GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Daffodils (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/179539-daffodils.html)

[email protected] 31-10-2008 10:09 AM

Daffodils

Can you plant Daffodil bulbs in sand and get good results?
MJ

Bill R 31-10-2008 05:16 PM

Daffodils

wrote:
Can you plant Daffodil bulbs in sand and get good results?
MJ

If watered well they do well as annuals but since sand does not have the
nutrients they need they likely won't develop blooms for a second season.

When I was in Vietnam in the late 60s we had an Air Force Colonel who
wanted a spring garden for the front of the headquarters building. In
the fall someone flew to Japan to get several hundred bulbs (couldn't
find one bulb in all of Vietnam). They were planted in late October,
wattered daily, and bloomed before Christmas. The blooms lasted about
one day. Lucky that I was not there a year latter to see if the came back.

So if you are going to plan them in warm sand don't expect them to
behave like they do in cooler areas.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

To see pictures from my garden visit