Old 03-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Getting Rid of Bermuda Grass

My yard is being infested by Bermuda grass. I have Fescue grass and Zoysia that is being attacked by Bermuda grass. I also have the Bermuda grass growing in my flower beds. I don't know how to get rid of it. I've heard of something called "Ornamec" but have not been able to find it locally.

Anyone have any advice/experience with getting rid of Bermuda grass without damaging Fescue, Zoysia or flower beds?

Has anyone used "Ornamec"? Where can I buy it? I live in the Raleigh, NC area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

NCJellybean
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Getting Rid of Bermuda Grass

I do not believe it is possible to remove bermuda without sterilizing the
soil. You will never get it out of your Zoysia or Fescue, as Bermuda is
tougher then they are. Bermuda will be the last thing to die. And
sterilizing the soil probably won't get rid of the bermuda - one single
piece buried 8 inches down will quickly sprout, push through the surface,
and spread. It is the Borg of the grasses, it assimilates everything else.
You might be better off watering it and mowing it and enjoying it. I lived
in Vegas for 15 years, and we grew bermuda lawns because it grows so well in
hot dry climates. It makes for nice looking lawns, too, so I never bothered
to try to remove it. We also seeded rye and fescue for the winter, or for
shady areas, because bermuda turns brown in the winter and won't grow in the
shade.

If the garden is not too badly infested, you can pull it on a regular basis,
like every couple of days. You will probably never get it out of the garden,
but if you pull it out every couple of days, you will keep it under control.
Don't let it go a week or two, it will take over. It takes a very deep mulch
to kill bermuda, and it has to remain for a very long time.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Ornamec. I am rather skeptical that it
will really work as good as advertised, but you never know. Maybe it will.

--
NCJellybean

Old 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 2, 6:41*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
[...]

NCJellybean- Hide quoted text -

There are a few informative videos that you can find through searching
the Web that show both chemical and hand tool methods for removing
Bermudagrass weeds. These tools cannot be found in your local
hardware store.

You can do it!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Have to go with you on this one.
Bermuda grass has 3 growing methods.
Seed. It sprouts and spreads.
Surface laterals. Grow laterally, roots, and continues ad infinitum.
Rootage. The roots, if isolated by pulling the surface grass, will do 2
things. The grass will come back up, AND, spread laterally beneath the
surface to surface somewhere else.
I've also seen Bermuda grass find small drain holes on a growing pot. The
pot is isolated on a large flat rock above the ground. The seekers went
throught the drain holes, up through a foot of soil in the pot, to sprout on
the surface of the soil in the pot.

Not only is it the Borg of grasses, it is also the Terminator as it never,
ever stops.

--
Dave

Old 03-08-2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

I once put concrete barriers in my graden - 1" x 12" x 6" slabs, designed to
stop the bermuda. Much to my surprise (it was my first encounter with
bermuda), the grass went over and under my barriers and quickly assimilated
my garden.

I've always thought bermuda made a nice lawn. It's fairly pretty, it's very
durable, and any damage quickly grows back. It's much easier to maintain
then fescue or rye.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

The only time I'm willing to break out the chemical weapons is on
bermuda grass. Hand weeding is OK for small areas.
It has taken over my lawn. I'm just trying to keep a barren barrier
between the grass and the flower beds because it spreads so fast!