Old 17-08-2008, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ironite Questions?

Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite? What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

Old 17-08-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:32:09 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite? What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous
sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is
relatively cheap, and effective.

Penelope

- "pointed"

Old 19-08-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite?
What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to
sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

They sell horticultural grade molassas and that is what I use for
iron. Since my pH is high I also use magnesium along with it in order
to provide more availablity in the soil. You can broadcast magnesium
in the form of epsom salt and if you dilute it enough, you can use
molassas in a hose end sprayer.

You spray sticky diluted molasses on the plants in summer? How can you know
how much iron the plants are getting and how often do you do it? Also, how
to you keep from drawing insects with something like molasses? Here we'd
have problems with things like raccoons and possums.

Ironite contains levels of arsenic I am not willing to use. It will
help kill soil organisms along with larger fauna in the gardens. I
avoid it. There are plenty of websites you can read with pro and con
on the subject of ironite.

OK. I will Google them but just want you to know I've used it here for at
least 15 years and have seen no problems. The gardens are still full of
toads and box turtles. Moles are still a serious pest at times. Earthworms
and grubs thrive.....

Old 19-08-2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite?
What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to
sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous
sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is
relatively cheap, and effective.

Where do you get it? I've not seen or heard about it here in central TN. Who
carries it?

Penelope

- "pointed"

Old 19-08-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"polecanoe" wrote in message
i think it is illegal to sell this toxic waste in most states. get
greensand.

They don't sell greensand here that I know of, and I have 3 large veggie
gardens. What well known stores carry it?

Old 19-08-2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

i'm sure that any reputable garden center can and will get greensand for
you. if you local home depot walmart and lowes don't have it, that is all
the more reason to demand it.

you don't say where you are from, in my state CT the local NOFA has an
annual sale you can also try peaceful valley if you are in CA
www.groworganic.com or Fedco seeds in ME www.fedcoseeds.com should have it.

Old 19-08-2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:43:14 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:
"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote
"Marie Dodge" wrote:
Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite?
What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to
sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120

It was more balanced than any of the others.

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous
sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is
relatively cheap, and effective.

Where do you get it? I've not seen or heard about it here in central TN. Who
carries it?

I think you would have to go to a nursery, not a big box store to get
it. I got it for years from a local organic nursery; but when they
retired, I was still able to get it from a more traditional nursery. I
would just call a few nurseries or plant stores near where you live
and ask if they carry it.

I really miss my organic nursery, they were always willing to try and
get products that I'd read about on the web, or help me find a
suitable alternative. The biggest problem is finding potting soil
without any fertilizer in it, but that's a whine for another post.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 19-08-2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"polecanoe" wrote

http://www.fertrell.com/soil_amendments.html
http://www.fertrell.com/outlets.html
Old 19-08-2008, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:20:18 -0400, "polecanoe"
wrote:

i'm sure that any reputable garden center can and will get greensand for
you. if you local home depot walmart and lowes don't have it, that is all
the more reason to demand it.

Actually, as my nephew is fond of saying, that's not correct. Garden
centers generally have to order a set amount of a product, so they're
not going to order a pallet of greensand if they don't feel like
there's a market for it in their area. I've had a very, very
difficult time getting organic products since my favorite nursery
owners retired. I actually ordered 15 5 lb bags of my favorite organic
tomato and pepper fertilizer last year because none of the local
garden centers and nurseries would order it. I figure I got about a 4
or 5 year supply for my garden and my sister's. I had to call almost
every garden center and nursery in the yellow pages before I found one
that carried a good quality potting soil that has no fertilizer in it.

I was very interested in trying some of the Pro-Mix products, and we
even have a wholesale distributor locally; but I couldn't get any of
the nurseries to get some for me. The cost of shipping makes ordering
it on the web prohibitive.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 19-08-2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:05:09 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:47:35 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

Eco-nazi? That's insulting, dontca think?

Hit a little too close to home, did I?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 19-08-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120

It was more balanced than any of the others.

Eco-nazi frothing? So this is the fair and balanced report?

Let's start with the report itself. There is no opponent's voice
in the article there are just the proponents, Rob Morgan, Ironite's
executive vice president and chief operating officer, Dr. Eberhardt,
Ironite's consultant, and a few commentators.

The most telling quote came from David Shields, a geologist with
a Dallas engineering firm who has worked on lead cleanup projects,
said the key question for consumers is not which forms of lead or
arsenic are the most or least toxic. The EPA does not make that
distinction when it plans residential cleanups, he noted.

Instead, Mr. Shields said, the important question is whether
consumers can make an informed choice. "I'm not telling anyone
they shouldn't use any particular product," Mr. Shields said.
"But lead is lead is lead."

Then there are the Bio-Nazis at EPA
http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/lrpcd/wm/projects/135367.htm

Release of Heavy Metals from Ironite(R)

Ironite(R) is a common fertilizer made from mine tailings available at any
lawn and garden store. The presence of heavy metals in Ironite(R) has
resulted in its banning in Canada and lawsuits in the United States due
to the potential release of heavy metals, most notably arsenic and lead.
Bioavailable arsenic released from Ironite(R) is dependent on its
mineralogical form. Previous work sponsored by the producer of Ironite(R)
identified the arsenic bearing phase as arsenopyrite with the conclusion
that arsenic in that form does not pose an ecological threat. However, a
closer look with EXAFS has identified the arsenic phase within Ironite(R)
as scorodite-like. Scorodite is more soluble than arsenopyrite, in fact,
the dissolved arsenic released from scorodite can exceed the US drinking
water standard. In addition to the data collected at Argonne National
Labs in February 2005 that identified arsenate sorbed to iron oxides as
the dominant arsenic bearing phase, secondary identification techniques
are currently being used to confirm this finding such as
thermogravimetric analysis and Mossbauer spectroscopy.

