Old 21-08-2008, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ironite Questions?

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:42:05 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

You spray sticky diluted molasses on the plants in summer? How can you
know
how much iron the plants are getting and how often do you do it? Also,
how
to you keep from drawing insects with something like molasses? Here we'd
have problems with things like raccoons and possums.

One tablespoon to a gallon of water as a foliar spray along with
liquid seaweed. I have opossums and raccoons in my yard and they
don't have problems.

Mine don't have problems either, I have a problem with them.... they eat
my veggies! = O How often are you spraying your garden with the
Molasses? They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to
start ordering things online because the shipping is often as much as the
items to be shipped.

OK. I will Google them but just want you to know I've used it here for at
least 15 years and have seen no problems. The gardens are still full of
toads and box turtles. Moles are still a serious pest at times.
Earthworms
and grubs thrive.....

Why did you ask a question if you already know the answer?

I asked what the issues were, the problems with Ironite since I haven't
had any problems using it.

Arsenic poisins the central nervous system, likewise copper and lead. I'm
not going to say it but...

One application of greensand will work for many years, unlike ironite or
seaweed which will quickly break down.

Old 21-08-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

I'm in Central TN, not far from Nashville.

There's only one Nursery in our area and they more or less carry the same
stuff the big chains carry plus bone and blood meal.

I doubt that, though organic supplies are often more difficult to find.
It simply requires a little more searching.

Have you called these people? They seem to be in your neck of the woods:
Dicken's Supply, 814 Cherokee Ave., Nashville, TN 37207 (615) 227-1111
http://www.dickenssupply.com/SOIL%20...NG%20MIXES.htm

Here's another company I purchase from.
Biocontrol Network
5116 Williamsburg Rd, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027
http://www.biconet.com/index.html
Give Eric a jingle, he'll treat you dandy.
(800) 441-BUGS (2847)

We can't afford these organic meals anymore as they're $5 to $6 for small
bags and we have several gardens.

You need to find a feed mill that handles grain and livestock feed. A
50lb sack of cotton seed meal $13.75. About the same price for alfalfa meal
and close to the same for a 50lb sack of Fertrell green sand. Though I'm
still looking for an inexpensive local source for 50lb sacks of feather meal
and blood meal. I imagine I could order from the dealer I buy the green sand
from, though I haven't tried.

We are however, picking up loads of organic mulch from a nearby city's
shredding lot to work into the soil this year. We can't generate enough of
our own to compost on only an acre of land.

It certainly is more difficult if the land doesn't produce the needed
organic material.

Steve Young

Old 21-08-2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:19:55 -0700, Billy
wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

snipped, as is civilized

A bit of kind advice: read the actual words I posted, not the
ones you've convinced yourself I posted so as to support your
spittle-flecked rant.

And I, dumb bunny, only used yours ;O)

Well, see, that's the problem. You didn't use my words, you used
your own honkin' huge assumptions about what I must have really
meant. You assembled a toxic straw man, pretended it was me, and
attacked it with spittle a flyin'.

Meanwhile, I've been over here, on the sidelines, being amused.

Bio-nazi wasn't mine.

Wasn't mine, either. Where'd it come from?

Bio-nazi is what is known as as an invective in literate circles.
You brought this to the party and you didn't care who you smeared.
You could have said, as Mr. Mr. Shields said. "But lead is lead is
lead."

Or...more accurately... but frothing is frothing is frothing.

Why are you here? You can find some other place to jerk-off.
Gardening connects to a lot of areas in our lives but calling
people Bio-nazis is so . . . "Limbaugh",

Who called anyone a bio-nazi?

and invectives have no
place in this discussion, ...

....except for when you use them, apparently.

unless you have already been smeared
with one, as you did to Jangchub.

What did I call Jangchub?

Ah ah...not what you assumed, not what you imagined...what I
actually said.

Apparently, others here knew
you when you were sane, I don't have that advantage.

I'm sure if you get back on your meds, you'll be just fine.

We have
enough potty mouths already, thank you. If you can't express
yourself, don't try.

Perhaps you should consider your own advice.

Grow-up and contribute or go jerk-off somewhere else.

Ironite is poison and you can't even say it. You're freakin'
hopeless. You can argue that it is dilute poison but that is . . .
You said Bio-nazis, and in doing so, and by implication, you
supported a toxic product.

