GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Truncheon propagation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/176684-truncheon-propagation.html)

[email protected] 08-07-2008 09:24 AM

Truncheon propagation

Hello,

i have a question regarding truncheon propagation of the red mulberry.

I just completed a jaunt cross the top of the states and lucked into a
mulberry disarming after it violated the driveway DMZ of our kind
hosts.

my own mulberry at home is on the wane and i now have about 10 feet
of 2-3" dia. fresh branches from tree above.

I understand you can propagate fruit trees with "truncheons", but the
internet hasn't made me an instant expert, so I thought I'd ask for
advice:

as I understand it, truncheoning involves thick branches, new cut,
stripped or their leaves and shoved into the earth for a season.

now, is that vertically or horizontally? How many Truncheons can I get
out of 10' of limb? Does one wound the bark before the burial? Does
rooting hormone help, hurt, or not matter? Do I need to water the
entombed? fertilize? is compost or humus better than soil? if these
branches have viable shoots (a few), should I trim them at the culm
and root them in the standard fashion (i.e, a pot, upright)? etc.

to the victor, a bottle of mulberry wine (deferred!) cette promesse.

:)

TIA,