GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Getting rid of tree stumps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/176250-getting-rid-tree-stumps.html)

[email protected] 24-06-2008 05:45 PM

Getting rid of tree stumps

I have had four pine trees removed, but because of their location the
tree people cannot use the grinder to get rid of the stumps. I would
like to remove them without using harmful chemicals. I heard you could
put lime on them. I could chop them out,but my wife does not like the
idea ( possible heart attack). One time we put a wine barrel on top of
the stump with some flowers in it, and eventually the stump rotted,
and we could pull it out with our hands. Location does permit this
method.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

Tom J 24-06-2008 06:13 PM

Getting rid of tree stumps

wrote:
I have had four pine trees removed, but because of their location
the
tree people cannot use the grinder to get rid of the stumps. I would
like to remove them without using harmful chemicals. I heard you
could
put lime on them. I could chop them out,but my wife does not like
the
idea ( possible heart attack). One time we put a wine barrel on top
of
the stump with some flowers in it, and eventually the stump rotted,
and we could pull it out with our hands. Location does permit this
method.
Any suggestions.

Drill holes or use chain saw to saw slots in them and fill them with
most any fertilizer, like 8-8-8 or10-10-10, add water, then shovel a
little dirt on top.
Works better than lime, but will take 4 or 5 years.

Tom J

Dioclese 25-06-2008 03:00 PM

Getting rid of tree stumps

wrote in message
I have had four pine trees removed, but because of their location the
tree people cannot use the grinder to get rid of the stumps. I would
like to remove them without using harmful chemicals. I heard you could
put lime on them. I could chop them out,but my wife does not like the
idea ( possible heart attack). One time we put a wine barrel on top of
the stump with some flowers in it, and eventually the stump rotted,
and we could pull it out with our hands. Location does permit this
method.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

A house I owned in coastal MS, the builder removed a pine tree in the
backyard due to proximity to the house. The stump and all. I did have
problem with old roots surfacing for a few years.

Like TomJ's suggestion. Try a longer auger bit on a heavy duty drill.
Wouldn't hurt ot cut some of the major traveler roots out either.
--
Dave

Sheldon[_1_] 25-06-2008 04:57 PM

Getting rid of tree stumps

"tomba wrote:
I have had four pine trees removed, but because of their location the
tree people cannot use the grinder to get rid of the stumps. I would
like to remove them without using harmful chemicals.

Soft woods like pine don't take too many years to rot away all on
their own with no human intervention. I cut many large spruce trees
on my property and the stumps were reduced to a hole in teh ground
filled with rotting pulp within five years... but these are along a
heavily shaded wooded path where it's always quite moist... would take
twice, maybe three times as long in a sunny dry location. The spruce
I cut were between 18"-24" diameter, you'd be amazed at how large a
hole they leave, takes like two yards of fill.

There are various brands of wood digesting enzymes that will greatly
speed up tree stump decay that are no more hazardous than the cheese
in your fridge. But, if a tree stump is in close proximity to your
residence, especially if at the foundation, it can easily attract wood
eating insects (termites) to your home, then it's best to either dig
it out or if you are unable then hire someone who can, do not leave
them to rot.

snotbottom 25-06-2008 07:56 PM

Getting rid of tree stumps

On Jun 25, 8:57 am, Sheldon wrote:
"tomba wrote:
[...]

This also depends upon location, but you can try burning them out. A
low, slow burn, using the limbs and stuff from the tree. Just burn it
down to where you can cover with soil.

kona 26-06-2008 10:22 PM

thx for your content.

mens shoes uk running shoes uk shoes online uk timberland co uk webkinz uk