Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree?

Have a large Cedar tree and it has a large root that has grown out
which is 6 feet from the tree and is creating another stump in the
yard. Can one cut out this stump from the root without killing the
tree?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Albert" wrote in message
Have a large Cedar tree and it has a large root that has grown out
which is 6 feet from the tree and is creating another stump in the
yard. Can one cut out this stump from the root without killing the
tree?

Not real clear on what you are calling a stump, but, you can cut the root
without killing the tree immediately, but, if rot enters the cut root, there
can be future damage. Perhaps put a bench over it, rather than cut it?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Albert wrote:

Have a large Cedar tree and it has a large root that has grown out
which is 6 feet from the tree and is creating another stump in the
yard. Can one cut out this stump from the root without killing the
tree?

I've seen trees that had fully half their roots shorn off a decade or two
prior, and they continued to thrive. I also had the awful experience of a
tree having just one root damaged and the tree dropped dead after a couple
years. A few cedars like the Port Orford Cedar have greater susceptibility
to root rot, though I don't know that it's proven preliminary root damage
got the disease started. Other cedars, like the western red, are so tough
that even if a root gets rot in it, it rarely spreads to other roots, so
the trees are nearly never seen to have died of it.

As a very broad generality, a trees roots reach as wide as the tree is
tall, and it can lose a third of the roots toward the end without seeming
to notice. A thirty foot cedar could have the ground completely plowed
twenty feet away; a twenty foot cedar could have a lot shoveling done
twelve or fifteen feet away. So you say "large" and six feet away, you may
at least want to try not to severe the root that produced the new cedar,
by grinding only the top surface of the root. Very likely the root that
mothered a new tree is a foot below ground and you wouldn't need to grind
that deep.

Even if you have to do more than that to be rid of what you call a second
"stump," I'd say you should be able to grind that into the ground and not
too much risk to the parent cedar. But you won't know for sure it caused
no harm for three or five years. I'd put the odds in favor of no after
effects, no riskier than cutting suckers from a grafted tree. It COULD be
regarded as healthy to the parent tree to rid a root of anything like a
large root-swelling or a sucker that impedes water uptake to the main
tree. Worth considering both the worst-case and best-case outcome before
deciding what to do!

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 11-08-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Albert

in addition to what others offer here are some sugestions.
Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

Albert

in addition to what others offer here are some sugestions.

and on, and on, and on he drones.

John, you didn't even address the question. You insufferable.

Your response makes as little sense as if you had just
assigned it arbitrarily. Tell me you're autistic, and it
will all make sense. But if you're not autistic, then you are
sadistic for the numbing boredom of your responses.
Communicate! Don't cut-and-paste. Respond to the freakin'
question.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/11/2008 11:39 AM, Albert wrote:
Have a large Cedar tree and it has a large root that has grown out
which is 6 feet from the tree and is creating another stump in the
yard. Can one cut out this stump from the root without killing the
tree?

I would get a professional arborist to answer this. The answers vary by
the type of tree and the growing conditions.

My ash tree -- more than twice the height of my two-story house and
having a trunk over 9 feet in circumference at chest height -- has many
surface roots. An arborist told me that I could completely remove all
surface roots in an area that is about 1/3 of the drip zone and that,
after waiting a year or two, remove the roots in another 1/3, etc. The
tree has sufficient deep roots that removing surface roots (1/3 at a
time) would not harm it.

However, a cedar is not an ash. That's why you need professional advice.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

Albert

in addition to what others offer here are some sugestions.

and on, and on, and on he drones.

John, you didn't even address the question. You insufferable.

Your response makes as little sense as if you had just
assigned it arbitrarily. Tell me you're autistic, and it
will all make sense. But if you're not autistic, then you are
sadistic for the numbing boredom of your responses.
Communicate! Don't cut-and-paste. Respond to the freakin'
question.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

You are not a tree person.

You are not my judge of my material. It has been and still is accepted
worldwide. Again, you are not a tree person.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Of course

--
For lucid information on the care of trees and their associates I would most
highly recommend www.shigoandtrees.com . Dr Shigo taught A NEW TREE BIOLOGY

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Albert" wrote in message
Have a large Cedar tree and it has a large root that has grown out
which is 6 feet from the tree and is creating another stump in the
yard. Can one cut out this stump from the root without killing the
tree?

If you mean a shoot has sprouted from a surface traveler root, just mow it
down. If that is not what you mean, please define "stump" as used in your
post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_stump
--
Dave