GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Palin and environment (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/178396-palin-environment.html)

symplastless 05-09-2008 02:45 AM

Palin and environment

Please help me make a decision.

Palin is John McCain's running mate.

1. Specifically, what has she done for the environment? What?

2. Specifically, what is she going to do for the environment if elected?
Give me a specific thing she is going to do to improve the quality of the
environment.

Does she know the problems associated with drilling? E.g., look at problems
in Pennsylvania with drilling oil and gas.
http://www.alleghenydefense.org/

To say they are going to drill in an environmentally way, specifically what
would be different than what they are doing in the Allegheny national
Forest?

Are they going to change in Pennsylvania for the environment?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Dioclese 05-09-2008 10:35 AM

Palin and environment

"symplastless" wrote in message
[...]

Last I looked, their intent now is not to drill on land-based
environmentally sensitive areas. That is coming from the Senate
republicans. The Dems, senate and house, in general, are still in a no
off-shore drill mode, period. The Vice president plays a part in the
senate, not the house. All legislation begins at the house. Legislation is
law of the land.

The President is expected to execute those laws under his/her executive
branch. Some laws are not effectively executed due to personnel and monies
constraints. Some are simply ignored.

All the dubious changes of heart by both parties, and, their respective
nominees for president and v.p. live me wondering what any of actually
think. Let alone, what they will do in actuality if elected. Nevermind
their past record.
--
Dave

Frank 05-09-2008 01:05 PM

Palin and environment

Who cares? If they need to drill for oil on your front lawn, I say,
"Go for it."

Chris[_14_] 05-09-2008 03:33 PM

Palin and environment

On Sep 5, 5:35 am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
[...]

Not exactly correct. All _tax_ legislation begins in the House. Any
other kind of legislation can begin in either chamber.

Chris

Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] 05-09-2008 04:12 PM

Palin and environment

Frank wrote:

Who cares? If they need to drill for oil on
your front lawn, I say, "Go for it."

Funny you should mention that.

One of, if not THE only, undrilled salt domes in
the Gulf Coast Tertiary is in George Bush Sr.
"back yard". It is in Memorial Park in Houston,
Texas.

Oil explorationists have lusted for drilling here
for decades but so far they have not been allowed
to do so. Hey, George Sr. could come out for
breakfast every morning with his cup of coffee
and monitor the situation :-).

All the salt domes in the Gulf Coast Tertiary
produced structures that have trapped large
amounts of oil and gas. They were one of the
very early exploration targets since they can be
located very easily using relatively inexpensive
gravity data.

Another "Back Yard" is the Gulf Coast offshore of
Florida. Ex-Governor Jeb could monitor this
drilling. IF there are substantial amounts of
OIL instead of GAS to be found in the area it is
the Gulf Side of Florida. It is the extension of
the Jurassic Smackover trend which has been
drilled onshore Florida with fields such as Jay
field being found and produced.

I doubt seriously if those living in places like
Tampa, Ft Myers or Naples are going to look
favorably about the prospects of looking out the
window of their millions of dollars condos and
see offshore drilling and production platforms.

paghat[_2_] 05-09-2008 07:09 PM

Palin and environment

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

The Palin choice is McCain saying he doesn't want the job. If they
win, I will be certain the voting machines are rigged up. There is no
f-ing way those two dimwits should win. She has done nothing. She's
Commando Barbie. I can't stand either of them. And what the hell is
clean coal. No such a thing.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

I liked McCain's promise to stand beside us but not to get in our way of
making our own success. Sounded like he intended to stand beside the
suffering & watch 'em suffer, but don't expect him to help. And refusing
to stand in front is refusing to lead. After all, when asked to define the
middle class, he said "Five million dollars a year." What he knows about
this country's conditions and needs wouldn't fill a spice rack in even one
of his seven mansions. As for "commando barbie" (liked that!) if voters
really want something like that a heartbeat from the presidency, then what
a shame the devisiveness in this nation runs that deep, that it's enough
to scream "no feminists allowed! get out your guns!" and that's the only
thing conservatives need to hear, rationality being disavowed.

-paggers
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Bill[_13_] 05-09-2008 07:34 PM

Palin and environment

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:09:08 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

[...]

We are so ****ing doomed. I said that the last general election. I
think it is now, though unimaginably worse than it was! I continue to
depend on reality by watching the "fake" news on the Daily Show and my
man crush, Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. It helps me sleep.

Don't get me into that insane maniac Lieberman. Are we in the
twilight zone? I am having a very hard time suspending disbelief.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

I am reminded of the adage we get what we deserve. Chinese philosophy
comes to mind.

We must have strong families so the communities can be strong. The
communities foster the states and the states foster the country. Of
course the individual make up the family so ......

Bill TS bringing some much needed rain tomorrow. Tired of carry
buckets around to new plants.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

D. Staples 05-09-2008 10:55 PM

Palin and environment

symplastless wrote:
Please help me make a decision.

Palin is John McCain's running mate.

1. Specifically, what has she done for the environment? What?

2. Specifically, what is she going to do for the environment if elected?
Give me a specific thing she is going to do to improve the quality of the
environment.

Does she know the problems associated with drilling? E.g., look at problems
in Pennsylvania with drilling oil and gas.
http://www.alleghenydefense.org/

To say they are going to drill in an environmentally way, specifically what
would be different than what they are doing in the Allegheny national
Forest?

Are they going to change in Pennsylvania for the environment?

Two empty suit democrats that have absolutely no history of leadership,
in any capacity, have been left wing democrats only equaled by the drunk
Kennedy.

Anything is better.

