Old 16-10-2008, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

Default Best kind of shepherds hook for bird-feeders, plants, etc?

I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 16-10-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

On Oct 16, 9:14�am, Newbie wrote:
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or �seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I don't know that an actual shepherd's hook will work, on the ones
I've seen the curve points down with not enough recurve for hanging
anything. I have a wrought iron plant hangar that I mostly use for
hanging hummingbird feeders but it will easily support like two 20
pound hanging plants... being a double it's actually more mechanically
sound as it balances the weight, a single will flex under more than
like ten pounds. It's made of ordinary round stock with a decorative
casting that supports the scecond curve, attached with welds. The
part that goes into the ground is a like a trident with two shorter
side prongs welded on... just step on it like a garden spade, very
stable and wont rotate. I bought it many years ago at a plant
nursery, I still see very similar ones for sale, for the real deal
they're not cheap... I've seen cheapo plastic replicas, probably won't
last a season

I probably have a better picture somewhere but this should give a good
idea: http://i37.tinypic.com/be7y93.jpg

Old 16-10-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds
Val Val is offline

"Newbie" wrote in message
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I've had both prongs and cork screw on my hanging poles. I can't answer the
first question as to the manufacturer. I bought them in stores and can no
longer remember who made them.

I think it all depends on what kind of ground you're jamming these poles
into. All of mine leaned or fell over because of weight, wind, time or all
of the combined conditions. I solved this by getting the round, cardboard
ice cream containers from our Baskin & Robbins (they were a freebee) and
filling them with a QuickCrete mix, them setting the poles in those. After
they set up I buried them in the ground to cover the concrete 'anchor'.
Worked like a charm. The Sunday I was 'planting' the poles I ran out of
daylight and left one unburied, sitting in the flower bed and one I moved to
the deck to get it out of the driveway. Both of these became movable feasts
and stayed upright even though never buried. The one on the deck ended up
being permanent and evolved into a hummer feeder. I had two baskets of the
hummer's favorite flowers and two hummingbird feeders on it.

Val

Old 16-10-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

In article
,

:
: I probably have a better picture somewhere but this should give a good
: idea: http://i37.tinypic.com/be7y93.jpg

Thanks. This is one of the options I am looking at

http://www.greenesteem.com/products/...il.php?PHPSESS
ID=23a8e1c603e46434855fcf436c3274d2&item_id_D=200

I need at least 3 and possibly 4 hooks. That should help with balance,
but the pole has to be strong.
Old 16-10-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

Newbie wrote:
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I would suggest Wild Birds Unlimited:
http://www.shopwbu.com/index/567.0.25214.0.0.0.0

Old 16-10-2008, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

In article , Newbie
wrote:

I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

What I do now.

Post hole about 4 feet place a 1 and 1/4 inch pipe in it surrounded by
stone chips. Have the pipe come up 5 feet. Then place another 1 inch
pipe in it. Add stone in the large pipe to elevate the smaller 4 feet
or so that has a tee in it. Run a length of pipe off the tee. I go 2
feet each side you may want more.
The 1 1/4 inch pipe has 4 baffles to deter rats and squirrels . Best
if the baffles are the type that wobble. I¹ve seen those guys jump up
3 feet and have seen a cat go 3.5 to snatch a chickadee.

Prime and paint with color of choice. This latest technology here.

Bill

Ps No plants or structure for circumventing the baffles with in 4 or
5 feet.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

- James Madison
Old 16-10-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

On Oct 16, 1:20�pm, Newbie wrote:
In article
,

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

You might consider making your own... set a wooden fence post in the
ground and bolt as many hanging arms to it as you want
Old 17-10-2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

Or try what my husband built me a year and a half ago: an 8 foot high abs
pipe with feeder hooks attached to it. No squirrel or chipmunk has been
able to climb it in 18 months! It's cemented into the ground and has a
platform feeder off to one side.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...48697500toHkog

--
Tammie
In Ontario, north of Lake Superior

Old 19-10-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

On Oct 16, 9:14*am, Newbie wrote:
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or *seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Try local tech school or high school that still has metal shop, good
project for basic skills.
If you were a shoprat this is the kind of thing that costs a six pack
or coffee and donuts