See, there's that straw man you've been humping so wildly in post
after post. I hope you at least took the poor thing out for
dinner first.

I will suggest one more time, that you actually read what I
wrote. Wipe the spittle and mucus off your screen, and put your
assumptions in a box on the top shelf of a dark closet so you're
not tempted to take them out and use them. Read all the way to
the bottom.

Happy now?

Deliriously.

To me you are just a dumb, trying-to-look-clever bitch.

Get real or get lost.

Buhuhahahahahahahahah!

Penelope

I am not slow of mind. However, sometimes I can fall
on unintelligent acts.
Old 21-08-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

[...]

I have two computers and can reconstruct the entire interaction, go
intercourse yourself, dear maternal mutt that you are. Bwaha
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 21-08-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:31:34 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote:

Hi-Yield Copperas

I think you would have to go to a nursery, not a big box store to get
it. I got it for years from a local organic nursery; but when they
retired, I was still able to get it from a more traditional nursery. I
would just call a few nurseries or plant stores near where you live
and ask if they carry it.

Will do but organic gardening isn't all that popular where I live. When I
tried to get all organic fertilizers I went into sticker shock. The cost of
blood meal and bone meal are astronomical! You'd think it was gold meal.
People with small gardens can probably afford such prices, those of us with
larger gardens would have to sell our firstborn sons.

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

Since my fav organic nursery closed two years ago, it's been difficult
to get organic products, and no one place seems to carry more than one
or two, so I end up driving all over the place.

Ad not all the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot carry all the
same items, so if they don't appear to have a market for organic
products in an area, that store won't carry them. Both the Lowe's and
the Home Depot nearest me don't carry much in the way of organic
products. I have to go to a Home Depot almost 25 miles away to get to
one that does, and even then, the choices are limited. It hard work to
stay organic around here!

I really miss my organic nursery, they were always willing to try and
get products that I'd read about on the web, or help me find a
suitable alternative. The biggest problem is finding potting soil
without any fertilizer in it, but that's a whine for another post.

I've learned to make my own potting soil. It's much cheaper than buying it.
Us retired people have to watch what we spend.

I used to make all my own, but I'm not retired, so free time is the
limiting factor for me.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 21-08-2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:42:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

I have two computers and can reconstruct the entire interaction, go
intercourse yourself, dear maternal mutt that you are. Bwaha

But apparently you have difficulty reading it. Hence my suggestion to
wipe the spittle off your screen.

However, I accept your admission of being in error despite its
ungracious nature.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 21-08-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have
the word product included. Sure dried blood, bone meal etc. and other
products are costly. But is it not a fundamental idea to put back into
the soil more than we take out. Aside Bone meal and Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease scary.
How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once
alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there
are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making
friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage.
Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top
of the chain.

Bill wondering why my eyelid is itching. )

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 21-08-2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have
the word product included. Sure dried blood, bone meal etc. and other
products are costly. But is it not a fundamental idea to put back into
the soil more than we take out. Aside Bone meal and Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease scary.

How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once
alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there
are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making
friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage.

And coffee shops for their spent grounds

Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top
of the chain.

Not to mention the feast it would provide red worms.
http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/ind...how_aux_page=3
Wouldn't be long before a pound turns into 10 pounds

Steve Young
Old 21-08-2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
What is greensand.?

Richard M. Watkin,

Just So happens greensand is mined 15 miles from here in Marlton, NJ.
USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensand

Iıd hazard a guess the town got itıs name from Marl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marl

Iıve got a few hundred pounds of it scattered about from 30 years ago.
Breaks down slow I read.

Lots of these questions are answered in ³ Encyclopedia of ORGANIC
Gardening².

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ripbooks&field
-keywords=Encyclopedia+of+ORGANIC+Gardening&x=11&y= 11

Bill now out to moving chip 75 F on Aug. 21

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 21-08-2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:38:03 -0400, Bill
wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have
the word product included.

Why? Not everyone has the time or the free access you appear to have
to organic...er...materials. Should they be banned from trying to
garden organically?

Sure dried blood, bone meal etc. and other
products are costly. But is it not a fundamental idea to put back into
the soil more than we take out. Aside Bone meal and Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease scary.

I don't use bone meal or blood meal for much the same reason. I did go
quite a long distance this spring to get a bag of pelleted soil
amendment that was made from a blend of cotton seed meal and other
goodies like that because it didn't use bone or blood meal. It's still
kinda high in nitrogen, though, so I used it on the lawn this spring,
and set aside a bit to till into the vegetable garden this winter. I
figure it will have been broken down enough by spring that the
nitrogen won't be a problem.