Zootal[_3_] 06-09-2008 12:36 AM

Palin and environment

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
symplastless wrote:
[...]

We should outlaw all technology because it all pollutes and damages the
enviornment. We should live in caves. We can't build houses of wood because
we kill trees to make the wood. We can't live in tents - where are we going
to get the material to make the tent? Heaven forbid we should kill an animal
and use it's skin. Synthetic fabrics are out of the question. We can't grow
cotton, that displaces other natural vegetation that was there first. We
can't harvest plants, that disturbs the purple spotted field mouse, and we
have no right to disturb its habitat.

For that matter, we should just kill ourselves now. Humans are destroying
the environment, and if continue to exist we will cause massive global
warming that will kill all life on the planet, and then plunge us into a
five billion year ice age. So let's just kill ourselves now and leave mother
earth alone.

All true environmentalists should kill themselves now because their
existence is damaging mother earth.

Dioclese 06-09-2008 01:12 AM

Palin and environment

"Zootal" wrote in message

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
symplastless wrote:
[...]

We should, we kill, ad nauseaum. You deny specific responsibility to giving
same to everyone (we). Political trickery, and shaming all to accept guilt.
Not acceptable.

Brass tacks. The core to most of current problems is twofold. 1st is
overpopulation of the earth, the 2nd is the dependency of the economic
system on more of everything involved in that system. Including, more
people (consumers). That is neither political party-seeking, or, finger
pointing at any particular group of whatever. When people in general face
that (and their means of making of living are not at risk ad nauseam some
more), there may be change for the better. Otherwise, SSDD.

There is nothing wrong with the existence and nature of homo sapiens. There
is something wrong with the ways that current homo sapiens has adapted to
deny his/her correlation with nature.

People in general can continue to sideline, most news corporations motis
operandi, to pointing at insignificant problems that have no real bearing.
Or, see the world as it actually is... But, you know the reality of that.
SSDD.

Am not an Al Gore fan by any means. But, he's the only politictian that's
come closest to flashing a light on the actual source of majority our planet
problems.

Look at the big picture and then spread out, not the reverse.
--
Dave

symplastless 06-09-2008 08:08 PM

Palin and environment

"Zootal" wrote in message

All true environmentalists should kill themselves now because their
existence is damaging mother earth.

Actually not. However changes in making decisions regarding forest health
and national forest would be a good start. Rather than making decisions out
of the ignorance of tree biology based solely on board foot, taking a
systematic approach based on a thorough understanding of tree biology. Some
of the problem is people who have no understanding of tree biology not
understanding the importance of the latter. We should separate the forest
from the tree farms. Suicide is not an answer for ignorance.

Forest researchers should be providing sound information to practicing
foresters that make decisions based on an understanding of the ecological
stages of trees and their associates. Again, people that do not understand
the role the different ecological stages of trees play in system health
should step back and allow educated people to make sound decisions. I am
sure there are other reasonable solutions for other problems with the
environment. I comment on trees and their associates because that is my
area of professionalism. Again, change and not suicide are solutions.

Obama score card with LCV. Just one way of looking at it. 67%
http://capwiz.com/lcv_stage/dbq/vote...& submit.y=13

Joe Biden 67%
http://capwiz.com/lcv_stage/dbq/vote...lts&last=biden

John McCain A big 0%
http://capwiz.com/lcv_stage/dbq/vote...ts&last=mccain

The republicans have a score card he
http://www.rep.org/2007_scorecard.pdf

symplastless 06-09-2008 08:12 PM

Palin and environment

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:36:24 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

We should outlaw all technology because it all pollutes and damages the
enviornment. We should live in caves. We can't build houses of wood
because
we kill trees to make the wood.

Legalize hemp for products.

Georges first flag was made of hemp.
Ben's kite string was hemp
constitution was on hemp I believe.

Hemp would help economy, create jobs, reduce taking on forest, provide high
quality products.

Their are solutions that we can LIVE with!

Frank 06-09-2008 11:18 PM

Palin and environment

Jangchub wrote:

wrote:

We should outlaw all technology because it all pollutes and damages the
enviornment. We should live in caves. We can't build houses of wood
because
we kill trees to make the wood.

Legalize hemp for products.

Georges first flag was made of hemp.
Ben's kite string was hemp
constitution was on hemp I believe.

Hemp would help economy, create jobs, reduce taking on forest, provide high
quality products.

Their are solutions that we can LIVE with!

Please learn how to edit. I didn't say what you have me quoted as
saying.

I think we should legalize all drugs of all kinds including heroine
and cocaine and meth and speed and crack and hillbilly heroine. It
would take the puff out of it and the government can pay for ten
countries health care including our own with that money they'd earn
from tax. What a stupid country this is.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

Think you're both on hemp ;(

symplastless 07-09-2008 01:21 AM

Palin and environment

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:12:02 -0400, "symplastless"

Please learn how to edit. I didn't say what you have me quoted as
saying.

I think we should legalize all drugs of all kinds including heroine
and cocaine and meth and speed and crack and hillbilly heroine. It
would take the puff out of it and the government can pay for ten
countries health care including our own with that money they'd earn
from tax. What a stupid country this is.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

I do not. Hemp is not to be compared with what you suggest doing. PA
farmers could grow and earn from hemp. New Holland would design better
equipment, more jobs and in 10 years of legalization it would help economy.
Or so they say. I do not support legalizing what you suggest. In fact I
would oppose it.

Zootal[_3_] 07-09-2008 02:19 AM

Palin and environment

[...]

I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug themselves to death. It
will clean up the gene pool. The quality and realibility of the drugs will
stabalize, and much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.