Old 26-09-2008, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Can you identify this fruit/bush for me please?

I have this fuity bushy thing in my garden that was there when I
bought the house and I have no idea what it is.

Here are some pics:

http://img193.imagevenue.com/img.php...7_122_88lo.JPG
http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_909lo.JPG
http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1114lo.JPG
http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_958lo.JPG
http://img13.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_793lo.JPG

The fruits look really appetising now that they seem to be ripening to
an orange colour. They go through a lemon yellow stage before they
become orange and I don't know (yet) if they will change to another
colour.

Any ideas?

Old 26-09-2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:
| wrote in message
|
| I have this fuity bushy thing in my garden that was there when I
| bought the house and I have no idea what it is.
|
| Passion Flower

Specifically, Passiflora caerulea. The fruits are edible when ripe,
just like the ones you can buy in the shops, but are best described
as insipid. They have a slight passion fruit flavour, but not much.
Still, they aren't unpleasant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2008, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

WOW!!

Talk about a rapid response!

Thanks very much. So I can eat them then, that's good to know. What
colour should they be when fully ripe?
Old 26-09-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
writes:
| WOW!!
|
| Talk about a rapid response!
|
| Thanks very much. So I can eat them then, that's good to know. What
| colour should they be when fully ripe?

Yellow to orange. They will also start to feel a bit softer.

Incidentally, the plant will get cut back by any frosts, and can be
cut back as hard as you like in winter or spring to keep it under
control.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-09-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:
wrote in message

I have this fuity bushy thing in my garden that was there when I
bought the house and I have no idea what it is.

Passion Flower

Specifically, Passiflora caerulea. The fruits are edible when ripe,
just like the ones you can buy in the shops, but are best described
as insipid. They have a slight passion fruit flavour, but not much.
Still, they aren't unpleasant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Surely you are only referring to the red pulp (and seeds). As far as I
remember, the skin is not very pleasant.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 26-09-2008, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

The message
from contains these words:

WOW!!

Talk about a rapid response!

Thanks very much. So I can eat them then, that's good to know. What
colour should they be when fully ripe?

Yellow.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-09-2008, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

I have this fuity bushy thing in my garden that was there when I
bought the house and I have no idea what it is.

Here are some pics:

http://img193.imagevenue.com/img.php...7_122_88lo.JPG
http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_909lo.JPG
http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1114lo.JPG
http://img106.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_958lo.JPG
http://img13.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_793lo.JPG

The fruits look really appetising now that they seem to be ripening to
an orange colour. They go through a lemon yellow stage before they
become orange and I don't know (yet) if they will change to another
colour.

Any ideas?

That's an easy on. ;-) Passion vine! Be careful, under-ripe fruit of
the wrong species tend to be mildly toxic.

There are many varieties.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 27-09-2008, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

WOW!!

Talk about a rapid response!

Thanks very much. So I can eat them then, that's good to know. What
colour should they be when fully ripe?

They're yellow when ripe, but the strains sold for gardes are almost
always hollow with just a tiny dollop of bright red pulp and loads of
black seeds. I pop them open and suck the seeds then spit out the seeds
while in the garden. It would take hundreds to have enough of the red pulp
to strain and can. There are species with plenty of pulp inside, but not
the purple passion flower. I like the flavor, but everyone else I've
convinced to try the red pulp didn't think much of it.

However, the yellow rind is a fair substitute for any "green tomatoes"
recipe, or mixed with green tomatoes or squashes or bell peppers, or mixed
into relish. The simplest thins is to slice up the rinds smallish, fry
with onion and green pepper in oil or butter, &amp added to scrambled
eggs. Or fry until partially browned in very hot oil with onion, bell
pepper, and wdhatever else you like, to make a relish that'll keep for
weeks in the frigerator and goes nicely with hotdogs (tofu hotdogs in my
case) or other sorts of sandwiches, even on grilled cheese.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 27-09-2008, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:44:15 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Pags, is Riverside Washington anywhere near you or does it have
similar climate?

Riverside is in Okanagan county, clear across a mountain range from me,
into rather dry areas with thin pine forests opening onto arid prairies
(in a rain-shadow caused by the Cascades). Really couldn't be any
different from my damp and deeply green waterbound county of Kitsap. More
like living on the Russian steppes. Good place to grow temperate ground
orchids, which do poorly my side of the mountain but love the prairie
weather patterns.

If property has any native Rhododendron albiflorum they should preserved
in-place, as they almost always die if transplanted. If I lived there I'd
have to completely relearn gardening, though I wouldn't mind the chance of
having a collection of ground orchids.

Might seem an odd place for a Mahayanan lama to have a home but almost
half the county is Asian people, which doesn't mean a lot of people, the
whole county must have only about 3,000 folks in it. And just over the
boarder in Canada is a Buddhist retreat.

-paggers

I want to use your website to make recommendations
for Lama Zopa Rinpoche's home in WA. Lot's of deer. He wants tons of
color. I looked it up on a zone map and it maps it at around zone 5.
I doubt you are that cold, so is this way north or inland or what?
Will the plants lists on your site apply also to Riverside? Any help
appreciated.

Deer, color, perennial, sounds cold!

Victoria

"There are known knowns. These are things we
know that we know. There are known unknowns.
That is to say, there are things that we know
we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns.
There are things we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/