Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default soaking rains, counting bean blossoms, visiting winged dignitaries

Good day friends, Maddie just hanging over the back fence. Don't let
those beans get in the way of our chatting. I was back there
yesterday after the rains came again and saw my FIRST bean blossom!!
Today after the SECOND rainstorm came through and finally let up, I
went and took a quick peek and was caught when the third downpour
started up counting bean blossoms. I think there are now seven.
Nothing like good soaking, ****ing down summer rains to be most
welcome for us gardeners. I was dancing out in the rains like some
middle aged faerie.
Speaking of faeries and other things that I've come to wax about
upon many wordy occasions, I was visited the other day by one of the
winged dignitaries that have come into the area. I was standing beside
the western window that overlooks the fence row tomato/nasturtium/
sweet cowhorn pepper and rhubarb patch and saw the welcome flash of
bright Las Vegas green. A RUFUS HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! I'd
tied the tomato's gently with the hot pink/red soft blanket edging
stuff that the former owner who lived in the house I just moved from
had started crochetting a rug before her untimely demise from her
losing battle from cancer. When I found the unfinished rug downstairs
with all of the other stuff that was left behind, I pulled the end and
it completely unraveled. It was so soft and usable, I decided to wind
it into large balls and secure them for garden stuff. It's awesome
stuff. Never rots, holds up well during sunlight, rains, etc. Not to
mention that the tomato's adore it (and the other things that benefit
from the usage. Apparently the bright color of it had enticed the
Rufus hummers who were supping from the nearby mimosa tree that is
currently in full blossom. I was thrilled and watched as he darted in
amongst the towering tomato "trees" (well to him they were like
trees!) and saw him stop and taste a tomato blossom before doing that
angled escape they do. No amount of searching, though brought me to
find one of many hummingbird nectar feeders that I have accumulated
that they really like best. somewhere in the chaos............not to
mention that box of gardening hand tools that just eludes me
completely! sigh...........
Today was the third day in a row that we got refreshing, thumping
down, soaking rains. I will not complain because last year we were
locked in almost a year long deep drought that I suspect all this rain
has barely touched the deep parched undergrounds yet. It was enough
of a steady downpour that I took out potted plants and moved those
potted up Autumn and Tassel ferns into the soak. In doing so, I
noticed a new unfurling frond of the Tassel fern that I hadn't seen
before.
On the Veronica that is still cranking out blue blossoms, wet and
grumbly bumblies were clinging to the tiny blue flowers all damp and
cold. I stopped to pet a few and they lifted their legs in protest to
be just left alone to be miserable until the rains let up and they
could dry out.
In the smaller, container gardens that I've positioned around the
perimeters of the front yard, the sedums have started to make their
assorted broccoli looking buds in getting ready for their show. I
finally identified one dark beauty in one of the pots. Lynda Windsor,
only because when I first got her, I documented her awesome darkness
and put it into a file and named it appropriately.
One of the true reasons I've rejoiced lately is that I've witnessed
the blooming of three unknown daylilies that I feared I'd lost from
last years adventure with Mr. Savage. I think, not quite sure, but I
believe that I have the hybrid that he grew from seed and named for
his beloved Black Lab, Blossom. The daylily I have is double, and red
and most unusual. Deffinately came from Mr. Savage, I'm hoping it's
his "Savage's Blossom' or Blossom Savage. can't remember what he
called it and I need to reconnect with him which isn't easy with no
transportation...
The other two I will have to search the web for names as I don't
recognize them and just don't know who they are. I don't have any sign
of my beloved "Bruce" at all, nor any of the Silome varieties (little
Fairy was especially wonderful and appropriate) and I'm now just
dealing with the magnatude of loss I have over just the daylilies, let
alone the perennials I will miss this summer. Bitter sweet, I searched
the files and saw faces I knew would have been around had I not
relocated. Oh well, it's a teaching experience.
This year has been a learning experience for me, and it will never
cease to be otherwise. The dogs have slipped into serious city suburb
mode, though. Sugar dawg apparently brought her dislike of squirrels
and rabbits with her. When she spots a fluffy-tailed nutter close by,
she chases it intent on causing it death. She is smart enough being a
Border collie/Black Lab mix to know how to outflank the squirrel and
one day she will have herself a victim. I don't discourage her as they
are city squirrels and will steal my tomato's when they see they're
ripening. Same with the rabbits, although the sweepings of dog and
feline hair deterred them finally to where my beans (fourth sowing)
got a toe hold and are thriving.
The cats have discovered a whole new breed of birds here though.
City birds that are cat wise and not fooled. and that's fine with me.
I like all but the silly morning doves who make quite a nasty mess of
everything and the pigeons that live a few blocks away keep to
themselves as well.
I need to leave but I promise to keep you all posted, and wait
eagerly for updates on your own gardening and the inhibitants of your
special places. Thanks for allowing me to talk a little bit.
maddie up in the green bowl, soaking wet, gardening in zone 7b
surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest and Appalachian mountains

[IMG] code is On

Do soaker hoses stop soaking after a while? Don Wiss Gardening 1 20-04-2010 05:40 PM
soaking tree roots danny22 United Kingdom 16 27-02-2008 08:33 PM
bleach treatment for soaking plants to remove snails, how long? .D.E. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 24-03-2007 07:07 PM
Soaking seeds Rupert United Kingdom 10 29-11-2005 01:21 AM
soaking seeds...positive results DigitalVinyl Gardening 4 20-05-2003 06:32 PM