How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once
alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there
are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making
friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage.
Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top
of the chain.

Maria has already described the steps she takes to incorporate compost
and yard clippings into her garden. I use horse manure, although I
have no one to deliver it, and must find the time to go and load lots
of buckets and trash cans, as many as I can fit into my car. Both of
us still find a need for store bought products once in a while.

I don't use cover crops or green manures because I find the horse
manure already raises the nitrogen in the soil higher than makes me
happy. I can't get yard litter from the city compost pile anymore, it
proved to be such a popular item that the city charges for it, even
for a few grocery bagfuls. Well, I shouldn't say "can't", I could, but
I refuse to pay what they're charging for a product of marginal
quality.

As to begging for...um...materials from cafeteria employees, high or
cold sober, for me it's mostly a time issue. Bully for you that you
have the luxury of time to do things like that. I don't right now.

I would like you to explain the difference to the bacteria, fungi, and
the like between store bought organic products and...uh...materials
you sponged off someone for free?

Bill wondering why my eyelid is itching. )

Along as it's not frothing...

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 21-08-2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:07:50 -0400, "Steve Young"
bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

Not to mention the feast it would provide red worms.
http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/ind...how_aux_page=3
Wouldn't be long before a pound turns into 10 pounds

So, aren't you concerned about spreading what is considered to be an
invasive species?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 21-08-2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

alt.binaries.pictures.nature
I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have
the word product included.

Why? Not everyone has the time or the free access you appear to have
to organic...er...materials. Should they be banned from trying to
garden organically?

Nonsense.

[...]

Not only N2 but humus and other stuff.

As to begging for...um...materials from cafeteria employees, high or
cold sober, for me it's mostly a time issue. Bully for you that you
have the luxury of time to do things like that. I don't right now.

Begging na just saving. You may not have time is a misnomer. Slow and
steady comes to mind and forget instant gratification. Takes time and
work your job or your hand.

I would like you to explain the difference to the bacteria, fungi, and
the like between store bought organic products and...uh...materials
you sponged off someone for free?

I provide with less effort. Sponged just earned you my disrespect.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 21-08-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:07:50 -0400, "Steve Young"
bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

Not to mention the feast it would provide red worms.
http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/ind...how_aux_page=3
Wouldn't be long before a pound turns into 10 pounds

So, aren't you concerned about spreading what is considered to be an
invasive species?

Penelope

Brought over in about 1650. I note the forest has changed due to red
worms and the way the forest recycles leaves. Still 400 years ago? I'd
worry about great lake bilges from world wide shipping traffic.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 21-08-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:38:03 -0400, Bill

[...]
How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once
alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there
are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making
friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage.
Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top
of the chain.

Maria has already described the steps she takes to incorporate compost
and yard clippings into her garden.

I use horse manure, although I
have no one to deliver it, and must find the time to go and load lots
of buckets and trash cans, as many as I can fit into my car.

ahh, the beauty of driving an old clunker

Both of us still find a need for store bought products
once in a while.

You and your significant other ???

I don't use cover crops or green manures because I find the horse
manure already raises the nitrogen in the soil higher than makes me
happy. I can't get yard litter from the city compost pile anymore, it
proved to be such a popular item that the city charges for it, even
for a few grocery bagfuls. Well, I shouldn't say "can't", I could, but
I refuse to pay what they're charging for a product of marginal
quality.

As to begging for...um...materials from cafeteria employees, high or
cold sober, for me it's mostly a time issue. Bully for you that you
have the luxury of time to do things like that. I don't right now.

Why do you insert your life / lifestyle over that of the thread originator?
She said she was retired. I would think the purpose of this thread is to
discuss all options / alternatives. After all, we landed on greensand as a
better substitute to her original query on Ironite.

I would like you to explain the difference to the bacteria, fungi, and
the like between store bought organic products and...uh...materials
you sponged off someone for free?

It's no contest with red worms, they prefer garbage any day. Perhaps you're
foolish enough to feed them store bought produce?

Steve Young

[IMG] code is On

Ironite Questions? Marie Dodge Edible Gardening 225 11-09-2008 06:10 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 06:26 AM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 04:03 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 10-12-2003 12:03 AM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 06:08 AM