Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

Steve Young wrote:

"kate" wrote

Steve Young wrote:

"kate" wrote

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't
work entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate, something I've experimented with on the tomato blight, with great
success, is spraying the foliage/plant with ionic silver. A human
friendly, and very potent fungicide. I believe if I'm consistent with
applications, I might be able to get it knocked down almost entirely.
Though before you think, *oh my*, 30$ a gallon spraying 30 plants at
about 2 gallons an application, check this out for ionic silver, (at
about a dollar a gallon). It's the Collgen2 I use to make a 6 PPM
solution. http://www.health2us.com/colloid.htm Fred Peschel has
really designed an impressive little unit that works a treat and is
not unreasonably expensive. I also use the silver to treat a well and
it is 100% effective at eliminating bacteria in the water system.
Ionic silver is a real cure.

Thanks fr the idea, Steve. Maybe I'll get the starter bottle for next
season and see how it does before I make the bigger investment.

Basically Kate, I wanted to throw out the idea because tomato blight is a
real heart breaker when you have a really nice crop coming along and you
see
the fungus beginning to consume the plants. I know there are several
chemical treatments, but I and others here are trying to minimize chemical
use, if not eliminate it all together. I've noted you subscribe to this
interest as well. You might have noticed that the site I linked also
discusses ionic silver and health. That's actually how I came to learn of
this product, and then discovered its benefits in agriculture and as a well
water disinfectant. ... course I began dabbling with it.

For many years we had a stinkin ole well that only reacted to chlorine
shocks and then only for a short time before the the bacteria would return.
Each time it would be worse than it was before. I guess it was because the
well had been neglected many years before I moved here. After about 2 years
of silver treatment, our water is some of the freshest smelling and tasting
mineral water around. I feel silver got right down to the root of the
problem and knocked it out. I do continue a regular maintenance
amount.

I was planning on letting the tomato crop rest a year but maybe...have
you
tried treating the soil itself so would that be basicly polluting the
soil?

The sad thing about the blight is that the disease will live in the soil
for
many years before it finally dies. I think I've read 7 or 8. So yes,
you're
right that killing it in the soil, where it lives, would be advantageous.
However, it's hard to imagine even 1 or 2 years without tomatoes, let alone
7 or 8. Moving the planting around to different parts of the garden will
help, but I don't have 8 separated spaces large enough

No, ionic silver at 6 PPM would not effect the soil with any harmful
contamination, ... *except* that it may kill soil microbes as well as the
funguses. Soil microbes are efficient microbes (EM) when it comes to
delivering minerals to the plants. Composting generates many of these
microbes naturally from a varied feedstock. I wonder if one could, in the
fall, spray a couple gallons on an infected area and till it in. Then in
the
early spring work in a good load of compost. Here's an EM jump start if
one
desired : http://www.scdworld.com/shop/product...duct_id=040101

If you'd like to try ionic silver, I'd be happy to make up a few gallons
for you and several requesters, for the cost of shipping from NE Ohio.
Anyone interested, un-munge my email and send me a hey.
I'll do a dozen or 2 gallons.

Steve Young

Thanks, Steve - that's mighty generous of you!

Kate
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kate" wrote

Steve Young wrote:

If you'd like to try ionic silver, I'd be happy to make up a few gallons
for you and several requesters, for the cost of shipping from NE Ohio.
Anyone interested, un-munge my email and send me a hey.
I'll do a dozen or 2 gallons.

Thanks, Steve - that's mighty generous of you!

well, *thanks!*

silver is a potent killer of nasty things

imagine, for only the cost of the device, one can turn a 60 cent gallon of
distilled water into a human friendly green terminator. What a helper
around the house / garden, in the battle against bacteria and disease

Steve Young

Old 14-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered User

We never had any damage to our garlic before, that they from attack, but not this year. Show all lost the first top within a few days, I can see where they were eaten. Several nights to a developer, I have put a couple of rodent bait box began to try to kill the culprits. What we need most is to get a mouse the taste of garlic.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 15-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
With the recent heavy snow and ice we have had this past week, a goodly
number of my autumn planted garlics and onions have had their tops bent
over.

Will they recover or will I need to replant again?

Ed
(Herts, UK)
Hi Ed,

I have been cultivating autumn planted garlic for years, they always look a bit rough after a hard winter.

However once the soil temperature begins rising they will respond, just let nature take its course they should be fine.

I don't plant autumn onions so can't give an opinion on that

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute it is totally useless unless it is open