GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   four-o'clock crossing and breeding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/179222-four-oclock-crossing-breeding.html)

Zoot 16-10-2008 02:14 AM

four-o'clock crossing and breeding

I planted about 100 four-o'clock plants this year, and they grew quite well.
Many of them were seeds that were supposed to be multicolored, but every one
of them came out solid red. There is not one multicolored flower in the
entire batch. So I ended up with a lot of red, white, yellow and one pink
flowering plant.

Question - what are seeds from these plants likely to do? Am I likely to get
a mix of different colors, or is it more likely that the red will dominate
and give me a bunch of red flowering plants? And any guesses why the
mulitocolored plants all turned out to be red flowering?