Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default lawn spreaders

I have gone through three lawn spreaders in the last 18 years, all of
them Scotts. I can see the quality has greatly decresed in the
materials used. The plastic part that turns the seed/fertilizer broke
(in some better spreaders this part looks like a metal cotter pin).

I'd like recommendations for a good spreader for home owners. I have
just under one acre and use mostly walk-behind equipment. Prefer
something not to exceed $150 and something that corresponds to number
settings on most bagged products. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 4, 11:58*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have gone through three lawn spreaders in the last 18 years, all of
them Scotts. *I can see the quality has greatly decresed in the
materials used. *The plastic part that turns the seed/fertilizer broke
(in some better spreaders this part looks like a metal cotter pin). *

I'd like recommendations for a good spreader for home owners. *I have
just under one acre and use mostly walk-behind equipment. *Prefer
something not to exceed $150 and something that corresponds to number
settings on most bagged products. *Thanks.

Have you looked into Spyker Spreaders
www.spyker.com
I have never used their products because I can't afford spreaders over
$30 but most of there stuff seems to be good quality. I believe at one
time they had a line of Aluminum spreaders.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 4, 11:58�am, Phisherman wrote:
I have gone through three lawn spreaders in the last 18 years, all of
them Scotts. �I can see the quality has greatly decresed in the
materials used. �The plastic part that turns the seed/fertilizer broke
(in some better spreaders this part looks like a metal cotter pin). �

I'd like recommendations for a good spreader for home owners. �I have
just under one acre and use mostly walk-behind equipment. �Prefer
something not to exceed $150 and something that corresponds to number
settings on most bagged products. �Thanks.

A $40 Scotts spreader every six years is not much cost, in fact that's
very inexpensive. You can buy more costly commercial spreaders but
there's no guarantee you won't be spending just as much over time if
not more. Only you can decide how quickly you want to cover your
acre, if you have a riding mower the towables cost more but hold more
volume and are much faster. Golf courses use LESCO pruducts but those
are very expensive, you don't need that type for one acre. I would
continue with the Scotts spreader, if you wash them well after every
use they will last a lot longer than six years, mine is still going
strong after 15 years... just used it last week to over seed an acre.

http://tinyurl.com/4x94g4

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._ite=spreaders

Lawn Spreaders Rob United Kingdom 10 23-09-2012 10:34 AM
Lawn spreaders renedrag Lawns 3 19-03-2009 01:06 PM
New lawn now 2", leave trimmings on lawn? MM United Kingdom 7 12-05-2005 09:53 PM
Riding lawn mower and lawn roller Eric Gardening 1 02-05-2005 08:06 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM