Old 20-09-2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hot pepper/burning mouth question

I attempted to demonstrate my advanced (or lack of) intelligence today....

I am growing some peppers. Actually, I have about 45 pepper plants, but
about 10 of them are these long green peppers. I think they turn red, then
you dry them and make ground up hot pepper for aisan cooking. This one was
green, maybe six inches long, and maybe 3/4 inch around at the base. I chop
it up. I put a very small piece, like 1/2 the size of a pea, in my mouth. I
immediately experience severe burning...my eyes cross, I can't see, my mouth
is on fire, I stick my head in the sink and pray for death....this was not
jalapeno ow ow hot gimme more, this was 911 take me to the hospital burning.

So, I rinse mouth, smear it over my face, and my face still burns....

So, my question...is it normal for hot peppers like this to do this? I've
eaten serrano and jalapeno peppers before, raw in salsa, but I've never run
across something this severe.

Old 20-09-2008, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:34:55 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

[...]

sounds like you got a good one. Oil relieves the burning, greasy
food, milk, that sort of thing. Water doesn't.
Old 20-09-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

sounds like you got a good one. Oil relieves the burning, greasy
food, milk, that sort of thing. Water doesn't.

Water spreads it over my face quite nicely

I put it in a cast iron pan, fried it in sesame oil, added a couple of
tomatoes and tomatillos, and it's simmering right now. Curious as to what it
will be like when it's cooked for a while...

Old 20-09-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in
:

So, my question...is it normal for hot peppers like this to
do this? I've eaten serrano and jalapeno peppers before,
raw in salsa, but I've never run across something this
severe.

for Asian hot peppers, yes.
next time don't drink water! either drink milk (whole) or eat
a slice of bread. water spreads the burn. milk/bread will
reduce it.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 20-09-2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal the TROLL" wrote:

[...]

It's so very easy to relieve the burning in your mouth and on your
face... simply rub a good sized chunk of that same pepper all over
your crotch, rub it in real good and don't miss your anus. After
rubbing shove the chunk of pepper as far up your vagina as you can. I
guarantee you won't feel your mouth and face burning anymore, TROLL!

Old 20-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

It's so very easy to relieve the burning in your mouth and on your

snip stunning example of intelligence

You know what your problem is, Sheldon? When your mama dropped you on your
head, she didn't drop you hard enough, and you survived. Now go crawl back
under the rock you came out from and don't contaminate this ng anymore.

Old 21-09-2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Very entertaining description, thank you! And yes, it's normal if you
have the hot varieties. I'd use the milk method, which also includes ice
cream, cream, sour cream, but if you get a really hot one even that
won't work. I have a friend, she still hasn't lived it down, boast of
being able to eat jalapenos and grabbed a whole habanero before I could
stop her.... she did actually blister on the top of her mouth and her
tongue. Still makes me chuckle. She a little less boastful and will
listen a little more carefully these days. She actually managed to
swallow it! I think it was a lesson that lasted for a day or two!

jules

Old 21-09-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well, I feel better now...and a bit stupid. Last year my long green chilis
were mild and quite edible, and I thought I was growing the same thing this
year. This year they are outright dangerous. Holy Moly....I have about 100
of them on the plants, and I"ll be drying them and grinding them for some
dried pepper goodness :-)

I feel for your friend...that stuff is downright nasty. I made the mistake
of wiping my mouth, and I ended up spreading it all over my face, and it
burned for hours :P

Old 22-09-2008, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

I think you need a chilli cookbook. Don't just dry, make hot chilli
sauces too and give them to your friends with appropriate warnings. Also
try smoking them, red or green. You can probably do it on a bbq. I've
never done this but is is possible to buy smoked dried chillis in some
places.

bye

Old 22-09-2008, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

[...]

The first time I wore contacts I made refried beans with lots of
jalapenos. I ws only supposed to have the contacts in for 4 hours but
they stayed in a lot longer than that!
Old 25-09-2008, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
[...]

I see where some have recommended milk to calm the burning...around
these parts it is common knowledge that tomatoes work the best to cool a
burning mouth or lips after a particularly hot pepper. Not saying that
the milk won't work mind you...just most folks around here all say that
the tomatoes work quicker. Perhaps that is why you didn't notice the
heat from the other peppers the salsas? Personally, I've not tried the
milk after a severely hot pepper, so I can't say from experience with
that, but I have used the tomatoes/ketchup, etc after a hot pepper.
Works for me anyway, so I figured I'd pass the info on...

~Rae
Old 25-09-2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

I see where some have recommended milk to calm the burning...around
these parts it is common knowledge that tomatoes work the best to cool a
burning mouth or lips after a particularly hot pepper. Not saying that the
milk won't work mind you...just most folks around here all say that the
tomatoes work quicker. Perhaps that is why you didn't notice the heat from
the other peppers the salsas? Personally, I've not tried the milk after a
severely hot pepper, so I can't say from experience with that, but I have
used the tomatoes/ketchup, etc after a hot pepper. Works for me anyway, so
I figured I'd pass the info on...

~Rae

Huh - I did not know that. I have about 100 tomatoes in bowls on my kitchen
floor...tomatoes everywhere. I don't think I'll experiment with this
particular pepper anymore as the results were rather painful . But I might
play with my jalapenos as they are not quite as deadly.

Old 26-09-2008, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 19, 9:34*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
[...]

Lemon juice is a fabulous relief for burning from peppers. I
accidentally smoked a piece of the hottest pepper in the world & I
thought I was on fire from the inside out... it was awful! Lemon juice
was the one thing that just killed it enough so I could at least
breathe then continued to help lol.

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 12:38 PM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 08:32 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 04:23 PM
hot pepper question Bobbett Edible Gardening 4 23-08-2003 04:12 AM