Old 22-08-2008, 10:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ironite Questions?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Send me an email with our location or approximation if you don't want
to give out the exact location and I will find a nursery which sells a
line of organic products, including greensand.

Watch your email for my reply.

Old 22-08-2008, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

I'm in Central TN, not far from Nashville.

There's only one Nursery in our area and they more or less carry the
same
stuff the big chains carry plus bone and blood meal.

I doubt that, though organic supplies are often more difficult to find.
It simply requires a little more searching.

Have you called these people? They seem to be in your neck of the woods:
Dicken's Supply, 814 Cherokee Ave., Nashville, TN 37207 (615) 227-1111
http://www.dickenssupply.com/SOIL%20...NG%20MIXES.htm

I never heard of them. I'm about 30 miles from Nashville and don't shop
there. I'll call them in the morning and see what their prices are like. I
would need enough for say a 900 sq ft garden. I don't see greensand listed
there.

Here's another company I purchase from.
Biocontrol Network
5116 Williamsburg Rd, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027
http://www.biconet.com/index.html
Give Eric a jingle, he'll treat you dandy.
(800) 441-BUGS (2847)

That's quite a distance from here. I don't see soil amendments at the site.

We can't afford these organic meals anymore as they're $5 to $6 for small
bags and we have several gardens.

You need to find a feed mill that handles grain and livestock feed. A
50lb sack of cotton seed meal $13.75. About the same price for alfalfa
meal
and close to the same for a 50lb sack of Fertrell green sand. Though I'm
still looking for an inexpensive local source for 50lb sacks of feather
meal
and blood meal. I imagine I could order from the dealer I buy the green
sand
from, though I haven't tried.

A 50 lbs sack of any of these products wouldn't go anywhere in my gardens.
I'd need at least 8 to10 50 lb sacks to make a difference @ $13.75 each.
How large is your garden BTW?

We are however, picking up loads of organic mulch from a nearby city's
shredding lot to work into the soil this year. We can't generate enough
of
our own to compost on only an acre of land.

It certainly is more difficult if the land doesn't produce the needed
organic material.

Aside from the house and gardens, it's all lawn and woods.

Steve Young

Old 22-08-2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
I misread and thought you said you were in Central Texas, but I can
see you are in C. Tenn. Let me know a more specific spot and I will
find you an outlet to buy these products.

I live way out in the country. Murfreesboro is the closest city or town.

Old 22-08-2008, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote
"polecanoe" wrote

i think it is illegal to sell this toxic waste in most states. get
greensand.

They don't sell greensand here that I know of, and I have 3 large veggie
gardens. What well known stores carry it?

http://www.fertrell.com/soil_amendments.html
http://www.fertrell.com/outlets.html

Thanks. It's odd they have no prices listed for their products. People have
to call for prices.

Old 22-08-2008, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , lid says...
Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite?
What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to
sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

To answer part of your question...

It's legal to sell it because .gov isn't up to date, isn't there to
protect your interests unless you force the issue, is always there to
protect business interests because business responds to every threat
with the best financed whiners and/or lawyers and/or disinformation
campaigns etc. etc. etc.

And you seem to be trying to convince yourself, that taking some poison
with your convenient solution is acceptable.

What makes you think I drink Ironite? It's tilled into the soil and lasts
all season.

It's pretty clear that you are trying to justify using Ironite and any
information that doesn't supply you with the same convenience isn't
going to seem practical to you.

I justify using what I need in my garden to grow plants. Convenience counts
as does cost. I don't enjoy your unlimited income.

And if your garden is as big as you say it is, how many people are
eating the produce?

Two of us.

That too should weigh in because kids absorb lead far more than adults.

Our kids are all grown and gone on with lives of their own. They wouldn't be
offered a glass of liquid Ironite either.

Old 22-08-2008, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message

The number one cause of childrens overdose ending in in death is
'merica.

No child here has died from eating Ironite. They get the lead from old paint
and some toys from overseas.

Old 22-08-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

The number one cause of childrens overdose ending in in death is
'merica.

No child here has died from eating Ironite. They get the lead from old paint
and some toys from overseas.

Main cause is Iron from vitamins. So keep those vitamins that look
like Fred Flintstone and Iron pills in a secure place.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec21/ch326/ch326i.html

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 22-08-2008, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Jangchub" wrote

I don't have a problem with animals eating things in the garden. I'm
not implying you don't have a problem with it, just that I don't. I
am honored they feel safe enough to be here.

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies.
Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen
pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.

Being financially constrained as you are, don't you look out there and see
turkey dinner? Hell, if I were in your shoes, it wouldn't be long before I
smelled it cooking, right along side the sweet tators and dressing ))

Old 22-08-2008, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Marie Dodge said:

They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start
ordering
things online because the shipping is often as much as the items to be
shipped.

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes

shipping
is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even these days).

Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship
water:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1313001.html

Get it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.

The product is $14.75 and shipping is $11.50 = $27.25!

That much lasts me two or three years. (And my quoted shipping by
USPS was only $7.00.) It's equivalent to many *gallons* of liquid seaweed.

I wouldn't transplant anything without it. Greens up the occasional
plant that goes chlorotic. Promotes general vigor as a foliar feed.

(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied
customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )

http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/maxicroppowder.html

If I ever play and win the Lottery maybe I can afford some of this high
priced organic stuff.

If you gardened on a sand pit like mine, it wouldn't make sense to fertilize
any other way...rain will leach anything soluable right away, which is money
down the drain (almost literally).

My main fertilizer in the vegetable garden is alfalfa (pellets), supplemented
by Maxicrop and all the compost and mulch I can make from autumn
leaves collected all around the neighborhood. Still have some bags of
leaves way in the back from last fall, which will go into more batches of
compost as the sweetcorn stalks get pulled.

15 or so years ago I was able to give the veggie garden a heavy dose of
greensand, but I was lucky at the time to be able to buy it locally in 40
pound bags. Doubt if I could afford that now, as no one seems to carry
it in big bags anymore and the freight costs on that would be really
astronomical. I wish that weren't the case, though...

I buy this mail order *even though* I have seen liquid kelp on sale
locally, because it is so much less expensive (in the long run) to buy
the dry powder even considering shipping, and because the dry powder
is so much more convenient to store.

I'm in Lowe's and Home Depot regularly and yet haven't seen any of these
organic fertilizers. Perhaps there isn't enough call for them here. Or
they're so expensive people wont pay the price. Twice I bought the liquid
Iron and twice it turned into a tinny smelling liquid once opened, with
white stuff like scale in it at the bottom. That was when I switched to
Ironite.

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can mix it
up as needed.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 22-08-2008, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"polecanoe" wrote

i think it is illegal to sell this toxic waste in most states. get
greensand.

They don't sell greensand here that I know of, and I have 3 large veggie
gardens. What well known stores carry it?

http://www.fertrell.com/soil_amendments.html
http://www.fertrell.com/outlets.html

Thanks. It's odd they have no prices listed for their products. People
have to call for prices.

Actually, I gave you the first link so you could see the amendments used for
organic farming, perhaps learn some of the tricks / solutions we have at our
disposal.

I gave you the second link so you could use it as fodder for searching out a
dealer near you. It is a list you could poke and learn. But, alas, all you
want to do is whine about money.

There's a reason why po folks is po folks

Steve Young

Old 22-08-2008, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote

Marie Dodge said:

They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start
ordering things online because the shipping is often as much
as the items to be shipped.

Try nematodes for that relationship, then try finding live ones locally

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes shipping
is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even these days).

Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship
water:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1313001.html

Get it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.

The product is $14.75 and shipping is $11.50 = $27.25!

(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied
customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )
http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/maxicroppowder.html

If I ever play and win the Lottery maybe I can afford some of this high
priced organic stuff.

oh poor me
I guess you'll just have to kick back and retire from gardening

I buy this mail order *even though* I have seen liquid kelp on sale
locally, because it is so much less expensive (in the long run) to buy
the dry powder even considering shipping, and because the dry powder
is so much more convenient to store.

I'm in Lowe's and Home Depot regularly and yet haven't seen any of these
organic fertilizers. Perhaps there isn't enough call for them here. Or
they're so expensive people wont pay the price. Twice I bought the liquid
Iron and twice it turned into a tinny smelling liquid once opened, with
white stuff like scale in it at the bottom. That was when I switched to
Ironite.

You're wanting to buy the wrong stuff at the wrong places and then
disappointed that you can't, or you get overcharged

Old 22-08-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:47:44 -0500, Marie Dodge wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

It's truly shocking what the cost of organic farming/gardening has come
to. = O

No as expensive as putting unsafe chemicals on your crops.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Jangchub" wrote

I don't have a problem with animals eating things in the garden. I'm
not implying you don't have a problem with it, just that I don't. I
am honored they feel safe enough to be here.

