Old 21-08-2008, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Default Are common house ants cannibals?

Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?
Old 21-08-2008, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Aug 21, 9:01 am, Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?

In my experience they are cannibals. I have seen them eat horn worms,
crickets and a snake. Let me say for the record all of these were
Outside, not inside.

MJ
Old 21-08-2008, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?

Sure, they'll eat any old dead bug.

Stop spraying and get some ant traps with the poison they take back to
their nests, and put down some boric acid powder such as Terro
http://www.terro.com/antdust.php . It's the best way to control them.

Old 21-08-2008, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last
night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used
vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage
new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had
taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to
have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough,
yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying
away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling
entice them to cannibalism?

They were carrying off their fallen comrades in order to give them a proper
burial and memorial service. No flowers please...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old 21-08-2008, 09:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

dadiOH wrote:
They were carrying off their fallen comrades in order to give them a proper
burial and memorial service. No flowers please...

I was sorry I didn't get see the obituary announcement. Is there a
memorial established somewhere for contributions?

Old 22-08-2008, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Donita Luddington wrote in
:

Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last
night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used
vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage
new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had
taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to
have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough,
yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying
away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling
entice them to cannibalism?

Something to be learned here? Maybe ants marinated with vinegar taste good?
Old 22-08-2008, 07:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc
z z is offline

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?

sure. E.O. Wilson, the Harvard bug expert, said that if ants ever
discovered the nuclear bomb, they would end all life on earth.
Old 22-08-2008, 01:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?

dont be silly, if they were there wouldn't be but 1 left, henry
Old 23-08-2008, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last
night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used
vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage
new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had
taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to
have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough,
yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying
away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling
entice them to cannibalism?

Your ants are either omnivores or carried away the bodies of their loved
ones for proper Christian burials.

I say this because cremation is probably not an option for an ant.

Old 24-08-2008, 03:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:49:31 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling
entice them to cannibalism?

Your ants are either omnivores or carried away the bodies of their loved
ones for proper Christian burials.

I say this because cremation is probably not an option for an ant.

I don't know about most ants, but in the tropics, like Costa Rica,
there are leaf-cutter ants, that cut little crescents out of leaves,
bring the pieces back to the hill and feed them to the fungus that
they cultivate. As the fungus grows, they eat some of it, take the
waste out of the hill and pile it outside. Amazingly complicated I
think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant

Old 25-08-2008, 06:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Aug 21, 4:21 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last
night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used
vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage
new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had
taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to
have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough,
yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying
away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling
entice them to cannibalism?

They were carrying off their fallen comrades in order to give them a proper
burial and memorial service.

To the fabled Ants' Graveyard.

No flowers please...

They're jewish?
Old 25-08-2008, 09:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Father Haskell wrote:
On Aug 21, 4:21 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Donita Luddington wrote:
[...]

Only those who are circumcised.

--
Dave

Old 25-08-2008, 12:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Father Haskell wrote:
On Aug 21, 4:21 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Donita Luddington wrote:
[...]

No, they'd just prefer donations to the UAAVF (United Ants Against Vinegar
Fund).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old 26-08-2008, 02:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Aug 23, 3:49 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Donita Luddington wrote:
[...]

It is for an eight year old child with a magnifying glass.
Old 26-08-2008, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Well not in Costa Rica but at my country house in Greece, a colony was found
inside my vegetable garden. Nothing wrong with that. Over the days, I have
lost a few cucumber plants and I didn't know why, when I saw them. Hundreds
of them climbing on the plant, cutting small pieces off the leaf and leaving
at the end only the stem. I am not sure if they actually ate the small green
piece of leaf each one carried, or whether it was a protection mechanism
against the roots of the plant that probably entered their tunnels in their
nest. I have never seen an ant cutting or eating leaves before and it wasn't
a special kind of ants in any way.
The plant was attacked suddendly and it all ended up within a day.
Afterwards they resumed their normal behaviour and suddendly a few days
later, they would attack a new plant... Some plants that were planted a bit
further from their nest were never attacked.
Has anyone observed such a behavior? Could it be assiociated with the
irrigation and flooding of their nests when I was watering the plants?

A picture of what was left after an attack can be seen he
http://imageshack.gr/view.php?file=l...ayusnez5y5.jpg

wrote:

I don't know about most ants, but in the tropics, like Costa Rica,
there are leaf-cutter ants, that cut little crescents out of leaves,
bring the pieces back to the hill and feed them to the fungus that
they cultivate. As the fungus grows, they eat some of it, take the
waste out of the hill and pile it outside. Amazingly complicated I
think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant

[IMG] code is On

How common is Common Bistort? PeterGreenMan United Kingdom 10 25-05-2009 08:51 PM
ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
cannibals?? *muffin* Ponds 3 02-10-2003 12:32 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM