Old 17-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Zemedelec

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

Not to mention....will bat guano be a problem?
zemedelec
Old 17-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Zemedelec

Actually I love to watch bats, but I think we have enought derelict buildings
in New Orleans for them!
zemedelec
Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
mypet

You know the guano thing really had me puzzled when I saw the
suggestion to hang the bat box on the side of a house? I think I want
to put it in an area that I won't have to shovel bat poop.
DH is less than thrilled about my bat research and has been doing some
checking on his own and came up with a post that stated hummingbirds
did away with alot mosquitoes by feeding them to their young. Has
anybody here come across statistics on the number of mosquitoes a bat
would eat in comparison to hummingbirds, swifts, dragonflies, etc.? I
can tell I'm going to have to do a hard sell for him to help me put up
the houses.

Old 18-03-2003, 03:20 AM
animaux

Go to www.batcon.org

Here is what they say about how much a bat eats:

"What do bats eat?"

"There are nearly 1,000 different species of bats in the world, living on every
continent except Antarctica. Each one has developed special adaptations for how it
lives and what it eats. For example, 70% of all the bats in the world eat insects and
many of them use echolocation in order to find food and move around in the dark. Many
small insectivorous bats can eat up to 2,000 mosquito-sized insect in one night.
These bats are able to eat so much because they have high metabolism and expend lots
of energy in flight. Frugivorous bats living in tropical climates have very good
eyesight and sense of smell for finding ripe fruit to eat. In the desert, there are
nectar-feeding bats which have long noses and tongues for harvesting nectar from
flowers, as well as special enzymes for digesting the high-protein pollen that
accumulates on their faces. Carnivorous bats have sharp claws and teeth for catching
small vertebrates such as fish, frogs, birds, or rodents. A few Latin American bats,
the vampires, eat only blood."

There is a whole lot more information to dispell the many ignorant myths surrounding
these magnificent creatures. They are NOT flying vermin, as many people think. If
it weren't for them, many of the fruits and other plants we eat would not exist any
more.

victoria

Old 18-03-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:48:56 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

Bats DO NOT eat many mosquitos,if any. Mossies are way too small
for a bat to bother with. Bats eat mostly moths and other
"bite-sized" insects. They will eat those big flying
cockroaches, and they also hunt the treetops for cicadas and
caterpillars.

Not true for all bats. Mexican free tail or brown bats are the size of my thumb and
certainly do eat their fair share of mosquitoes. Hummingbirds eat nectar and small
spiders, an occasional flying insect.

Hummingbirds will nab tiny flying insects like whiteflies, so
mosquitos are probably eaten.

Tsu

Where do you get this information from? I'd like to take a look at it.

Otherwise, I refer people to Bat Conservation at www.batcon.org who indeed do know
what they are talking about, have done much research and are on top of bat culture,
so to speak.
Old 18-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:48:56 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh
wrote:

snip

Bats DO NOT eat many mosquitos,if any. Mossies are way too small
for a bat to bother with. Bats eat mostly moths and other
"bite-sized" insects. They will eat those big flying
cockroaches, and they also hunt the treetops for cicadas and
caterpillars.

Hummingbirds will nab tiny flying insects like whiteflies, so
mosquitos are probably eaten.

Tsu

Bats do eat mosquitoes. There is a delicacy called "Mosquito eye
soup." The procedure involves putting bat guano in water and the
mosquito eyes float to the top and are skimmed off to add to the soup.
The eyes do not digest well in bats.
Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
mypet

Where in the world is mosquito eye soup a delicacy? It doesn't really
sound that tasty, but then I wouldn't think anything really would that
was dug out of ....well....you know.

So, if bats don't eat that many skeeters. What IS the best mosquito
anhililator? Let's see we've got purple martins, swifts, hummingirds,
dragonflies, bats...how does each one rate?

Old 01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jan Flora

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:39:45 -0900,
(Jan Flora) wrote:

In article ,
(mypet) wrote:

Where in the world is mosquito eye soup a delicacy? It doesn't really
sound that tasty, but then I wouldn't think anything really would that
was dug out of ....well....you know.

So, if bats don't eat that many skeeters. What IS the best mosquito
anhililator? Let's see we've got purple martins, swifts, hummingirds,
dragonflies, bats...how does each one rate?

Swallows are tops. If you have them in your area, build lots of swallow
nest boxes. You can find the spec's online.

Jan in Alaska
zone 3

Swallow nest boxes? Don't they build mud nests under the eaves of

houses? It's
a misnomer that they eat mosquitoes. They eat mostly fat juicy moths.

There are several types of swallows. One type nests under bridges, under the
eaves of the house, etc. in mud houses that they build. Another type digs
nest holes in mud banks. The barn swallow nest in barns and other farm
buildings.

Up here we have the "Violet-green swallow" and the "tree swallow" (among
several other types) that nest in hollow trees, fenceposts, barn eaves and
will happily move into nest boxes. I watch them eat mosquitos every morning
and evening. (My front yard is a 7 acre lake, so we have a healthy mossie
population. We don't have many moths here.)

I didn't realize that purple martins are in the swallow family. Just found
them in the bird book, tucked right in among the swallows.

The reason why so many birds migrate to the far north to rear their young
is because of the tremendous protein base here -- mosquitos.

Jan