Old 30-08-2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Pepper saga.......... Plants were checked.

In article ,
lid says...

Now, about the wasps. My job is construction. Many times, when working
at someones house, I will encounter a wasp nest. Someone showed me the
soapy water trick many years ago. Fill a pan or large bowl with soapy
water. Fling it on the wasp nest. Done.

I can't try it on wasps since we don't have any here at the moment. But
since the soap and flour didn't kill the WF and SMs, I would have to be out
of my mind to toss it on wasps. You really need to tell people to try it on
insects not dangerous to themselves before recommending they toss it on
wasps. When it fails to kill the wasps as it did the WF and SMs, and the
person is stung, they can go into shock and die.

Who said soap and flour?

And how did you manage to spray a nozzle clogging soap and flour
mixture, anyway?

Soap, has worked for us on the rare occasion we've needed it.

As for wasps and bees... Bees, you leave alone for obvious reasons
except when there's a hive in an inconvenient place because bee hives
keep growing. Wasps, you leave alone because they're predators and
__pollinators__ and most helpful with cabbage worms etc. except when
their hive or nesting site is in a very inconvenient place.

....and with wasps, if you're persistent, a jet of water will knock down
and destroy most nests and they'll give up and build elsewhere. Yellow
jackets underground.

This isn't something I'd recommend, but I've removed wasp nests by just
scraping them off or out with my Japanese farmer's knife.

Finally, with wasps, leaving a good sized, dead, nest in place may keep
other wasps from building. I left one beautiful, complete, paper wasp
nest inside our garden shed and they've not tried to build anything in
there in the past couple of years.
Old 31-08-2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
jellybean stonerfish wrote:

Now, about the wasps. My job is construction. Many times, when

You really need to tell people to
try it on insects not dangerous to themselves before recommending they
toss it on wasps. When it fails to kill the wasps as it did the WF and
SMs, and the person is stung, they can go into shock and die.

Be afraid, be very afraid.....

Some wasps are pollinators, aren't they? You kind of have to stay away
from certain plants at certain times of the day. Black-eyed peas are a
good example. Ours are always full of wasps in the morning. Gosh I
hate getting stung by a wasp. It's an awful feeling unlike anything
else. I have often accidentally reached for a bumblebee when picking
blackberries but at least they start to rumble and buzz as you reach out
to touch them. None have yet stung me. They are amazingly soft to the
touch... lol. My husband ran over a wasp nest with the tractor and they
stung the hell out him. The kind that nests in the ground is rather
vicious.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot