Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Sheldon" wrote
Ummm, yes I did.. I stated I live in Herts, UK.

You be typing like eubonics... I suppose you can't spell
Hertsfordshire. If you wanted to stay pure UK you should not have
crossposted, crossposting is always poor form anyway... I asked
someone I know well who lived in London for many years, she says
Hertsforshire is a slum, a ghetto of uneducated inbred miscreants...
it's no wonder you can't express yourself in proper English.

And yes, we need need to plant garlic in November , so that it gets
rooted and sprouting before the winter sets in.

Rooted, yes but why sprouted garlic before winter. If sprouted garlic
is what you need and you say you have sprouted garlic, then your
question is inane, nay, insane. I say, old chap, you don't make any
sense, old bean. trying my hand at UK speak

But my question was whether or not it matters that the tops get bent
over with snow and ice. Will they recover.

And some priggish lout claims England gets no snow and ice... I knew
he's an idiot but arguing with idiots is a waste, it's not possible
for idiots to learn.

It seems you're asking a theorhetical... only one way to find out
about your garlic, wait. It's amazing how folks from the UK
especially are incapable of constructing a proper sentence... and then
they get their knickers all twisted when they don't get the responses
they wish.

Your ignorance of the accepted short version of an English County and your
ignoring of the UK bit in the original post was nobody else's fault but
yours. There is a whole world outside the US. It is you who made a fool of
yourself by spouting on adamantly about your way of growing garlic which has
no relevance for the UK and the OP at all.
Then you persist in blaming everyone else and
twisting/misreading/misunderstanding their comments to continue your silly
diatribe for some strange reason known only to you, and with every new post
you confirm my thoughts about you.

I apologize. Shelly really isn't one of us. He would rather be a jack
booted Israeli chasing Palestinian children around with a tank. If
you want to come and take him and give him a good hiding, we will
all understand.

Sincerely yours,
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Your ignorance of the accepted short version of an English County and your
ignoring of the UK bit in the original post was nobody else's fault but
yours.

The only ignorance is in if one desires to keep it pure UK is DON'T
CROSSPOST.

I got yer UK... GO ****ITH THYSELF! G

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Your right Bob. Shelly has several screws loose. He really needs some
nice padded accommodations.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

It only gets worse if your name is Christian.
-------

From: Sheldon
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: I would like some feedback..
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm thinking people here are close to my target audience, being that
garden lovers usually like ponds even if they don't personally have
one.

Thank You,
Christian

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the
arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your
name.
-------

Shelly is really an embarrassment to sane people everywhere.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Watch out. He has 6 attack cats to defend him!!!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hi All.

I do not think I will grow Garlic any more as it seems far to complicated.

Richard M. Watkin.

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,

Old 05-11-2008, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"R M Watkin" wrote:

Hi All.

I do not think I will grow Garlic any more as it seems far to complicated.

Richard M. Watkin.

I do hope you are pulling our leg...

Old 05-11-2008, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kate" wrote...
One of the best parts of gardening - next year. I sold at a small farmers
market for a few years but would never take my garlic - MINE! All mine!
One farmer sold elephant garlic - huge things, but it aappeared to only
have one clove?

Elephant Garlic is actually related to Leeks and isn't a true Garlic, the
taste is not that of true Garlic either IMO. Mind you some years ago whilst
in Cyprus we came across enormous true Garlic being sold in the market, wish
I'd bought some to try here in the UK but it probably wouldn't have done
well.

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't work
entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

We use Bordeaux Mixture sprayed on our plants to ward off the Blight, works
well provided you keep it topped up if it rains hard for a few days and is
easily washed off the fruit before use. Most of our Tomatoes are used for
cooking so are skinned anyway. We picked our last outdoor Tomatoes on
Sunday, amazingly late, after the plants were killed by a frost.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kate" wrote

Gary Woods wrote:

[...]
Oh, well... as the Senators fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year."

One of the best parts of gardening - next year.

*amen!*

[...]
For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't work
entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate, something I've experimented with on the tomato blight, with great
success, is spraying the foliage/plant with ionic silver. A human friendly,
and very potent fungicide. I believe if I'm consistent with applications, I
might be able to get it knocked down almost entirely. Though before you
think, *oh my*, 30$ a gallon spraying 30 plants at about 2 gallons an
application, check this out for ionic silver, (at about a dollar a gallon).
It's the Collgen2 I use to make a 6 PPM solution.
http://www.health2us.com/colloid.htm Fred Peschel has really designed an
impressive little unit that works a treat and is not unreasonably expensive.
I also use the silver to treat a well and it is 100% effective at
eliminating bacteria in the water system. Ionic silver is a real cure.

Steve Young

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Steve Young wrote:

"kate" wrote

Gary Woods wrote:

[...]

[...]

Thanks fr the idea, Steve. Maybe I'll get the starter bottle for next
season and see how it does before I make the bigger investment. I was
planning on letting the tomato crop rest a year but maybe...have you
tried treating the soil itself so would that be basicly polluting the soil?

Kate
Old 06-11-2008, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kate" wrote

Steve Young wrote:

"kate" wrote

[...]

Basically Kate, I wanted to throw out the idea because tomato blight is a
real heart breaker when you have a really nice crop coming along and you see
the fungus beginning to consume the plants. I know there are several
chemical treatments, but I and others here are trying to minimize chemical
use, if not eliminate it all together. I've noted you subscribe to this
interest as well. You might have noticed that the site I linked also
discusses ionic silver and health. That's actually how I came to learn of
this product, and then discovered its benefits in agriculture and as a well
water disinfectant. ... course I began dabbling with it.

For many years we had a stinkin ole well that only reacted to chlorine
shocks and then only for a short time before the the bacteria would return.
Each time it would be worse than it was before. I guess it was because the
well had been neglected many years before I moved here. After about 2 years
of silver treatment, our water is some of the freshest smelling and tasting
mineral water around. I feel silver got right down to the root of the
problem and knocked it out. I do continue a regular maintenance
amount.

I was planning on letting the tomato crop rest a year but maybe...have you
tried treating the soil itself so would that be basicly polluting the
soil?

The sad thing about the blight is that the disease will live in the soil for
many years before it finally dies. I think I've read 7 or 8. So yes, you're
right that killing it in the soil, where it lives, would be advantageous.
However, it's hard to imagine even 1 or 2 years without tomatoes, let alone
7 or 8. Moving the planting around to different parts of the garden will
help, but I don't have 8 separated spaces large enough

No, ionic silver at 6 PPM would not effect the soil with any harmful
contamination, ... *except* that it may kill soil microbes as well as the
funguses. Soil microbes are efficient microbes (EM) when it comes to
delivering minerals to the plants. Composting generates many of these
microbes naturally from a varied feedstock. I wonder if one could, in the
fall, spray a couple gallons on an infected area and till it in. Then in the
early spring work in a good load of compost. Here's an EM jump start if one
desired : http://www.scdworld.com/shop/product...duct_id=040101

If you'd like to try ionic silver, I'd be happy to make up a few gallons
for you and several requesters, for the cost of shipping from NE Ohio.
Anyone interested, un-munge my email and send me a hey.
I'll do a dozen or 2 gallons.

Steve Young

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"R M Watkin" wrote:

Hi All.

I do not think I will grow Garlic any more as it seems far to
complicated.

Richard M. Watkin.

I do hope you are pulling our leg...

Hi Om,

Garlic is dead easy to grow, I do not see what all the fuss was about. After
all this is a garden forum not for english lessons.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"R M Watkin" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"R M Watkin" wrote:

Hi All.

I do not think I will grow Garlic any more as it seems far to
complicated.

Richard M. Watkin.

I do hope you are pulling our leg...

Hi Om,

Garlic is dead easy to grow, I do not see what all the fuss was about. After
all this is a garden forum not for english lessons.

Richard M. Watkin.

I don't believe I participated in the spelling and punctuation flames
this time. ;-) I ignored it.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 4, 2:04*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

It's because they are all those dam humans.
I got the same problem on this side of the pond.
More dam humans.

Any time you deal with those varmints, it is going to be trouble.

Now you know why I like my garden and live stock.
They mess with me, I eat them or plow them under.
;-)
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

CanopyCo wrote:

It's because they are all those dam humans.
I got the same problem on this side of the pond.
More dam humans.

Plenty damn help keeping the water on your side of the pond... ya
oughta try some beaver... ahahahaha. . . .

Any time you deal with those varmints, it is going to be trouble.

Yup, never enough of those after dinner varmints to go around. BDG
Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

Sheldon wrote:
I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

It's because they are all those dam humans.
I got the same problem on this side of the pond.
More dam humans.

Any time you deal with those varmints, it is going to be trouble.

Now you know why I like my garden and live stock.
They mess with me, I eat them or plow them under.
;-)

I like that concept. chuckles