Old 24-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Default Help needed - What is wrong with my tree?

Hi all,

I moved to my current house at the beginning of this year. There are a couple of trees in the garden, but as we have gone through spring one of them has failed to grow any leaves. It did have a small sprout at the end of one branch right at the beginning of spring but this soon died. More recently it has started to sprout growths on the trunk, but not on any of the existing branches. Here are links to some pics (you may need to scroll down a little):

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img26
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img28
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img33

I have two questions: what is likely to be wrong with it, and what do I need to do about it? I am completely inexperienced at gardening.

Thanks for your help.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/4v5h5u
http://tinyurl.com/3z68eb
http://tinyurl.com/3wb3gr

I have two questions: what is likely to be wrong with it, and what do I
need to do about it? I am completely inexperienced at gardening.

Appears to be epitomic branching, top is dead. What is your location, and
do you have an ID on species?

Old 24-06-2008, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
[...]

Make that epicormic branching, dang spell changer.

Old 25-06-2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Henley Birder wrote:
Hi all,

I moved to my current house at the beginning of this year. There
are
a couple of trees in the garden, but as we have gone through spring
one of them has failed to grow any leaves. It did have a small
sprout at the end of one branch right at the beginning of spring but
this soon died. More recently it has started to sprout growths on
the
trunk, but not on any of the existing branches.

Mine were caused by the severe drought in our area this past year.
What I am doing has worked in the past. I'm keeping all the "water
sprouts" snipped off that are more than a foot or so below where the
original limbs start. I will wait until the leaves start dropping from
the new growth this fall to take out all the old dead top. If it's dry
where you are, give it a good ground soaking every couple of weeks.
Had the same thing happen several years ago and those trees are still
alive. The difference is, mine are very old dogwoods, but should work
for you too.

Tom J

Old 25-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Hi Don, My location is Henley-on-Thames. I don't know the species, but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?). Thanks for the info.

Old 25-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
Henley Birder wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom,

Is there any particular technique to taking the dead top off? I mean over and above cutting horizontally through the trunk?
Old 25-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henley Birder View Post
Hi all,

I moved to my current house at the beginning of this year. There are a couple of trees in the garden, but as we have gone through spring one of them has failed to grow any leaves. It did have a small sprout at the end of one branch right at the beginning of spring but this soon died. More recently it has started to sprout growths on the trunk, but not on any of the existing branches. Here are links to some pics (you may need to scroll down a little):

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img26
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img28
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img33

I have two questions: what is likely to be wrong with it, and what do I need to do about it? I am completely inexperienced at gardening.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like a prunus of some kind, probably an almond (certainly there seem to be a couple on the branches in photo #1). If so, they are best pruned in summer. If one of them has virtually no leaves, it possibly nearly drowned last summer, and to be honest you will be wiser to remove it altogether and replace it.
Old 25-06-2008, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Henley Birder wrote:

Hi Don, My location is Henley-on-Thames. I don't know the species,
but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?).
Thanks
for the info.

If it's either of those, it's time to plant a new tree. Both of those
have relatively short lives.

Tom J

Old 25-06-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tom J" wrote in message
m...
Henley Birder wrote:

Hi Don, My location is Henley-on-Thames. I don't know the species,
but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?). Thanks
for the info.

If it's either of those, it's time to plant a new tree. Both of those have
relatively short lives.

Tom J

I agree, and would not suggest I could prescribe across the sea, on a
species that may be unfamiliar. Epicormic branching is a result of other
problems.

Old 25-06-2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 25, 12:26�pm, "Tom J" wrote:
Henley Birder wrote:

Hi Don, �My location is Henley-on-Thames. �I don't know the species,
but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?).
Thanks
for the info.

If it's either of those, it's time to plant a new tree. Both of those
have relatively short lives.

Peach trees will produce about 20 years and are relatively short
lived, but cherry trees can live and produce well over 100 years. But
regardless, from that picture that tree's bark doesn't look like any
cherry or peach I've ever seen... I seriously doubt it's any kind of
stone fruit.

Old 26-06-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Peach trees have short life for many reasons humans must account for. many
issues of peaches such as pruning and fertilizing is he

Many peach tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 27-06-2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Henley Birder
writes
Hi Don, My location is Henley-on-Thames. I don't know the
species,

but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?).
Thanks

for the info.

I'd guess at an almond (Prunus dulcis), rather than a peach (Prunus
persica) or cherry (Prunus avium, Prunus cerasus, Prunus padus, etc),
but that certainly seems to be in the right ballpark.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley