Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG

These are the little devils that are coming into the house. Have been trying
the Terro liquid ant baits for a couple weeks now. They love it, but doesn't
seem to have much affect on them. Any suggestions, PLEASE. Hopefully some of
you have a favorite cure, or a "Killer" idea. We live in a mobile home so I
figure if I spray around the outside, they will just go underneath, which is
probably where they are coming from to begin with. I don't want to call an
exterminator have a bunch of poision sprayed all around.Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul O." wrote:

These are the little devils that are coming into the house. Have been trying
the Terro liquid ant baits for a couple weeks now. They love it, but doesn't
seem to have much affect on them. Any suggestions, PLEASE. Hopefully some of
you have a favorite cure, or a "Killer" idea. We live in a mobile home so I
figure if I spray around the outside, they will just go underneath, which is
probably where they are coming from to begin with. I don't want to call an
exterminator have a bunch of poision sprayed all around.Thanks.

Not to worry.

Go to you local pharmacy and purchase some Boric Acid powder. Mix 1
part to 30 or so parts sugar. Place about in your basement near the
sill in small containers. Two ounces will do it. Soon the guys will
go. We are talking about a purchase of 100 grams good for 100 years.

Aside be sure to provide no food about as it is the ants nature like
vultures to clean up.

Bill who has a back up that is used sometimes. Like 3 times in the
last 6 year.

http://www.ghorganics.com/XClude1600.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Paul O.
"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul O." wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip. Do they get back to the nest with this stuff?

--
Paul O.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Paul O." wrote in message

Thanks for the tip. Do they get back to the nest with this stuff?

--
Paul O.

I've used the same Boric acid/sugar combo as Bill. I learned it from my
grandmother. Works very well. Yes, the ants haul it back to their nest to
feed the colony, they can't tell the difference between Boric acid and
sugar. The Boric acid kills them.

Val

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Paul O.
"Val" wrote in message

"Paul O." wrote in message

Thanks for the tip. Do they get back to the nest with this stuff?

--
Paul O.

I've used the same Boric acid/sugar combo as Bill. I learned it from my
grandmother. Works very well. Yes, the ants haul it back to their nest to
feed the colony, they can't tell the difference between Boric acid and
sugar. The Boric acid kills them.

Val
Thanks, I will definitely give this a try.

--
Paul O.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul O." wrote in message
These are the little devils that are coming into the house. Have been
trying the Terro liquid ant baits for a couple weeks now. They love it,
but doesn't seem to have much affect on them. Any suggestions, PLEASE.
Hopefully some of you have a favorite cure, or a "Killer" idea. We live in
a mobile home so I figure if I spray around the outside, they will just go
underneath, which is probably where they are coming from to begin with. I
don't want to call an exterminator have a bunch of poision sprayed all
around.Thanks.

--
Paul O.

You should be able to get Boric Acid in an economy size bottle with a
pointed spout for dispensing at some hardware or gardening outlets.
Dispense at all potential points of entry.

Go under and around the mobile home looking for both water leaks and
potential places for feeding. Eliminate both. If the AC condensation pipe
is right at the edge of the mobile home, route a drain area a few feet out
from the mobile home. A splash block is fine.

The idea is to get the ants to move, you can't kill them all.
--
Dave

Old 11-08-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/10/2008 3:49 PM, Paul O. wrote:
These are the little devils that are coming into the house. Have been trying
the Terro liquid ant baits for a couple weeks now. They love it, but doesn't
seem to have much affect on them. Any suggestions, PLEASE. Hopefully some of
you have a favorite cure, or a "Killer" idea. We live in a mobile home so I
figure if I spray around the outside, they will just go underneath, which is
probably where they are coming from to begin with. I don't want to call an
exterminator have a bunch of poision sprayed all around.Thanks.

Most ant baits are not toxic to the adult ants that you see foraging.
Those adults carry the bait back to their nest and feed it to the ant
larvae, for which the bait is indeed toxic. The whole nest dies when an
entire generation of larvae fail to become adults and replace the
existing adults. That takes about a month or two.

I have a different approach, but it works only if I can find the actual
nest. I make a drench of a pint of water and a half-teaspoon of
Malathion and pour it onto the nest. (Larger nests might require a
quart of water and a teaspoon of Malathion.) Bye-bye nest.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

The borax sugar bait lasts for years. Another option which does not
kill is a few drops of oil of pennyroyal. Ants canąt stand it and leave
works well here. Caution toxic if ingested it and Iąd avoid contact.
Also a very strong mint smell that fades in a few days. In my basement
we can but up with the scent but no way in living space.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

I'll get the feathers. Someone else want to get the tar boiling?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

Crazy is as crazy does. Forest Gump modified.

Man I just want to have a pristine world where the grass is 3.22 inches
tall I can place my balls in the hole. Nature under control and dead.

Pan is dead long live Pan. Waterboys.

http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/

Bill

--