
suppose I shouldn't allow the foxgloves to grow wild all over my yard,
rip out the self-sowing datura, never grow a tomato, etc.

Exactly, Ann! I can't tell you how many folks come into the nursery and demand
plants for their garden that are non-toxic because of small children, pets, etc. We
do try to accommodate them, but when I tell them that will eliminate about 80% of
what we carry (including some of the most common plants), they tend to loosen up
their requirements. There are some obvious exceptions, specially with young kids
that may be attracted to berries, etc. Few pets are stupid enough (or hungry
enough) to graze on poisonous plants and kids can be trained - otherwise the
accounts of death or major injury by plant ingestion would be astronomical :-))

Perhaps the admonition that accompanied this plant purchase was for those
free-spirited souls who intended to partake in the datura's hallucinogenic
properties - there is a very fine line between "tripping" and death with this
plant.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Zemedelec

there is a very fine line between "tripping" and death with this
plant.

And from all I've heard, it's a trip most people wouldn't want to take. Same
as with nutmeg, which can be lethal in large quantities--but not too many
people here grow nutmegs, I take it.
zemedelec