GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Upside Down Tomatoes in Paint Buckets is a Bust! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/175747-upside-down-tomatoes-paint-buckets-bust.html)

Mark21286 10-06-2008 02:46 PM

Upside Down Tomatoes in Paint Buckets is a Bust!

I followed all the directions of various people on the Internet and
tried growing tomatoes in 5 gal plastic buckets. In every case the
plants grew and when the flowers appeared they wilted and died. I
saved one by transplanting in a garden.

z 10-06-2008 08:45 PM

On Jun 10, 9:46*am, Mark21286 wrote:
I followed all the directions of various people on the Internet and
tried growing tomatoes in 5 gal plastic buckets. In every case the
plants grew and when the flowers appeared they wilted and died. I
saved one by transplanting in a garden.

weird. any idea why? dehydrated?

mor 10-06-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark21286 (Post 797514)
I followed all the directions of various people on the Internet and
tried growing tomatoes in 5 gal plastic buckets. In every case the
plants grew and when the flowers appeared they wilted and died. I
saved one by transplanting in a garden.

that is sad. what type of tomatoes are your growing and what is your gardening zone.
some it could be overwatering, the fertilizer you are using, good sun and also pruning.
all l know is that upside down tomato does produces the best fruits