Old 14-09-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the self life of grass seeds (sealed bag)

I have 1 year old grass seeds in a sealed bag. are they still good?
tx
Old 15-09-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:54:29 -0700 (PDT), lbbss
wrote:

I have 1 year old grass seeds in a sealed bag. are they still good?
tx

Probably. Count 20 seeds onto paper towels on a plate, dampen and
cover with another plate. After 5 days calculate the germination
percentage. Anything above 70% is good. Store unused grass seed in a
cool dry place for best results, but germination can drop off after a
few years.
Old 15-09-2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

lbbss wrote:
I have 1 year old grass seeds in a sealed bag. �
are they still good?

After a year the germination rate has certainly deteriorated, how much
depends a lot on how they were stored, at what temperature. Generally
the cooler the storage temperature the longer the shelf life and the
higher the germanation rate. Also depends on what type of seeds and
which brand. What size bag are you talking... if a small amount like
5-10 pounds it hardly pays to save them unless you know you will be
using them within the next few months. Were I not going to use them
I'd give them to someone who will rather than let them just rot.
Old 15-09-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:54:29 -0700 (PDT), lbbss wrote:
I have 1 year old grass seeds in a sealed bag. are they still good?

If they were stored cool and dry, most likely. If they were stored in warm
to hot conditions, particularly with high humidity, unlikely.

Old 15-09-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 15 Sep 2008 02:42:05 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:54:29 -0700 (PDT), lbbss wrote:
I have 1 year old grass seeds in a sealed bag. are they still good?

If they were stored cool and dry, most likely. If they were stored in warm
to hot conditions, particularly with high humidity, unlikely.

I have no trouble using up grass seed that is stored in a garage in
northern NJ after even 3, 4 or more years. Germination rates may be a
bit lower, but grass seeds are pretty hardy.

I have vegetable and flower seeds that are over 10 years old that I
use bits of each season. Granted, those are stored under better
conditions...in plastic bags or their original paper envelopes in a
closet in my den.

Boron

[IMG] code is On

McCulloch Motor Mower-Self Propelled; how to adapt so grass bag canbe changed without stopping engine Gel United Kingdom 16 26-10-2009 04:01 PM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
sealed hydrostatic transmission failing JerryO Lawns 0 30-06-2003 10:20 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM