GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lazarus Rhodies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/176367-lazarus-rhodies.html)

Maggie 27-06-2008 10:56 PM

Lazarus Rhodies

Hello friends,

I am new here and have a question. Actually three questions.

1. Is there a faq for this forum?

2. I had nice Rhododendron in the yard that just got awfully puny over years
past, failing to bud, failing to flower when it did bud, dropping leaves and
generally being punk for three years. I finally cut it down to the ground
and for the past two years it was just a pathetic 4 armed stump about 2"
high. Suddenly this year it is sprouting leaves and acting as if it's going
to grow. Have you EVER heard of such a thing? Should I move it or wait and
see what it does? The soil tests a bit acidic (5.5). Also, it receives about
4 hrs of sun per day.

Thanks, Maggie

David Hare-Scott 28-06-2008 11:27 AM

Lazarus Rhodies

"Maggie" wrote in message
Hello friends,

I am new here and have a question. Actually three questions.

1. Is there a faq for this forum?

Not that I have seen

2. I had nice Rhododendron in the yard that just got awfully puny over years
past, failing to bud, failing to flower when it did bud, dropping leaves and
generally being punk for three years. I finally cut it down to the ground
and for the past two years it was just a pathetic 4 armed stump about 2"
high. Suddenly this year it is sprouting leaves and acting as if it's going
to grow. Have you EVER heard of such a thing? Should I move it or wait and
see what it does? The soil tests a bit acidic (5.5). Also, it receives about
4 hrs of sun per day.

Dunno, nothing jumps out at me. Where are you?

In answer to the third question : absolutely yes, let it all hang out!

David

Alex[_3_] 01-07-2008 10:56 PM

Lazarus Rhodies

On 27 Jun., 23:56, "Maggie" wrote:
Hello friends,

I am new here and have a question. Actually three questions.

1. Is there a faq for this forum?

2. I had nice Rhododendron in the yard that just got awfully puny over years
past, failing to bud, failing to flower when it did bud, dropping leaves and
generally being punk for three years. I finally cut it down to the ground
and for the past two years it was just a pathetic 4 armed stump about 2"
high. Suddenly this year it is sprouting leaves and acting as if it's going
to grow. Have you EVER heard of such a thing? Should I move it or wait and
see what it does? The soil tests a bit acidic (5.5). Also, it receives about
4 hrs of sun per day.

Thanks, Maggie

Hi Maggie, would like to see some picture of your garden? Why not
sharing them on e.g. rixa.com? Looking forward, Alex.

Maggie[_2_] 02-07-2008 07:04 PM

Lazarus Rhodies

"Alex" wrote in message
On 27 Jun., 23:56, "Maggie" wrote:
Hello friends,

I am new here and have a question. Actually three questions.

snip

Hi Maggie, would like to see some picture of your garden? Why not
sharing them on e.g. rixa.com? Looking forward, Alex.

Hi Alex, I went to rixa.com but it is a forum one must "join" to post
pictures. I will try to find another place to put some soon. Don't expect
too much though as my garden is only an amateur effort...I have much to
learn. Thanks for asking.

Maggie

Alex[_3_] 07-07-2008 09:06 PM

Lazarus Rhodies

On 2 Jul., 20:04, "Maggie" wrote:
"Alex" wrote in message

On 27 Jun., 23:56, "Maggie" wrote:
Hello friends,

I am new here and have a question. Actually three questions.

snip

Hi Maggie, would like to see some picture of your garden? Why not
sharing them on e.g. rixa.com? Looking forward, Alex.

Hi Alex, I went to rixa.com but it is a forum one must "join" to post
pictures. I will try to find another place to put some soon. Don't expect
too much though as my garden is only an amateur effort...I have much to
learn. Thanks for asking.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

registration with rixa.com should be pretty easy - even I was
able... ;-)

Just give it a try - looking forward!

Alex

Stephen Henning 17-07-2008 01:39 AM

Lazarus Rhodies

"Maggie" wrote:

2. I had nice Rhododendron in the yard that just got awfully puny over years
past, failing to bud, failing to flower when it did bud, dropping leaves and
generally being punk for three years. I finally cut it down to the ground
and for the past two years it was just a pathetic 4 armed stump about 2"
high. Suddenly this year it is sprouting leaves and acting as if it's going
to grow. Have you EVER heard of such a thing? Should I move it or wait and
see what it does? The soil tests a bit acidic (5.5). Also, it receives about
4 hrs of sun per day.

A pH of 5.5 is good. However, the decline may have been due to poor
drainage. Good drainage is very important. Also, 4 hours of sun per day
is minimum to get good flower bud production. For more on growing
rhodies, visit my website below:
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Maggie[_2_] 18-07-2008 12:20 AM

Lazarus Rhodies

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
"Maggie" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Steven, I'll go take a look at your links.

Maggie