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies.
Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen
pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.

Being financially constrained as you are, don't you look out there and see
turkey dinner? Hell, if I were in your shoes, it wouldn't be long before
I smelled it cooking, right along side the sweet tators and dressing ))

We haven't got the heart to shoot them. It's also illegal..... but we've
been tempted. The plump sleek deer we sometimes see walking an old deerpath
about 25 feet into the woods behind our house also look tasty. ;-)

Old 22-08-2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:19:17 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Oh, I use the Ironite once a year. It's turned over with the fertilizer
and
organic matter. I'll see what Seaweed costs. I may not be able to afford
spray a 900 to 100 sq. ft of garden every 10 days with it. To spray the
plants lightly takes 3 to 4 gallons of water. More organic fertilizers are
now being priced outside our budget. I can no longer afford bone and blood
meal. Organic gardening is becoming something for those of higher incomes,
not for the retired.

You are overusing Ironite. I mean, use it if you want, but you are
wasting money by using it too often. What are the symptoms you get
which tell you to apply Ironite yearly?

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the gardens.
The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural limestone
locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic.
That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die
from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some
stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them.
But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to
know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies.
Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen
pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.

What do scavengers eat naturally?

That depends on which scavenger you're talking about. Even humans can fit
into that category. Insects and bugs are the worst garden pests here, not
animals.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Marie Dodge said:

They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start
ordering
things online because the shipping is often as much as the items to be
shipped.

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes

shipping
is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even these days).

Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship
water:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1313001.html

Get it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.

The product is $14.75 and shipping is $11.50 = $27.25!

That much lasts me two or three years. (And my quoted shipping by
USPS was only $7.00.) It's equivalent to many *gallons* of liquid
seaweed.

My quoted shipping was $11.50 cheapest way. You must live closer to the
place. How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

I wouldn't transplant anything without it. Greens up the occasional
plant that goes chlorotic. Promotes general vigor as a foliar feed.

(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied
customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )

http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/maxicroppowder.html

If I ever play and win the Lottery maybe I can afford some of this high
priced organic stuff.

If you gardened on a sand pit like mine, it wouldn't make sense to
fertilize
any other way...rain will leach anything soluable right away, which is
money
down the drain (almost literally).

I understand. Where I live it's a poor droughty clay. We had to till in
loads and loads of organic matter to grow anything. It was forest when I
bought this land many years ago. It's only the last few years we're really
getting into vegetable gardening. I just started canning again this year.
Now that we're retired we have more time - but less money. We're living
on SS and the few extra bucks he makes helping out a friend once a week or
so. A a small savings account for emergency use. To someone working full
time, or your average Yuppie, the cost of organic stuff is affordable. To
the retired, unless they have "other income," it's just too darn expensive.

My main fertilizer in the vegetable garden is alfalfa (pellets),
supplemented
by Maxicrop and all the compost and mulch I can make from autumn
leaves collected all around the neighborhood. Still have some bags of
leaves way in the back from last fall, which will go into more batches of
compost as the sweetcorn stalks get pulled.
15 or so years ago I was able to give the veggie garden a heavy dose of
greensand, but I was lucky at the time to be able to buy it locally in 40
pound bags. Doubt if I could afford that now, as no one seems to carry
it in big bags anymore and the freight costs on that would be really
astronomical. I wish that weren't the case, though...

I have the same problem! I have to have everything shipped and that is not
possible anymore. I even had to order a canner through Ace Hardware in town.
I was surprised to find canning jars at Wal*Mart. This area of my county is
no longer agricultural. Farmers give up in disgust to droughts and pest
invasions and the high cost of fuel and pesticides. Where farms once were I
see subdivisions full of Yuppies. Cattle farms have turned into huge
shopping Malls. The stores cater to them... not to us looking for organic
garden products. These newcomers hire Lawn Services and never dirty their
hands.

I'm in Lowe's and Home Depot regularly and yet haven't seen any of these
organic fertilizers. Perhaps there isn't enough call for them here. Or
they're so expensive people wont pay the price. Twice I bought the liquid
Iron and twice it turned into a tinny smelling liquid once opened, with
white stuff like scale in it at the bottom. That was when I switched to
Ironite.

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can mix
it
up as needed.

How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

After enlightenment, the laundry.

[IMG] code is On

Ironite Questions? Marie Dodge Edible Gardening 225 11-09-2008 06:10 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 06:26 AM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 04:03 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 10-12-2003 12:03 AM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 06:08 AM