GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/179310-sweet-corn.html)

Wally[_3_] 20-10-2008 11:12 AM

Sweet corn

I have posted this on "uk.rec.gardening" but had no response
so I'm trying again on here.
I do hope someone has an answer.
I have still got some (quite a lot) of sweet corn growing
on my allotment that has not ripened.
As the weather is now getting colder, is there still time for
it to ripen ??
or is there a way that it can be picked and ripened at home ??
(like tomatoes')

The plants are going brown and seem to be dying off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wally

beccabunga 22-10-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally[_3_] (Post 819527)
I have posted this on "uk.rec.gardening" but had no response
so I'm trying again on here.
I do hope someone has an answer.
I have still got some (quite a lot) of sweet corn growing
on my allotment that has not ripened.
As the weather is now getting colder, is there still time for
it to ripen ??
or is there a way that it can be picked and ripened at home ??
(like tomatoes')

The plants are going brown and seem to be dying off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wally

Not now. The weather is too cold and the days too short. It's been a difficult year for sensitive plants such as sweet corn.

Cut your losses and hope that next year is better.

Wally[_3_] 22-10-2008 09:45 AM

Sweet corn

--
beccabunga

I kinda thought that's what the answer would be :o(
Thanks for the reply anyway.

Wally

George.com 23-10-2008 09:21 AM

Sweet corn

"Wally" wrote in message
Any help would be appreciated.

Wally

Not now. The weather is too cold and the days too short. It's been a
difficult year for sensitive plants such as sweet corn.

Cut your losses and hope that next year is better.

--
beccabunga

I kinda thought that's what the answer would be :o(
Thanks for the reply anyway.

Wally

I posted a reply under uk gardening Waz. My opinion is the exact opposite,
without knowing your growing conditions. I has corn in last autumn until may
and still got some yield.

rob