GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dividing perennials (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/178787-dividing-perennials.html)

Artful Dodger 22-09-2008 09:07 PM

Dividing perennials

Just wanted to share a way kewl Web site that has full explanations
of dividing perennials according to root type.

Site has good videos to illustrate explanations.

http://tinyurl.com/4ay63p

If anybody happens to go there, I have a Q.

The "divide according to woody roots" section includes Lavender.

But when I went to the section about in which season to
divide, it included Lavender among the "advise not to
divide".

Your wisdom? This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

David E. Ross 23-09-2008 01:09 AM

Dividing perennials

On 9/22/2008 1:07 PM, Artful Dodger wrote:
Just wanted to share a way kewl Web site that has full explanations
of dividing perennials according to root type.

Site has good videos to illustrate explanations.

http://tinyurl.com/4ay63p

If anybody happens to go there, I have a Q.

The "divide according to woody roots" section includes Lavender.

But when I went to the section about in which season to
divide, it included Lavender among the "advise not to
divide".

Your wisdom? This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

Lavender is more a shrub or subshrub than a perennial. Thus, you should
not attempt to divide it. Unlike many other woody plants, however,
cuttings should root readily.

Lavender is relatively short-lived compared with other woody plants.
Cuttings are indeed a good way to replace an old plant.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean