GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Giant Leopard Moth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/176725-photo-week-giant-leopard-moth.html)

Jack Schmidling 10-07-2008 05:29 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Giant Leopard Moth

It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names
derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.

js

Rick 12-07-2008 02:07 AM

Jack Schmidling wrote:
It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names
derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.

js

Cool picture.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

jadel[_2_] 12-07-2008 10:29 PM

On Jul 10, 12:29*am, Jack Schmidling wrote:
It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names
derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.

Yeah, they show up around here from time to time. The big hickory
moths are impressive, too. I somtimes find the detached wings of large
moths on summer mornings. I assume it was either bats or nighthawks
that killed the moths and devoured the torso.

J. Del Col

Laurence Sheldon 13-07-2008 01:25 AM

jadel wrote:
On Jul 10, 12:29 am, Jack Schmidling wrote:
It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names
derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.

Yeah, they show up around here from time to time. The big hickory
moths are impressive, too. I somtimes find the detached wings of large
moths on summer mornings. I assume it was either bats or nighthawks
that killed the moths and devoured the torso.

Some evidence that our cat may take a few large moths--we find wreckage
every now and again in the garage (which of course is open to ANY
cat-size critter.

--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information: http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs

Trackerway 13-07-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Schmidling (Post 802966)
It's no mystery how this moth got named, both common and Latin names
derive the the pattern of spots on the wings.

js

Woo, I know moths are harmless but I wouldn't want to run into that big boy.