Old 07-09-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brussell Sprouts with no Sprouts!

I have been growing Jade Cross Brussell sprouts for years and have
always had great crops. This year, however, the plants are big and
beautiful as always but not a sprout to be found! I didn't do
anything different that I know of. What happened? Anybody else ever
have this problem?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have huge beautiful plants with little tiny nubs for sprouts. They did
this last year, and it wasn't until late October or November or so that they
actually grew. I ate b.sprouts all winter long. In February I was picking
big fat sprouts off of the plants, those that survived the snow and ice
(which was most of them).

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

I have been growing Jade Cross Brussell sprouts for years and have
always had great crops. *This year, however, the plants are big and
beautiful as always but not a sprout to be found! *I didn't do
anything different that I know of. *What happened? *Anybody else ever
have this problem?- Hide quoted text -

I can hardly believe that! I'm in northern Wisconsin and my plants
will just plain freeze to death before then! I sure would like to
know what the deal is though. This has never happened before.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in

oups.com:

I can hardly believe that! I'm in northern Wisconsin and
my plants will just plain freeze to death before then! I
sure would like to know what the deal is though. This has
never happened before.

have you tried topping them? cut off the tops. that sometimes
forces them to make sprouts.
if it was too cool they may not make sprouts. if it's too hot
they don't make sprouts either, until it starts cooling down
at night.
i've had years where they didn't start forming sprouts until
September, but i had nice fat sprouts by Thanksgiving, even
after a couple freezes. i'm in NH. i also just leave them on
the plants all winter & harvest as needed. freezing makes them
sweeter.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 7, 3:22*pm, enigma wrote:
" wrote
oups.com:

[...]

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 7, 4:51*pm, HawaiianEye wrote:
wrote:
I have been growing Jade Cross Brussell sprouts for years and have
always had great crops. *This year, however, the plants are big and
beautiful as always but not a sprout to be found! *I didn't do
anything different that I know of. *What happened? *Anybody else ever
have this problem?

Try cutting them back a bit. That's worked for me.

I will try that. Thanks.

[IMG] code is On

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
pepper sprouts brian Edible Gardening 2 02-03-2003 11:39 AM
Red Brussels Sprouts and others Jerome R. Long Edible Gardening 5 24-02-2003 06:04 PM
Why No Sprouts Eric United Kingdom 1 12-01-2003 03:32 PM