Then there are the bio-Nazis over at Garden Web.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...029533485.html

Ironite, Ironate, or Green Sand

* Posted by jenny_in_se_pa USDA7 Sunset 32 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 9:12

I don't recall ever seeing Ironite (or similar iron-promoting products)
recommended for edibles outside of the ericaceous edibles like
blueberries, etc. Ie., these products have generally been targeted
towards ornamentals, and particularly acid-lovers including the
ornamental ericaceous shrubs (rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, camellias,
gardenias, etc). Chemically, iron is less available within the generic
pH ranges that many cultivated veggies grow in and those vegetables are
adapted differently anyway, without the need for the same types and
levels of micronutrients like iron, as the ericas.

For my blueberries, I have been using Hollytone to keep the soil acidic
and get the iron in that they need for the foliage. Greensand is
supposedly a good source of potassium and iron. The conglomerate of
elements that is targeted in greensand ("glauconite") is a
naturally-occuring (from old sea beds) substance that is mined. Back in
the day (and probably still in the current), many used to or still do
use wood ashes for potassium (potash), although in that form, it can
drive the alkalinity of the soil up. Iron was (and often still is) added
by sticking iron nails around the plants! Greensand is an ingredient in
some Epsoma products that coupled with something like ammonium sulfate,
will lower the surrounding pH enough to help make the iron ions
available when aqueous. The very reactive potassium doesn't need much
(mainly water will do) to make it available.
---------

Utilizing recycled industrial waste products is good stewardship if the
efficacy and safety of such recycling process and final product can be
substantiated and that such standards are being monitored and regulated
periodically. There just seems no reason to financially support for the
use of a product or take on take such risk environmentally or personally
when we do not know that the benefits exceed the costs with some
certainty, especially when better alternatives exist.
-------

Then there is
http://www.envirolaw.org/cases/poisonbg.html

Food Crops that Absorb Contaminants Detected in Fertilizers

Toxin Vulnerable Crops Health Effects of Contaminant
Arsenic Carrots, onions, Carcinogenic
potatoes, other
root crops

Cadmium Lettuce, corn, Kidney disease, carcinogenic, birth
wheat defects, diminished fertility

Lead Fruits and grains Seizures, mental retardation,
behavioral disorders

Dioxin Zucchini, pumpkin, Carcinogenic, diminished fertility,
cucumber birth defects, immune system dysfunction

SOURCES: Agency for Toxic Substances Disease Registry, U.S. Public
Health Service, Environmental Protection Agency. Environment
International Agency for Research on Cancer and Environmental Health
Perspectives.

My question to you Penelope is how much lead, arsenic, and cadmium do
you have to ingest to improve your health?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 19-08-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120

It was more balanced than any of the others.

Whoops, I forgot our eco-nazi friends over at Rutgars University.
http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf

While the great majority of commercial fertilizer
products are generally regarded as safe and free of
harmful levels of heavy metal contamination a limited
number of products of concern have been identified in
the garden center and fertilizer dealer market place.
An example of a product of concern that is widely
available in the home garden fertilizer market is
Ironite. A recent study found that Ironite contains up
to 3600 mg/kg As and 2900 mg/kg Pb and that
solubility testing indicates that the product should be
classified as a hazardous waste. On August 15, 2005,
the New Jersey Department of Agriculture issued a
³stop sale² on Ironite 100,
but other Ironite products
remain on the market.
A limited survey of commercial products obtained
from fertilizer dealers in New Jersey, conducted by
Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension,
identified one zinc product of concern that contained
83 mg/kg Cd (Table 2). Also analysis of a commercial
liming material found a Ni concentration of 194
mg/kg. New Jersey state officials, garden centers and
fertilizer dealers are being informed about these
suspect products.
In New Jersey, commercial fertilizer products are
regulated for guaranteed nutrient concentration by the
New Jersey Department of Agriculture (NJDA).
Although concentrations of nonnutrient
substances in
fertilizers and liming materials are not currently
regulated, the NJDA will, on request from the public,
test product samples for some heavy metals of
concern. When a farmer, gardener, or fertilizer dealer
has concerns about the guaranteed nutrient
concentration in a fertilizer, quality of a liming
material, or possible contamination of a product with
heavy metals, the product in question may be sampled
and tested by the NJDA, P.O. Box 330, Trenton, NJ
08625. Phone: 6099842222.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 19-08-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:20:06 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Jangchub wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

Eco-nazi? That's insulting, dontca think?

Hit a little too close to home, did I?

No, not at all. It is a bit odd to compare someone who is an organic
gardener who doesn't kill to Nazi's who spent day and night murdering,
raping and torturing people. I think you are a bit off base. It
takes more than that to ruffle my feathers, dear. I'm not some fancy
housewife in Texas. I was raised in Brooklyn NY and don't get insulted
too easily. Your comment said more about you that it will ever say
about me. You insulted people who were murdered, not me.

Heh, yeah, your words fair ooze unperturbedness and undefensiveness.

I am, like, all chastised and stuff.

No, really.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 19-08-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:40:45 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Eco-nazi frothing?

Speaking of...

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

[IMG] code is On

Ironite Questions? Marie Dodge Edible Gardening 225 11-09-2008 05:10 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 05:26 AM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 03:03 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 09-12-2003 11:03 PM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM